1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

S4ME letter to Cochrane re: proposed new Exercise for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome review and patient involvement

Discussion in 'Open Letters and Replies' started by Science For ME, Nov 14, 2019.

1. Science For ME

Science For ME Forum Announcements

Earlier this week we sent this letter to Dr Karla Soares-Weiser, the new editor of Cochrane, who in this article, https://www.cochrane.org/news/publication-cochrane-review-exercise-therapy-chronic-fatigue-syndrome, has promised
    Dear Dr Soares-Weiser,

re: Publication of Cochrane Review: ‘Exercise therapy for chronic fatigue syndrome’

We are an international on-line forum-based organisation called ''Science for ME'' with an international membership of over 2000 patients, carers, supporters and scientists with a focus on discussing and reviewing scientific research on ME/CFS (Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome).

We have followed closely the attempts to highlight the flaws in the review 'Exercise therapy for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome', mainly by patients, some of whom are members of our forum, and acknowledge that some progress has been made to address some of those issues, although we still have serious concerns.

We have two requests.

First, we are concerned that until a new review is completed, the current version will continue to inform health care decisions, with a high potential of seriously harming patients with ME. Given the high impact of Cochrane reviews internationally, we ask that you place your announcement prominently alongside the current review so that readers are aware that Cochrane has decided a completely new approach is necessary.

Second, we are pleased to read that you intend to involve patient groups from around the world in the new review. Please could you add Science for ME to your contact list of patient organisations to be kept informed of progress, and with a view to possible involvement.

We look forward to your response.

Yours sincerely,​

and we have subsequently received the following response

Dear S4ME,

Thank you for your email. We are starting planning the steps of the update of the review and will take your requests into consideration.

With best wishes, Karla

Karla Soares-Weiser (MD, MSc, PhD)

Editor in Chief, Cochrane Library

Editorial & Methods Department | Cochrane Central Executive​

Milo, ahimsa, Mij and 24 others like this.
  2. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So once again no prominent notice next to very questionable science.
    What happened to " first do no harm" ( again)

Gecko, JohnTheJack, lycaena and 5 others like this.
  3. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

That is a crap reply which is probably being sent out to anyone who contacts them. The point being made about the notice isn’t about the future review it’s about the current review therefore it has not been addressed. Will S4ME do a follow up asking for a substantive response on the first point?

4. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
    Gecko, Hutan, MEMarge and 7 others like this.
  5. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Maybe I should go to the CMRC this time. It would be useful to hear what a number of people have to say.

6. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Then I'll see you there. I'm currently planning to go, unless something changes...

7. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I just discovered that I will be in the Alps - maybe next time.

MEMarge and ladycatlover like this.
  8. NelliePledge

Hutan, alktipping, MEMarge and 8 others like this.
  9. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

On the same day as Alain Moreau, Chris Ponting and Sadie Whittaker. Should be quite a change of pace from the usual drivel and tantrums she was exposed to on the BPS side, with much less politics and actual science being discussed, rather than how to massage garbage science to appear credible. This would indeed qualify as some engagement, though not quite there with the patient population. It's little but in the circumstances, this is welcome. I hope she learns much from this.

Looking at the topics and speakers, this is not the CMRC of a few years ago. BACME isn't even listed and appears to boycott, as usual they never put themselves in a position to discuss outside of a friendly audience. Great progress there, though it still has to translate into actual funding. Curious about "Versus arthritis", a general interest in fatigue? There is a talk on "chronic fatigue in the general population" by Prof Frances Williams who appears to be a rheumatologist so that's probably that.

Hutan, andypants, Amw66 and 8 others like this.
  10. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is this letter to Karla and her response something I can post publicly?

11. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Science For ME

MEMarge and MSEsperanza like this.
  12. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I'll check with the committee.

MEMarge, MSEsperanza and NelliePledge like this.
  13. Andy

Andy Committee Member

I plan to go to the conference, if I get the opportunity to talk to her then I will look to raise this with her.

14. NelliePledge

Thanks so much @Andy

15. Trish

It seems the review has been republished with the note attached.
    https://www.cochranelibrary.com/cdsr/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD003200.pub8/information

Also discussed on this thread:
    https://www.s4me.info/threads/cochr...ersion-october-2019.11564/page-18#post-236966

rvallee, Cheshire, Andy and 6 others like this.
  16. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think she might be trying to head off a (gentle) confrontation with @Andy ;)

Andy, InfiniteRubix and NelliePledge like this.
  17. Grigor

Grigor Senior Member (Voting Rights)

18. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Plenty of thanks to those who helped create this pile of dung, but no thanks – or even acknowledgement – to those unpaid and sick patients who doggedly, carefully, and correctly identified the serious flaws in it, via the proper formal processes.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  19. Trish

20. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you everyone who have pursued the requests the letter asked for.

So the link now is added at a place a bit less easier to ignore, and it says:

'A statement from the Editor in Chief about this review and its planned update is available here: www.cochrane.org/news/publication-cochrane-review-exercise-therapy-chronic-fatigue-syndrome. '

Cochrane_review_amendment_20200521.jpg

https://www.cochranelibrary.com/cdsr/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD003200.pub8/full

Not able to comment on this at the moment.

Also don't want to distract from forum members' work on contributing to ME advocacy and better science for ME in all the fields where this is most urgently needed, be it in the general field of 'MUS' trial methodology or the specific involvement with the Cochrane IAG or the NICE guideline revision or the quality of biomedical research etc.

So for now, just this question: Did S4ME receive any further reply from Cochrane or the IAG to our letter's requests, any reply apart from Karla's one line posted above -- any notification about the IAG or the link added to the review?

Edited to mention advocacy work and the work for the NICE committee.

Last edited: May 26, 2020
    Yessica, Peter Trewhitt, Andy and 3 others like this.