1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Media articles on Westminster debate June 2018

Discussion in 'Advocacy Projects and Campaigns' started by Sly Saint, Jun 20, 2018.

1. Skycloud

Skycloud Senior Member (Voting Rights)

As I understand it there's nothing to stop you writing to any MP you want, but they are under no obligation to take notice of your letter if they aren't your own constituency MP because they don't represent you.

My guess is it would depend on the MP, the subject matter, their resources and how they feel about letters from people who aren't constituents. I think any MP would welcome a letter of thanks from anyone though - we all like to know we are appreciated.

Someone else may be able to give a better answer

2. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

adambeyoncelowe, alktipping and BurnA like this.
  3. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What does he mean by 'partly unfulfilled'?

adambeyoncelowe, alktipping and Wonko like this.
  4. MeSci

I've written to Caroline Lucas of the Green Party, and she has answered, but I am a long-term member and she is the only Green MP.

5. Stewart

Stewart Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Skycloud's answer is spot on. There's absolutely nothing to stop you writing to any MP to thank them for taking part in the debate* - although thank you letters from their own constituents are likely to have a greater impact and make them more likely to be active in raising ME issues in future.

(* - you might want to make it clear in your letter that you realise that you aren't a constituent, but you wanted to let them know that their contribution was greatly appreciated by ME/CFS sufferers across the country)

6. Graham

Graham Senior Member (Voting Rights)

You might want to write to them, and, out of courtesy perhaps (what's the appropriate smiley to pick?), send a copy to your own MP - the one that didn't attend.

7. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I didn't bother with my MP. Before the last election I had a little Scotsman knock on the door and say your MP is in the area and would you like to meet him. I said yes, certainly, but must have seemed too enthusiastic as he visibly shied away and asked if there was anything in particular I would like to discuss. He never did show up.

Barry, Lisa108, alktipping and 2 others like this.
  8. MeSci

Maybe it was dependent on what you answered - did you say 'ME'? Maybe it was something he didn't know anything about.

Barry, Lisa108 and Trish like this.
  9. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Dolphin, Andy and Barry like this.
  10. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MP Raises Question About The Credibility Of ME Therapy
    "
    MP Carol Monaghan raises a question about how well this disease is being understood, funded and treated in England. Carol, who is MP from the Scottish National Party went ahead to comment that the Graded Exercise Therapy (GET) used to treat ME patients have a negative impact on the health.

This therapy involves doing extra amount of exercise gradually through the months with regular monitoring of their health condition. The MP came up with cases from several constituencies where people have complained of their deteriorating health conditions after going through GET therapy.

Earlier therapists have informed that this therapy which is generally offered on NHS is safe. At present UK is in the process of updating its illness treatment guidelines and this debate raises more concern for the country."

Not terribly well written and rather skims over the issues IMO.

rest of article here
    https://www.marketresearchstore.us/1075/mp-raises-question-about-the-credibility-of-me-therapy/

Esther12 likes this.
  11. MeSci

12. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This looks computer-generated - possibly by a Bulgarian computer.

Amw66 likes this.
  13. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

We can write to anybody we like, AFAIK, but I think only our own MPs are under any sort of presumed obligation to write back. I belong to a political party and have written about ME to the head of that party, as well as to my own local MP (who is in a different party) and have had replies from both.

I don't think it can hurt, but it might help to preface it with, 'Although I'm not your constituent and realise that you priority will be to respond to people in your area, I'm writing to bring to your attention that...' etc.

Graham, MeSci and Trish like this.