1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Michael Sharpe skewered by @JohntheJack on Twitter

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Indigophoton, Apr 9, 2018.

1. Indigophoton

Indigophoton Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The context, as supplied by Sharpe, suggests that he is so convinced of the accuracy and veracity of what was written in the PACE paper, and so upset about the allegations of misconduct, that he thinks Carol M is telling porkies to MPs.

At what point will it occur to him that maybe he doesn't understand his own field of research?

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
    2kidswithME, JaimeS, Lidia and 13 others like this.
  2. large donner

large donner Guest

Oh dear how dare anyone be critical of scientific studies and scientists? Doh!!!

Technically speaking PACE isn't a scientific study anyway it just a jumbled up mess of nonsense with more moving of goalposts than the Scottish football fans attending a match against England at Wembley. scottish goalposts moving.jpg

MEMarge, JaimeS, Woolie and 7 others like this.
  3. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't understand the 'can't respond' thing at all either. We've been pushing them to respond for years.

This tweet has disappeared now. Anyone got a copy of it?

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
  4. Joh

Joh Senior Member (Voting Rights)

JaimeS, Lidia, Woolie and 18 others like this.
  5. Matt (@DondochakkaB)

Matt (@DondochakkaB) Established Member (Voting Rights)

I can honestly say, I don't know what happens next here. These psychiatrists have had the freedom to lead on this disease without accountability for decades. They're used to having access to power and the ear of the media. Working amongst colleagues of a like mind and with the favour of institutions, it's easy to see how they have thrived for such a long time. If Sharpe has a conscience and (strangely) I suspect he does, the weight of reversing his opinion is so potentially damaging to his mental health, that it has become inconceivable.

It has become something of an anthropological curiousity at this point.

I think the Lancet is likely to make some sort of move first. Surely it must smell the foul air after thursday's debate. Wouldn't be the worst gesture to offer to publish Wilshire et al's paper.

JaimeS, Lidia, Woolie and 12 others like this.
  6. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

From PACE (2011), Panel 2, page 12.

Make of it what you will.

Simone, MEMarge, janice and 16 others like this.
  7. Inara

Inara Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Maybe that's not Sharpe himself, but someone he pays for twittering? :D

8. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

No someone was hinting last night that SWessely had probably given MS a bottle of vodka

MEMarge, JaimeS, alktipping and 5 others like this.
  9. Inara

Inara Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In my experience, up til now, all pain got worse because of activity; I simply ignored it as long as possible to a point where I couldn't anymore, and then, actually, it was too late, i.e. the damage was done and irreversible.

Pretty stupid by the way! Tell a professional athlete to ignore his pain due to injuries; it won't be long and he's no professional athlete anymore. How could one ever believe the "ignore the symptons, they are not meaningful" crap? I can't believe I did somewhere in my life, thinking about it.

10. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

Has that become a fact now? I'll have to be more careful ...

Simone, MEMarge, JaimeS and 9 others like this.
  11. Skycloud

Skycloud Senior Member (Voting Rights)

True!

What I'm saying is it wouldn't have been (or still be) be nearly so damaging if establishment institutions hadn't failed in their oversight, or colluded with and empowered that model and the Wessely group. It suited them, still does, I should think, until they are shamed out of it. For insurance companies and successive governments it was a gift for their policies. They are culpable for the harm too and they still have the power. BPSers, especially Wessely, have been enabled to have international reach in more than one sector, rather than left as comparatively lowly clinicians, because they had the right idea at the right time, with a veneer of authority, to suit the powers that be. (Not meant to slight clinicians!)

I was referring to PACE and Sharpe as a focus for that point.

eta - probably too off topic

alktipping, Hutan, Inara and 2 others like this.
  12. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
  13. Luther Blissett

Luther Blissett Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm about 20 pages behind, but if anyone is interested, putting

into the twitter search should bring up tweets from this year for browsing through. Dates can be changed as wanted.

you can add keywords like "trial" to the search to narrow down areas of interest.

MEMarge, JaimeS, Lidia and 11 others like this.
  14. Diwi9

Diwi9 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not an expert in this realm, and I've never studied English law, however our system in the US is based on English law. The foundation of any defamation action is that the statements were false. Therefore, if the statements are true, there is no defamation. It seems to me, CM was only reiterating what MS had actually stated. I don't see privilege on the grounds it was in letter form between two parties...that is not a de facto source of privilege as far as I'm aware.

Woolie, alktipping, Barry and 4 others like this.
  15. Luther Blissett

I've tried to extract all his tweets from 01 Jan 2018, and it collected up to 30 Apr 2018. I've run up against the limit of server requests (i think).

Anyway, it's attached in .txt format.

Pros:
    • text searchable
    • contains twitter 'id's'
    • contains every tweet (i think)
    • better results than using the twitter site search function
    Cons:
    • contains lots of Michael Sharpe
    • not the best format, but semi-readale. (Not for people who find blocks of text troublesome)
    To find the matching tweet, add the 'id' after status/ in either this format

twitter.com/anyuser/status/

or after his status/ when you are on his twitter page.

In the brainfog this caused, I've managed to loose the script I used, so sorry :(

Attached Files:

JaimeS, Lidia, Woolie and 12 others like this.
  16. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MS and co have been shouting down PwME and their advocates, with their bullying, coercive, mind trick ways. When now trying the same tactics on a very potent, high-integrity politician, MS completely overlooks a very simple fact: For politicians, dealing with such behaviours is all part of a day's work for them, it's part of the job spec, and part of what they do the job for. They get a buzz from dealing with people like him, and they are very good at it. Quite simply, he has started picking on the wrong people, and especially on the wrong person - Carol Monaghan. One day I'd love to see Esther Crawley in this mix.

Edit: Realise I've been spelling Carol Monaghan's name wrong :oops:.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
    Simone, MEMarge, JaimeS and 13 others like this.
  17. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ah, so the context was spot on then - but as usual MS didn't like it.

Solstice likes this.
  18. Luther Blissett

MEMarge, Barry, Indigophoton and 8 others like this.
  19. AR68

AR68 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MEMarge and alktipping like this.
  20. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)