1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Esther Crawley - (what drives her) plus quotes

Discussion in 'UK clinics and doctors' started by Sly Saint, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

On the SMC (Science Media centre) website; Views from the Front Line (Essays on the SMC from 2012)
    page 10.
    https://www.sciencemediacentre.org/...ews-from-the-front-line-essays-on-the-SMC.pdf

on the same page a piece from Tom Feilden
    eta:
    other link on smc website which explains origins of selection of essays
    https://www.sciencemediacentre.org/?s=essays&cat=

Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
  2. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Funny there is never any reporting of the scientists who criticise the work of these people. Perhaps Tom Feilden might care to provide a bit of balance to his reporting, given he is supposed to be a journalist with integrity.

James Morris-Lent, inox, Joh and 6 others like this.
  3. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wow, okay... But then again, by linking that here, you've probably doubled the number of people who will actually read it. ;)

It's funny how FOIs and concerns about violating ethics agreements are considered worthwhile in other fields where scientists are practising sloppy science - when those scientists are not considered mainstream. But when mainstream scientists practise sloppy science, it is somehow considered harassment to call them out on it. "The Lightning Process" is pseudoscience, yet if the study is conducted by a mainstream scientist, somehow we have to consider that it is scientific?

Tom, doing what many journalists do best - mischaracterising the arguments of the "opposing side" to bolster the argument of the people who are supporting you writing the article.

The classification is not central to any of the arguments, it is of secondary consequence. The supposition that CFS is not primarily "psychological" is a logical corollary of the fact that cognitive and behavioural therapies do not lead to remission of symptoms, despite decades of certain prominent people claiming that it can. We don't care about the hypothetical classification (or any irrelevant arguments about mind-body dualism), nor hypothetical stigma of mental illness! What we need and care about is effective treatments!

Last edited: Aug 21, 2020
  4. Cheshire

Cheshire Moderator Staff Member

This is really disgusting. Typical of bullies, play the victim and blame the victim.

alktipping, JemPD, Philipp and 6 others like this.
  5. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That SMC piece looks very odd. What do they mean by "threats of persecution"? They might perhaps reasonably allege persecution but they suggest no evidence for "threats of persecution". Or do they imply a subjective test, rather than an objective one - Their fear of persecution amounts to a threat, regardless of objective behaviour by the "activists"?

The chronology also looks strange. When was the Crawley interview on Today? Is it credible that Feilden was unaware of the problem before that. Was not the "threatening" behaviour alleged by about 2007? Probably earlier.

And is Feilden really unable to find people to speak to him if they are not directed to do so by the SMC?

Mithriel, alktipping, EzzieD and 7 others like this.
  6. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Ah, the fearless dogged investigative journalist. Or what passes for one in this age.

alktipping, EzzieD, JemPD and 4 others like this.
  7. Barry

Er, no ... get it right Tom. It is their critics who argue that the cause and perpetuation is as yet unknown, and the BSP'ites who assert it is known to be deconditioning combined with unhelpful beliefs that prevent recovery behaviours. This is a classic case of perpetrators accusing their victims of the very behaviours they indulge in themselves. And Tom Feilden has fallen for it hook line and sinker.

And "undiscovered virus"? Where did that come from?

ETA: I had not realised this article was from 2012. See my additional post regarding this https://www.s4me.info/threads/esther-crawley-what-drives-her-plus-quotes.1139/page-7#post-281817.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
    Mithriel, alktipping, EzzieD and 6 others like this.
  8. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That's a really weird statement. This is how things should be but, no, definitely not how they actually are. If anything disputed diseases constantly face the threat of nullification and receive no adequate resources. Diseases that are not disputed get far more resources and sympathy, while disputed ones in fact are always on the chopping block and dead last in priorities.
    By the likes of Crawley. They literally are the source of all prejudices against us. WTF is wrong with these people?

Of course the meaning here is entirely on the basis that it spurs psychological research, since they are denial-based, but that literally makes achieving any understanding impossible.

These people are seriously weird and extremely bad at their job.

