1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Millions Missing May 2018 - in Germany

Discussion in 'Advocacy Projects and Campaigns' started by Joh, Feb 10, 2018.

1. Miri

Miri Established Member (Voting Rights)

Hey Joh,
    I think there are some misunderstanding and I would be happy to cleart it up. Especially in a foreign language - english ist not my mother tongue - things can be quickly understood the wrong way.

I did not say that Tübingen is decided yet but if the majority of fb would be for Tübingen I could them refer to our group. This was just an example how it could might work out in theory.

The other thing I was not clear about or did not notify that there is already another person going to ask the DG for the shoes. If this is the case and that person get the shoes for Berlin than I guess for you it is decided that it will take place in Berlin. I am absolutely fine with that and would support this action in Berlin.

Just thought we are still in the process finding resourses and places. Did not want to interrupt or slow done any process.

I am fine with any place and happy to support millions missing wherever it will take place in Germany :)

Hope misunderstanding could be cleared up.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    Joh likes this.
  2. Joh

Joh Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hi @Miri,

Thanks for your message and English is also a foreign language for me plus our brainfog. :)

The pwME from Berlin told me weeks ago that she would like to organize Millions Missing. She also contacted the DG weeks ago. (But I only learnt yesterday that they'll talk in the next days and it didn't work out earlier). I came here basically to find people to support that existing Berlin plan (and to check out who would be interested in supporting Millions Missing at all). But I'm also open to other plans and haven't heard anything definite about Berlin yet. As I'm in bed the location is unimportant for me and I can support protests everywhere. But as the person in Berlin was already in contact with the DG and they seemed to like the idea of a protest in the capital and it's close to HH, I guess that - if that works out - they would participate there and give the shoes and other stuff.

I had a quick look at my first messages and I thought I had written about the Berlin plan but maybe I should have been clearer, sorry. As there was only one person so far and I didn't know if they've talked to the DG yet or what would be decided, I was (and am) also open to other ideas.

Miri likes this.
  3. Miri

I also wrote to the DG and ask if they are planning something. May be we just wait a couple of days until that person has talked to the DG. May be there will also be an announcement from the DG itself that they are supporting the action in Berlin. If we have any further information we can come back to our discussion and decide how we want to proceed and if there are members among us who want to organize a potential mm action beside Berlin. What do you thing? Anyway please feel free to continue the discussion. These are just my thoughts. :)

Happy that our misunderstanding could be cleared. The thing is I am so happy to meet people who are dedicated and really motivated to bring a change and take action although they are very sick. I don't want to be anybody disheartened. This disease and everything that comes with it takes already a toll so we should support each other in any way possible :).

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    Joh likes this.
  4. Joh

@Miri, thanks for your nice message! As the person in Berlin can't do it alone, my understanding was that there only will be a protest if there's support from other volunteers. And from what I understand (but I can't speak for the DG in any way and am not in the loop) the DG would prefer a supporting role for an existing protest. I guess that nobody is fixated on Berlin, but it was the first idea, is close to the shoes and has the capital appeal (and a person well enough and willing to take part at the physical protest). Can't explain it in English, I somehow feel that it's a circle and the decisions if it will happen in Berlin will also depend on us and if there's volunteer support, that's why I wanted to gather volunteers. Not sure when they'll talk about MM, as there's also an Unrest screening next week that both might take part in (both=my friend in Berlin and the DG) and they're also talking about that (and it comes first). Maybe we could also plan stuff that doesn't depend on the city alone or check out who would support a protest at all, no matter the city (permissions, presswork, flyers etc.). I fear I can't express everything in English like I'd like to. :)

Miri likes this.
  5. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

sorry to but in again......... @Inara yes it must be very catchy as a song as I still remember it after 40 years!
    Clearly very popular also as it has 14,586,597 views!
    I shall leave you to your deliberations. Viel spass:)

6. Inara

Inara Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks for clarifying, @Joh and @Miri.

