News from Australia

Discussion in 'Regional news' started by Kalliope, Oct 14, 2020.

1. bobbler

bobbler Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Are they that stupid that they don't realise the fact that their very first word was 'Some' [health services contact covid patients] makes the rest of what they say laughable BS

unless they are citing a study proving that 'all the rest who didn't contact them had no long covid patients'

Even if you were just going by a sentence needing to fit with the laws of logic?

EDIT: and I hate the fact I have to add 'had no long covid patients' doesn't mean when they just refuse to investigate or acknowledge anyone to pretend long covid didn't exist.

2. bobbler

Interesting. So does Gerrard have the same worries when he is giving out Public Health information about eg STDs or heart problems

or .. what else is it that he does as part of his job as a campaign area?

I'd be interested to see someone posting a comparison of what he says on another area vs this as a comparator side-by-side with each other

For example is he that bad he still believes in the 'type A personality' causing heart attacks type thing too?

3. bobbler

Yep they've made it seem like a country-based comparison rather than a condition-based one.

And of course that is the classic reframe the set technique - look there are those who have the same thinking issue in the UK too rather than 'compared to what you'd expect from something that calls itself medicine or a science..'

4. bobbler

To ask the obvious question - and this applies to UK as much too:

of the professions that we've ended up being landed dealing with, which of them are actually taught this compulsorily at the start and then throughout their courses and vocational training?

Is the issue that they are some of the few degrees and training areas that critical thinking and critical evaluation are not built in as a requirement? ANd the few non-arts degree areas that have not been required to inhale and always remember to keep returning to these principles of logical thinking and what makes something science or truth or fact eg Kuhn?

5. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The ABC's Norman Swan commented on this issue yesterday:

Why it might be too early to stop saying long-COVID

(I haven't got the cognitive capacity to listen to it, however some people have said that it's not nearly as ignorant and offensive as Swan's usual contributions on Long Covid and ME/CFS issues)

Last edited: Mar 18, 2024
    ukxmrv, bobbler, Hutan and 4 others like this.
  6. oldtimer

oldtimer Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A balanced report. Norman Swan is a bit dubious about the Qld survey for reasons he explains.

He is open to ME/CFS being similar to long 'covvid' and hopes that covid research will help but he also says that the big difference is that the number of organs affected is greater in long covid, so they are not the same.

He casts doubt on ME being legitimate if it can't be linked to a viral infection.

It's heartening that he seems to have changed his tune. (Maybe he had already and I didn't know.)

ukxmrv, MEMarge, Hutan and 5 others like this.
  7. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That was a decent piece from Norman Swan, much better than six months ago and very much better than three years ago. Perhaps a little more evidence that the tide is turning.

ukxmrv, MEMarge, bobbler and 10 others like this.
  8. Art Vandelay

A sympathetic article about severe ME and the lack of support and research funding in Australia:

His mother is apparently a tenacious advocate. She managed to get a story published a year ago when bushfires hit their farm and they were unable to move their son due to his severity.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2024
    horton6, ukxmrv, bobbler and 9 others like this.
  9. Art Vandelay

ukxmrv, MEMarge, Kitty and 6 others like this.
  10. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Solstice, Midnattsol, bobbler and 7 others like this.
  11. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Here's our interview. Also covers Putrino's new study with Yale's Iwasaki on sex differences in Long Covid.

Simone, ukxmrv, Solstice and 4 others like this.
  12. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The people who promote antivaccination and insist that Long Covid = Long Vaxx especially love it. That's the kind of company our biopsychosocial overlords love to keep around, doesn't seem to bother them one bit that people who are always wrong about everything love their ideas.

They also seem entirely clueless that they are essentially handing out stockpiles of nuclear weapons to the antivaccine movement. Even as they are "baffled" by how strong antivaccine sentiment is growing. Especially now that all other measures to control respiratory diseases have been made politically and socially unacceptable.

With experts like this...

alktipping, Solstice, Sean and 3 others like this.
  13. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

14. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Where would a population of influenza positive controls come from? I have never been given a formal test for influenza. Even in Queensland.

alktipping, Kitty, Sean and 3 others like this.
  15. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Kitty, Sean, oldtimer and 3 others like this.
  16. Hutan

It's a very good article but there are some errors. It falls into the 'research proves a whole range of biological abnormalities' trap.
    Also, very sadly, New Zealand has not revised our guidelines. The link there is to paper by ANZMES.

Good to see Andrew Lloyd's conflicts of interests set out.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2024
    bobbler, alktipping, Kitty and 7 others like this.
  17. Hutan

Starlight, Kitty, Solstice and 6 others like this.
  18. Simone

Simone Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Emerge Australia hosted an event at Parliament House in Canberra today. There were a wide range of speakers (including little old me). Details of the event: https://www.emerge.org.au/sick-and-tired-casting-a-long-shadow-long-covid-inquiry-2023/

Unfortunately, due to technical difficulties outside Emerge’s control (to do with this being a sitting parliamentary week), there was only audio available for those not in the room. But two presentations were pre-recorded, and for these there is video available.

My presentation: David Putrino’s presentation: I highly recommend David’s presentation. He goes hard on GET and behavioural approaches in no uncertain terms.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2024
  19. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Bloody marvellous presentation @Simone

:hug::hug: Hope you can rest now

Last edited: Mar 27, 2024
  20. Solstice

Solstice Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Also goes after the effort preference bullshit propagated by Wallitt.