Independent advisory group for the full update of the Cochrane review on exercise therapy and ME/CFS (2020), led by Hilda Bastian

Discussion in '2021 Cochrane Exercise Therapy Review' started by Lucibee, Feb 13, 2020.

1. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Apologies for just popping in.

Don't know where else to put this so leaving some notes here regarding caveats when critiquing most common features of some researchers' claims about trial methodology and alleged benefits from therapist-delivered treatments for ME/CFS.

- Objective outcomes:

It's true that objectivity with regard to outcome measures is always a 'spectrum'.

And even an indisputably objective outcome like death needs to be interpreted: Is it caused / delayed due to the investigated treatment or due to an other cause?

So, there is a hierarchy of robustness with regards to objective outcome measures and those outcomes need to be analyzed properly, but on the other hand, there are subjective outcomes that clearly are subjective, and only subjective -- both subjectively reported and only subjectively assessable.

The point that certain objective outcomes are not entirely objective is not valid with regard to differentiating between subjective and objective outcomes in the context of reliable trial methodology.

- Improvement versus recovery

This point is somewhat related to objective outcomes like going back to work or school.

It there is no cure, of course every relevant improvement should also be counted as benefit, even if it doesn't lead to restored working ability.

I think that needs to be taken into account when evaluating treatment trials that claim to have found evidence for improvement of symptoms but not for restoring working ability.

If there were any reliably measurable, relevant improvements, that actually would be better than nothing. But behavorial treatment and physiotherapy ME/CFS trials I'm aware of didn't show evidence of improvement beyond a short-term placebo effect in a minority of patients.

I think though that selling placebo as evidenced-based treatment could be counter-productive to coping with a life-altering illness and could cause long term mental suffering and other harm.

Perhaps it would be worthwhile to discuss what people with ME see as relevant improvements if they can't go back to work or school?

This post has been copied to start a new discussion thread:Clinical trial outcome measures of improvement and recovery in ME/CFS - which ones are useful? Discussion thread

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2021
    Michelle, alktipping, MEMarge and 6 others like this.
  2. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

I think we’ve moved on from long grass to tumbleweed

3. NelliePledge

One of my jobs was trying to get people in an organisation to do a better job on addressing complaints rather than ignoring and stonewalling. We used to get people to put together a timeline covering what had generated the complaint and also the steps involved in dealing with it. This would help identify any issues that could have prevented the complaint arising in the first place and also any issues that prevented the complaint being addressed in a reasonable timeframe. Tempting to have a go at a timeline for the complaint about the exercise in MECFS review.

As a public sector organisation we were subject to review by the ombudsman so bad examples of poor work would eventually be taken up by the ombudsman’s office for investigation and anonymised case studies would be included in their published reports to Parliament. So we were very aware of the accountability for our organisation’s actions.

What strikes me about these Science organisations is despite the influence their work has there appears to be at best minimal accountability, in practice no accountability.

Woolie, andypants, Binkie4 and 22 others like this.
  4. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That sounds a lot like quality assurance. I love QA, in software development it is a critical part of the process. One that few appreciate, because all they do is point out mistakes. Like it's their job. Which it is!

I see no evidence of quality assurance anywhere in the process of clinical evidence or medical practice. QA does not end on release, it is a continuous process that not only works with feedback but is proactive in gathering information, all information, so as not to miss anything. It is obsessed with not deleting information. The rare good kind of obsession.

This process does not exist in medicine, or I have seen no evidence of it anywhere. I personally think it's the systemic change that is needed, one that assumes that mistakes will be made, rather than categorically rejecting the premise of there being a mistake as vexatious and bound for the shredding cabinet.

Sure would be nice. Life-saving, even. In software we do this for junk like marketing campaigns and we do it proudly, because we know we make mistakes all the damn time. The reverse approach, I must say, is very, very bad. Boeing learned the same, but they have financial pressure. Medicine has no such pressure, doesn't even take the main stakeholders, the patients, into account at any point. What an odd system.

5. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think the Powers-That-Be might dispute the idea that patients are the main stakeholders in medicine. They would suggest that the people reaping the profits are.

6. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

But isn't the customer always right?

:whistle:

7. NelliePledge

The announcement of this review was made early 2020 the timeframe given as 2 years to completion, so early 2022.

The first step after the independent advisory group lead appointment was to be setting up the group. work on this to start March 2020

we have no information whatsoever since March 2020 about the membership of the IAG, terms of reference, how it will conduct wider engagement, whether there is any possibility of meeting the announced timeframe.

Communication to, let alone engaging with, consumers is not occurring in this pilot of a new approach to engaging consumers.........

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
    Helene, Chezboo, Binkie4 and 20 others like this.
  8. NelliePledge

Hi Robert given it is now nearly 2 weeks since you asked this question maybe it would be worth asking on Twitter because other questions asked to @Hilda Bastian there are getting replies.

9. Robert 1973

Robert 1973 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

10. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Woolie, MEMarge, Helene and 6 others like this.
  11. NelliePledge

In the absence of communication people naturally start to draw their own conclusions about Cochrane’s position. Based on the little we know and the approach taken so far it appears to me that engagement with people with ME is not considered to be of any importance in this process.

i retain some hope that whatever the report consists of will turn out to be a piece of work that out of public view has had input from some knowledgeable ME advocates and is of some value in addressing the problems with the exercise review.

