1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

News from Aotearoa/New Zealand and the Pacific Islands

Discussion in 'Regional news' started by Hutan, May 19, 2018.

1. glennthefrog

glennthefrog Established Member (Voting Rights)

what I can't find are the studies in question, does anybody knows where can I find them? thanks!

2. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Woolie, Subtropical Island and Hutan like this.
  3. glennthefrog

glennthefrog Established Member (Voting Rights)

Amw66, MEMarge and Andy like this.
  4. RoseE

RoseE Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Amw66 and Woolie like this.
  5. Ravn

Ravn Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think all the publicity came out of the Brain Health Research lecture. I know they were trying to get the press interested at the time but it took a while to catch on. Until it got on breakfast television that is, and then the others had a moment of FOMO or something.

Here's another (short) article. The journo must have read my complaints about the headlines - this one's an improvement: Dunedin researchers break ground on ME/CFS - but then sadly ignored my advice against overly focusing on the psychological vs biological debate. Ah well.

https://www.odt.co.nz/news/dunedin/researchers-break-ground-mecfs

Last edited: Dec 13, 2020
  6. RoseE

I noticed that the NZ Doctor article was tagged as an 'Otago University press release', so maybe that is what got the mainstream press interested? And Otago Uni probably thought it was worth doing the press release because of the BHRC 2020 lecture?
    I might make a few enquiries to find out the chain of actions, so that we can learn about how we can improve & trigger press coverage.

Ravn, Subtropical Island and Chezboo like this.
  7. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member (Voting Rights)

8. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I seem to recall a post some time back that reckoned they were connected in some way.

Ravn, RoseE and rvallee like this.
  9. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ravn, RoseE, John Mac and 1 other person like this.
  10. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

S4ME threads on the referenced studies:

https://www.s4me.info/threads/a-swa...-sweetman-vallings-tate-et-al-aug-2020.16386/

https://www.s4me.info/threads/chang...emic-dysfunctions-helliwell-et-al-2020.17624/

Ravn, RoseE, Kalliope and 1 other person like this.
  11. Ravn

I like @Carolyn Wilshire's comment, my bolding:

alktipping, MEMarge, Amw66 and 13 others like this.
  12. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Indeed, that was my reaction to seeing this headline: there is no need to disprove it is psychosomatic because such a thing has never been proven.

Yet in a way it has to be argued, there is a political element, but this is right in line with: NASA shows the Moon is NOT made of cheese.

Of course that's where the whole horseshit about a "complex interplay of mind and body" come into play, pretending they don't mean the things they say and they don't mean "fully" psychosomatic but frankly that's arguing whether only some part of the Moon is made of cheese, same argument in the end.

The people making those claims have no clue what they're talking about. What they have is confidence in their beliefs and the influence (and lack of integrity) to push their own opinions and beliefs into clinical practice, based on nothing but their convictions.

13. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

Although the SMC NZ was established independently of the SMC UK, they are connected, in that both are part of an international alliance of SMC's, which includes some other countries too (South Africa comes to mind, but I can't remember which else).

14. RoseE

I came across this virtual conference in March 18th - 19th March.
    CHF (Consumers Health Forum) Virtual Summit 2021: Shifting Gears
    Australia and New Zealand Consumer Experience and Leadership in Health Summit
    http://www.chfsummit.com.au/ehome/index.php?eventid=518286&

The conference invites consumers to attend and give input (125 free registrations available). A two /three day event would be hard for someone with ME/CFS, but could be selective about sessions attended?
    Could also be interesting for anyone involved in community health care for people with ME/CFS - as it focuses on codesign of services etc.
    NZ stream content not in programme yet.
    Too late for abstract submissions but a Big Ideas Forum might still provide a platform.

Good to see consumer voice is being actively encouraged for health service design /delivery. Shame we often hear about these events too late for targeted involvement.

15. Ravn

For the Big Ideas Forum:
    http://www.chfsummit.com.au/ehome/518286/bigideasforum/

But there are several "panel discussions with live Q & A" after the various live streams, for registered participants only presumably.

Not sure how I feel about the term consumer in this context but apart from that the whole thing sounds super interesting. Alas, light years outside my energy envelope. Some topics:
    • Experienced Based Co-Design (EBCD)
    • Consumers as Researchers
    • Consumer-Based Health Care
    • Consumer Leadership
    • Consumer Enablement
    Full programme here: https://na.eventscloud.com/file_upl...ded8e_CHFSummit2021-Program21December2020.pdf
    Ironic, too, that they always organise things in a way that excludes many "consumers". A little while ago I had a long back and forth with my local District Health Board about joining their patient advisory council but they just couldn't/wouldn't adapt their way of working to accommodate my needs. "Consumer enablement"? Whatever.

alktipping, Hutan, MEMarge and 5 others like this.
  16. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Manager needed at MECFS Canterbury
    Thursday, January 14, 2021
    https://www.healthychristchurch.org.nz/news/vacancies/2021/1/manager-needed-at-mecfs-canterbury

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2021
  17. RoseE

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
    Ravn, Dolphin, Snow Leopard and 2 others like this.
  18. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

$10,000 BayTrust grant offers lifeline to chronic illness charity
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/rotorua-...c-illness-charity/GA7QYCE2V3Y4QIII3M6FDWSHT4/

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2021
    Ravn, Chezboo, Sean and 6 others like this.
  19. RoseE

Ravn, Andy, alktipping and 2 others like this.
  20. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Woolie, cfsandmore, Ravn and 3 others like this.