1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 11th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Impacts of online support groups on quality of life, and perceived anxiety and depression in those with ME/CFS: a survey, 2021, Morehouse et al

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Andy, Jul 11, 2021.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

ABSTRACT

Background
    Myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) is a debilitating condition that can negatively affect physical and mental health [1,2]. People with ME/CFS report lower perceived levels of social support, which further exacerbate challenges with mental health and has been linked to a higher prevalence of depression and anxiety in this population [3]. There are many mental health benefits associated with participation in in-person support groups; however, it is unknown if these benefits translate to online support groups [5].

Purpose
    To examine the perceived impacts of participation in online support groups on depression, anxiety and quality of life among people with ME/CFS.

Results
    Responses (n = 76) to an online survey indicated positive and negative experiences with participation in online support groups. Positive experiences included a sense of belonging, validation, supportive friendships and feelings of positively impacting others. Negative experiences included jealousy, decreased hope and optimism and disagreement regarding treatment strategies.

Conclusion
    Participation in online support groups was believed to decrease perceived feelings of depression and increase the quality of life in those with ME/CFS. No significant impacts on anxiety were found. Overall, participants reported engagement in online support groups to be a positive experience.

Paywall, https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/21641846.2021.1950406?journalCode=rftg20

2. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

In the United States. The other two authors are involved in teaching the course.

RedFox, Louie41, Michelle and 3 others like this.