So, let me summarize: Berlin is the choice because there is someone who's healthy and will attend and the DG will be able to attend (but not to organize).

I have not the capability to be present in Berlin or Tübingen (there only for an hour or so), i.e. we would need a person who could be there longer, like in Berlin. If I understood correctly, up til now there is no such person for Tübingen. If so, Tübingen is out.

Concerning flyers I can ask my brother-in-law. Please let me know if I should. I would like to suggest cards instead of flyers. I once saw such cards; they had a great design, and the most important info could be seen clearly and stringently at one glance.

Miri and Joh like this.
  7. Joh

I don't know. :)

Not healthy, but doing well enough at the moment to attend and would be willing to organize the event in Berlin but can't do it alone. There are also some friends as potential healthy allies in the picture.

This was my hope, but I don't know. I've now also asked (like @Miri).

MSEsperanza, Miri and Inara like this.
  8. Inara

Ok, but this sounds concrete.

Can we vote? Shall we fix Berlin at this point?

Of course, other cities can join, too, but we need at least one person who can be there for some hours.

Do we have such a person for Tübingen or Düsseldorf or...?

Now, how to proceed with Berlin? Can we create a to-do-list and distribute the tasks? This should include financing (e.g. for flyers) I'd say.

Or shall we wait for the replies of DG and LVS first? Probably better...

Joh likes this.
  9. Miri

I would suggest that we wait for their answers.

I know one person from fb who would be interested in Düsseldorf or cologne. Problem are the shoes. If we have one action in Berlin where the shoes are used we do not have shoes for another action...

But we will see. Hope the DG and LVS are answering soon

Inara likes this.
  10. Inara

Maybe we could start a call on s4me for used shoes?

11. Joh

Inara and Miri like this.
  12. Joh

I guess for shoes it would be good to know the city so they don't have to be transported. Also a storage would need to be found (to store them after the protest).

Inara likes this.
  13. Miri

Guys quick update. The LVS gave me just an informal answer that they are still in the thinking process with the DG if they do a mm action or not. They really would like to butt resources are scarce. I told them that we are highly motivated to support them and may be they should give a call for volunteers on their fb page. I don‘t know if they like the idea.

How can we convince them.

@Joh i will take part in the call on Thursday. Better time . Already signed in.

Inara, Lenny, lycaena and 3 others like this.
  14. Miri

Hey guys just wanted to let you know that there is a new fb group called millions missing campaign and is solely dedicated to the campaign this year. A lot lg good Information.

One thing Ben HsuBorger Said that shoes are not an obligation. A mm Action can also be done without shoes. Shoes are a high organizational thing.

Joh and Inara like this.
  15. Miri

16. Miri

Hey guys just wanted to let you know that we now have a facebook group Called #MEActionDeutschland. There we can plan our actions like millions missing. Please join this group if you want to help organize actions like millions missing in Germany.

@Joh I am in contact with the person who wants to organize mm in Berlin. She worries about you because of your fb account issues. hope it is resolved quickly.

Joh, svetoslav80, lycaena and 2 others like this.
  17. Inara

Well, sad for me, but it's ok.

Joh likes this.
  18. Miri

We will keep up the discussion here too.
    I can inform you.

Why don‘t you want to join on fb?

Inara likes this.
  19. Inara

20. MErmaid

MErmaid Guest

Hi @Joh @Inara

I am juggling a few full plates right now. I still need to research different software packages to find a good fit to accommodate a new global advocacy site that focuses on posting and completing tasks. Once I can better understand what’s involved (software maintenance fees, developer costs, hosting costs, etc) then I will approach Ben at MEAction.

FB sells your data, so I understand the privacy concerns.

I don’t think I can pull a new website together in time to be useful for MM in May. But it’s sorely needed, because I can not get healthy people, doctors, & Pharma who may be interested in helping us involved otherwise. We are not partitioned here at S4ME to accomodate different user bases.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    Joh, mari_gold, Inara and 2 others like this.