However I am not holding my breath

Joh, Woolie, Helene and 9 others like this.
  12. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Robert Saunders: Thanks. Can you clarify, are you referring to a progress report or the new review of exercise therapy for ME/CFS? If it’s the former, what is holding it up? This was billed as a “pilot project for engaging stakeholders (such as consumers...)”. As a consumer I feel let down.

Hilda Bastian: Progress report. I'm sorry to have let you down.

Joh, Michelle, MEMarge and 9 others like this.
  13. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Did we misunderstand the part about this being part of some sort of pilot project for patient engagement? Because it looks identical to the old patient engagement of there being none whatsoever. Still in the wrong category (which of course is intentional and meaningful). Still the wrong definition and framing. Still harmful advice based on awful evidence, all blocked by people with no stake in the matter. Still astrology-level pseudoscience with conclusions detached from even the mediocre evidence.

However it's Cochrane who let us down. Or more accurately is failing in their mission, whatever it is because frankly I can't tell at this point. This is a strictly volunteer thing and a big ask for one person who is genuinely busy with important things, which I can't fault, Bastian's work on vaccine evidence really is important and influential in the right way. But it's true that very few people can actually take on this task and it must be hard to get people interested to contribute to it, tangible career risk and all. Makes for very broken incentives.

5 years and nothing to show for it, with an arbitrary veto from the only people who stand to lose from it, and not even any significant loss. With millions of lives hanging in the balance this is just terrible all around, a system broken beyond any hope of repair.

Michelle, Helene, alktipping and 15 others like this.
  14. Lucibee

Lucibee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm going to post all the information about this that I can find, because the whole thing has been as clear as mud so far.

On October 2, 2019 - Cochrane announced publication of the amended version of the Exercise review, and also made this statement (https://www.cochrane.org/news/cfs):
    On 13 February 2020, Hilda Bastian was announced as lead for the Independent Advisory Group (IAG): https://www.cochrane.org/news/appointment-lead-independent-advisory-group

We were promised further updates - but nothing so far has been forthcoming. Many of us emailed the group, but have not received any further information.

This is the document that Hilda Bastian posted on 9 April 2020 (which I've only just seen): https://community.cochrane.org/orga...eholder-engagement-high-profile-reviews-pilot

The relevant section on the IAG is here:
    As far as I'm aware, the members of the IAG have yet to be appointed. So the process hasn't even started yet.

Has anyone actually signed up for updates and heard anything? I emailed the IAG directly in March last year, thinking that would trigger updates, but that was probably a mistake, since I have not heard anything since. From Hilda Bastian's recent tweets, it seems that nothing has actually happened yet.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
  15. Andy

Andy Committee Member

I signed up for updates on the 10th March 2020, and am yet to receive any updates via that route (as opposed to my brief email correspondence directly with Hilda middle of last year where she confirmed that there was no update).

Michelle, MEMarge, Helene and 14 others like this.
  16. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have.
    No.

@Hilda Bastian
    I understand that there are situations where priorities shift.

Not even letting us know in a formal manner, inform us on the webpage etc is what really annoys me, though.

If you want to take people with ME seriously, then you have to do something that takes us seriously.

At the very least, why can't you just put a simple notice on the webpage and let subscribers know?

I don't understand why you need to finish a report to let people know that there will be a substantial delay.

Also, I don't understand why you need a report to let us know if people have been appointed to the IAG.[*]

Ideally, you could consult patients how to proceed if you won't have sufficient time for your job for a while.

Edit: [*] Or if invitations have been sent -- see this post

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
    MEMarge, Helene, ScottTriGuy and 16 others like this.
  17. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

yes i signed up; no i haven't heard anything

MEMarge, Helene, alktipping and 7 others like this.
  18. Caroline Struthers

Caroline Struthers Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I signed up and have never heard anything at all. I have written several times to the IAG address with suggestions. I have received acknowledgement every time, and once, in the early days, a reply from Hilda to my questions - will dig that out.

Cochrane have rejected my request to withdraw the "current" reviews (Exercise and CBT) despite the fact they could cause harm to patients if the findings were followed. I sent details of that to Hilda.

I have submitted a complaint about Cochrane's refusal to withdraw the reviews, or to independently review this decision when I appealed against it, to the Committee for Publication Ethics (www.publicationethics.org). I did this a month ago, but have heard nothing back from them yet.

Hutan, Michelle, Helene and 18 others like this.
  19. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

In November 2019 this forum wrote to Karla Soares-Weiser and asked to be included in this. We've heard nothing apart from an initial acknowledgement.
    https://www.s4me.info/threads/s4me-...yndrome-review-and-patient-involvement.12188/

Michelle, Helene, alktipping and 10 others like this.
  20. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

This is the part that confuses me most. It says advocacy groups will be involved. S4ME asked to be involved. Yet we have received no information on how and when we should make our suggestions for IAG members. So where have these 'suggestions' come from? Random individuals? Twitter? Private invitation to selected advocacy groups? Public invitation?

Woolie, Michelle, rainy and 19 others like this.