1. The 'News in Brief' post for w/c 4th Nov can be read by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Differentiating post-polio syndrome from myalgic encephalomyelitis and chronic fatigue syndrome, 2019, Jason et al

Discussion in 'BioMedical ME/CFS Research' started by Andy, Nov 7, 2019.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member & Outreach

Paywall, https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/21641846.2019.1687117
    Not available via Scihub at time of posting

2. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is pretty wild. Looking forward to read more on this. Throwing another wrench in the misguided idea that only active infections matter. Especially how it is critical to the BPS model of ME, that an infection may have occurred but once gone its role should be discarded as no longer relevant. Clearly not that simple.

3. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I seem to remember the theory of post polio syndrome is that the polio virus damages the end plates of the muscles and as they are used they accumulate damage until after about 30 years people have reached the point where they no longer work properly so it is not a continuing infection.

The treatment is to save as much function as possible with stairlifts, mobility aids, rest, that sort of thing

I have a friend with PPS who is disabled, but not like us, it is more mechanical and less "weird"

4. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This abstract looks pretty worthless. They define three things, "PPS", "ME" and "CFS" in the background section. Then, under results, they compared "ME/CFS", which wasn't defined in the background section to PPS. Wow, this journal article must have undergone severe peer review. Sometimes it is helpful if someone at least tries to read these things (at least the abstracts!) before they are published.

Received; 24 Sept
    Accepted: 28 Oct
    Published: 6 NOv.

Andy and alktipping like this.
  5. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I had a close neighbour friend who got polio as a child and had a relapse at age 42. She was walking down the street and lost muscle function in her legs and fell down. She eventually recovered, but it was quite a shock for her.

rvallee, merylg, Lisa108 and 4 others like this.