1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

George Monbiot on ME/CFS, PACE, BPS and Long Covid

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Robert 1973, Jan 8, 2021.

1. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

This was it.

2. Shinygleamy

Shinygleamy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's what I noticed, although we're labeled as a mental health problem it's important to recognise we're not treated as mentally ill people are. Nor are we allowed any if the services available to the mentally ill. We've fallen down a crack outside of usual practice. Which is as Wessely and Co desire, as there are no rules and codes of practice and no oversight from regulating bodies.

janice, Sid, Louie41 and 22 others like this.
  3. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

The pro-psych comments on that Guardian article read like a list of talking points. They don't engage on any technical stuff, it is all the standard deflection and misdirection about (alleged) anti-psych attitudes in ungrateful nasty patients, and how could anybody possible object to taking into account psychosocial factors.

Excuse me if I suspect they didn't all turn up by complete coincidence, in the natural course of a public debate. Just a bit too organised and scripted, IMHO.

Wits_End, Sid, Louie41 and 21 others like this.
  4. petrichor

petrichor Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A lot of people hold views like those seen in the comments of the article. I think they're completely natural comments from random people

Sid, Louie41, Michelle and 8 others like this.
  5. It's M.E. Linda

It's M.E. Linda Senior Member (Voting Rights)

6. It's M.E. Linda

It's M.E. Linda Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ensure Friend and Friend’s friend have the following available at all Consultations:

Long Covid:

ME/CFS:

https://www.nice.org.uk/news/articl...ach-to-the-diagnosis-and-management-of-me-cfs

7. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Louie41, alktipping, Colin and 2 others like this.
  8. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

yes, a team effort, we all have a part to play.

One thing that I think people sometimes forget is that this is a public forum and as such new threads/threads are much more visible and get picked up on searches outside the forum.

It is a powerful tool.

I remember years ago at the other place that there were a few 'complaints' about my posts about what BPS people were saying about us, that it was too depressing. But it became clear that we needed to know.

Like this one:
    https://forums.phoenixrising.me/thr...-2017-a-day-with-the-mupp-ets-and-more.51518/

Obviously that's not the case on this forum!:D

Louie41, Hutan, inox and 11 others like this.
  9. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Some posts and responses to them have been removed. Please avoid speculation about whether named individuals may have posted comments on the Guardian article.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
    Louie41, Hutan, Sarah94 and 10 others like this.
  10. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wouldn't worry too much. Comments under articles about all sorts of things are often awful as the trolls and those who disagree are most likely to post.

Wits_End, Louie41, rainy and 14 others like this.
  11. Lucibee

Lucibee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't think folks out there are necessarily shitposting, or that there is some kind of "organised campaign" to put positive stories about CBT/GET out there. Those experiences are likely real, and there are probably more of them than we think. It's just that a lot of people keep quiet about getting well again because of the negative responses they get.

It doesn't mean they weren't really ill in the first place, or that they "never had CFS/ME" (I'll use it that way round because that's what many are diagnosed with). It just means that everyone's experience is different, and that we are still a very, very long way from working out what this illness is.

Unfortunately for us, many of the narratives have stuck - and the reason they have stuck is that provide seemingly valid explanations for many people. They fit with their experience, so that are taken as true. It's confirmation bias in action. And then it becomes a battle between whose "lived experience" is more valid. In a world where moral attitudes are mixed up with medicine, those who get well are always going to be taken more seriously than those who don't.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
    janice, Louie41, Michelle and 22 others like this.
  12. Lucibee

It also infuriates me is that it is clear from some of the comments about therapy from places like Kings that what they are now offering is much more like pacing than what we have been led to believe CBT/GET consists of.

See this example (from the comments):

Louie41, Hutan, Michelle and 7 others like this.
  13. Sean

The morphing of GET into pacing, and vice versa, has been underway for some years.

Louie41, ukxmrv, inox and 14 others like this.
  14. Sean

So why are these results not showing up in the formal studies?

Even with the most generous of advantages, including selection and outcomes criteria, not even PACE could get a meaningful result.

I think it is a reasonable hypothesis that those reporting 'recovery' via psycho-behavioural means didn't have ME in the first place.

Louie41, cfsandmore, Ariel and 9 others like this.
  15. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Because, in a meaningful way, it's true. We've seen how the fact that symptoms have a psychological aspect can be misused to justify quackery, but if that leads to patients arguing that human symptoms are somehow entirely detached from human psychology then it will just encourage people to think that criticism of work like PACE is unreasonable. This is an area of discussion where it's easy for people to be misunderstood, and that doesn't really do us any favours, so I think it's best to avoided.

Yeah. I worry that some patients concerned about PACE etc are so used to talking about these issues with those that they agree with that they can end up a bit detached from the culture around them.

I did have a worry that the “illness without disease” paragraph in the Monbiot article could trigger that sort of response. IMO that is the weakest area to raise concerns about and it very often leads to getting bogged down in the sorts of discussions that go nowhere.

janice, Louie41, Michelle and 11 others like this.
  16. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think it is far more to do with the fact that gaslighting requires victims to be isolated away from anyone and anything that might provide sanity checks of what is being fed to them. Psychiatrists will understand that as well as anyone.

17. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

But we also don't get good evidence of harm from those studies. Maybe some people are getting real improvements and some people are being made worse, and you end up with a result that looks similar to nothing much happening?

To me it seems likely that lots of people within 'ME' have different things wrong with them but at the moment it's difficult to say what meaningful subgroups there are.

It could be that those able to recover via psycho-behavioural means are a distinct sub-group, but I think it's a bad idea to combine that speculation with criticism of psycho-behavioural rehabilitation as that just looks like a post-hoc dismissal of a reported success of psycho-behavioural rehabilitation.

Tia, JemPD, Sean and 4 others like this.
  18. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The widespread poor methodology in studies of psychobehavioural interventions suggests difficulty obtaining positive results otherwise.

19. Lucibee

Because even the PACE authors themselves acknowledge that it is very difficult to measure.

It's possible, but probably not helpful to say that. It looks too much like denialism. It also depends how 'recovery' is defined (as well we know). From what I have seen, most of those reporting 'recovery' also seem to report they are back to 90% - so not 'fully recovered'. But if calling themselves 'recovered' helps them in some way, who are we to argue?

janice, Michelle, andypants and 8 others like this.
  20. Wyva

Wyva Senior Member (Voting Rights)

One of the reasons I left the ME/CFS Facebook groups was that I was tired of arguing with some of the members there about the psychological aspect. Some people were sure their illness was caused by emotional trauma accumulating over the years (or over generations, or happening in their childhood), others with pre-existing PTSD and depression told me that psychotherapy helped their symptoms and vehemently defended ME/CFS as something similar to their psychological conditions. In certain threads I really felt out of place and in the minority with my virus-triggered, "definitely not psychological in any way" illness and all this psychobabble was really not something that I needed from an ME/CFS support group, so I left these (even though you could find plenty of people with viral triggers too of course).

I'm aware of the huge variations in symptoms but it's a mystery to me that we can perceive our illness, and the nature of our illness so very differently. But the point is, there are definitely a significant number of people in the community who interpret their illness this way. So I'm not so surprised by those comments, having seen this myself in the groups.

janice, Sid, Louie41 and 22 others like this.