Mithriel, alktipping, Barry and 5 others like this.
  9. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

ON the science media centre quote: this flyer would be from 2012 I think.

Barry, Tia, Binkie4 and 1 other person like this.
  10. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Written but not posted earlier. Ran out of steam but I hope this makes sense.

Do we know when this rubbish was posted?

It's just the same old story- aggressive patients, harassed researchers- the latter disputed and dealt with by the 2016 Upper Tribunal. It's all they have.

But why would they post it now, if it was posted recently? To try to influence NICE; to intervene in the renewed interest in post viral illness following covid?

Aaah.......it seems to be one of a number of pieces posted to celebrate a decade of the SMC's work. The SMC was established in 2002 so this makes it posted in 2012
    I assume.

Quote from the introduction before short articles on work of SMC, one of the items being Esther Crawley's story.

"Fiona Fox Chief Executive

Now we are ten. It seems to Fiona Fox, the Science Media Centre’s founding director, a long time since she sat in front of a daunting interview panel of eminent scientists including a Baroness, a Lord, and the editor
    of Nature - and managed to persuade them that they should not allow her lack of a science background to blind them to her other talents.
    She has, she says, many reasons to thank them for their confidence. She looks back on the past decade as the most stimulating, challenging and fulfilling of her working life. She is proud of the SMC’s achievements and to have played her part in changing the culture of science in such a way that the public and policy makers now hear more from scientists than at any other time.

Getting a hearing: a decade of achievement
    this brochure recounts a handful of the kind of stories in which the SMC has been involved. The personal perspectives of the scientists, journalists
    and press officers we have worked with reveal what has, more than anything else, defined the SMC: our belief that scientists should get more engaged proactively."

And Esther Crawley's is one of the stories she was proud of!!

@Snowdrop I think was also saying this about the timeline

edit: First para amended.

11. James Morris-Lent

James Morris-Lent Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't know, Barry, that sure sounds a lot like work!

alktipping, JemPD, MEMarge and 3 others like this.
  12. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Can I ask why @Sly Saint posted yesterday - is there a media revisiting of this?
    I expect some form of media intervention to try and control the narrative for both NICE ( as can also be seen by the flurry of published papers) and now long COVID which could expose the paucity of scientific rigour

I do suspect that though that

• given the high prevalence
    • abiity to use internet to form support and campaigning groups for the start
    • number of medical staff affected

that longCOVID will quickly be separated off to leave reputations intact.

alktipping, JemPD, MEMarge and 4 others like this.
  13. Barry

I have to say I had missed the fact this was from 2012. There has been an awful lot of water under the bridge since then, some of which I was alluding to in my earlier post.

Maybe my comments towards Tom Fielden are misplaced at this current time; hopefully he realises now how very misguided his 2012 article was. It would be good though if he cared to set the record straight in 2020.

14. Barry

Thanks for that. I see Tom Feilden's twitter page, as one would expect, touches a lot on Covid 19. But not seen any references to long covid - has he discussed long covid at all, along with the potential overlap with ME/CFS? Would it be normal for a science editor to make no mention of it whatsoever at this point? Or is that an unfair question of mine? Is long covid still too far off of mainstream radar for that?

MEMarge and Snow Leopard like this.
  15. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Has the SMC established their position on the subject?

MEMarge and Barry like this.
  16. Barry

I think profound silence can sometimes speak volumes.

17. Sly Saint

because I only found it yesterday!
    This is a thread of mostly historic articles and quotes relating to Esther Crawley.
    Tom Feilden hasn't changed his tune at all.
    https://me-pedia.org/wiki/Tom_Feilden

eta: I meant I only found it on Friday

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
  18. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks - I wondered if there was a big media spoon being stirred...glad that it's not

MEMarge likes this.
  19. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It was one of a series of 10 articles posted in 2012 in a brochure to celebrate 10 years since the SMC was formed.

I tried to describe this in post #122 rather incoherently, I'm afraid. I am not sure I am any more coherent today so I will be quiet- but first say the first para from the quote by Fiona Fox is rather nauseating.

MEMarge likes this.
  20. Sly Saint