1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

May 2019 - Awareness Week including Millions Missing

Discussion in 'Advocacy Projects and Campaigns' started by Sly Saint, Feb 13, 2019.

1. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

I’ve emailed our healthwatch with a link to this to see if they will post anything. Never been in contact with them before so asked how they could help our support group as well.

Last edited: May 9, 2019
  2. Andy

Andy Committee Member

https://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news...e-square-event-aims-to-raise-awareness-of-me/

andypants, MEMarge and rvallee like this.
  3. Andy

Andy Committee Member

https://www.thecanary.co/podcasts/2...-the-millions-missing-jessica-taylor-bearman/

Trish, oldtimer and rvallee like this.
  4. Cinders66

Cinders66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I hope th
    It’s admirable people are using their and Energy.
    I hope these events do reflect the stated purpose of the #MM. Both would be nice but I would rather see banners and chants for MRC to guarantee funding until the research field is established rather than educate the public because ultimately whilst it’s nice to have an understanding neighbour it’s better to have treatment. I don’t think a more aware public will translate into campaigning allies.

rvallee likes this.
  5. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

hmm
    upload_2019-5-10_17-34-58.png

MEMarge and Andy like this.
  6. NelliePledge

I
    i know @Sly Saint im going by social media which seems to be mainly the new logo.

I’m doing a bit of guérilla customer testing to get the take of small group of friends that haven’t been exposed to ME politics to ask them what they think about the 2 logos to see if they pick up on the real/physical aspect as a concern.

Binkie4, MEMarge, Skycloud and 3 others like this.
  7. Andy

Andy Committee Member

8. Andy

Andy Committee Member

9. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

10. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Any news from any events today? I seem to remember live links to events in U.K. and US in previous years.

I think there’s a live link to San Francisco at 3pm Pacific time on OMF Facebook page.

Have I missed others?

MEMarge and rvallee like this.
  11. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

brf, andypants, Sly Saint and 3 others like this.
  12. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Drop the quotes on humanitarian crisis, though. It is, plain and simple. The population of a mid-sized country is basically imprisoned in their own body and almost nobody gives a damn while those who should be helping are actually making things worse.

'Humanitarian crisis' for ME sufferers in Wales: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-48229907

13. Binkie4

@NelliePledge
    I hope your event is going well and that you are not suffering too much from the extra work that it has involved. Thank you.

MEMarge, andypants and NelliePledge like this.
  14. Andy

Andy Committee Member

15. NelliePledge

Thanks @Binkie4 im all prepped out now. Just resting now as I have to be out early for me to be there by noon

MEMarge, andypants, Gecko and 2 others like this.
  16. Binkie4

@Ok. So yours is tomorrow. I wasn’t sure what is happening today and what tomorrow. I think both days are involved. Thanks and good luck anyway.

MEMarge and NelliePledge like this.
  17. chicaguapa

chicaguapa Senior Member (Voting Rights)

We submitted this to them as a completed article. They asked me for something last year after coming down on the day. A community journalist also came to MM last year to write an article and she interviewed a few people afterwards. So I combined the two. It took so long to get it finished that we decided to hold onto it and wait until this year’s MM to publish it.

18. Binkie4

MEMarge, ahimsa and Andy like this.
  19. Andy

Andy Committee Member

20. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thread merged

I know that not all forum members are on Facebook or Twitter, so I thought this thread might be a good place to share some pictures and info on the Millions Missing events this year.

I helped organize a Millions Missing event in Gent, Belgium. We had a really cool location in the center of the city.

upload_2019-5-11_22-21-47.png

[​IMG]

Unfortunately, I couldn't be there myself but from the video's, pictures and stories I've seen and heard, it seemed to be a great success. Laying out empty shoes with testimonies of ME-patients is a really powerful concept. People passing by seemed to be genuinely interested to learn what was going on.

Funny story: there were a lot of tourists in Gent and one of our Millions Missing volunteers managed to get the city guides to explain what was going on. So a little later a city guide was explaining to German tourists: "Auch in Berlin gibt er ein Millions Missing Manifestation..." Thought that was pretty cool.

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2019
    MSEsperanza, Jan, ahimsa and 38 others like this.