Cochrane Review: 'Exercise therapy for chronic fatigue syndrome' 2017, Larun et al. - Recent developments, 2018-19

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Trish, Jun 18, 2019.

1. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I assume you are aware that Iain Chalmers is both a co-founder of Cochrane and was the coordinator of the James Lind Initiative which according to Wikipedia, "includes the James Lind Library and the Jams Lind Alliance"?

Edited to change Chalmers function to the past tense, see: https://www.s4me.info/threads/cochr...evelopments-2018-19.10030/page-19#post-280738

Last edited: Aug 16, 2020
    Sly Saint, chrisb and MEMarge like this.
  2. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Fair point

It's M.E. Linda, Andy and MEMarge like this.
  3. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Partners are only "laterally" involved, eg asked to "advertise" the questionnaire to members etc. They won't be involved in decision-making.

Michelle, obeat, MSEsperanza and 2 others like this.
  4. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

And that he was an early member of Campaign against Health Fraud, later Health Watch, alongside such as Caroline Richmond and Simon Wessely, which appears to have exceeded its original remit of pursuing the quacks who preyed on gullible invalids to pursuing the invalids themselves. This may merely have been a lack of strategic thinking, or it may not.

5. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Interesting discussion. You (@MEMarge) and @Andy clearly know about certain smoke-filled rooms others have not found the door to. You might have said:

The Nild-stocking Group haven't started the process of signing up grippers etc yet, but the MGM Determinator mentioned at a Herbaceous Group Meeting that Cochrane had expressed an interest in being a partner organisation. I think they are involved in this way in a number of BURPs.

I am glad that members here are privy to these matters. It would be interesting to know more but I appreciate that some of us gummidges may not appreciate the finer detail. And I would not want to rock any boats.:sneaky:

6. Mark Vink

Mark Vink Established Member (Voting Rights)

thank you very much I feel very honoured

7. Caroline Struthers

Caroline Struthers Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Iain Chalmers is no longer involved in the Priority Setting Partnerships - he is just on the James Lind Library now https://www.jameslindlibrary.org/about-the-library/. I think the Alliance which runs the PSPs is now run by the National Institute for Health Research. Iain is not even an advisor any more. A PSP for ME was suggested a while ago when Iain was involved, but it never happened. The James Lind Initiative wound up when Iain retired in 2018 https://researchinvolvement.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s40900-019-0138-2.

Michelle, FMMM1, Snowdrop and 5 others like this.
  8. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Michelle and Snowdrop like this.
  9. Jonathan Edwards

10. Trish

Keeping up with all that's going on is practically a full time job!

Michelle, Hutan, Snow Leopard and 3 others like this.
  11. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

12. Jonathan Edwards

Fortunately, if there is any likelihood that I might be able to say something useful someone pokes me with a stick. And I get updates from birdies from time to time.(Whistling sound heard.)

FMMM1, mango, JemPD and 5 others like this.
  13. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you, Caroline. I missed that. (Which year do we have?)

Apologies for any confusion.

Yes, see the commentary @Caroline Struthers referenced:
    And:
    https://www.jla.nihr.ac.uk/about-the-james-lind-alliance/history.htm

14. Mike Dean

Mike Dean Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It was 2009 or 2010 when I suggested a PSP was needed to establish potential harms from GET, given the disparity between evidence from trials and from patient surveys. Iain told me it was not required.

Michelle, Sly Saint, Hutan and 7 others like this.
  15. Jonathan Edwards

The paternalistic 'I know what's best for people' attitude seeps from every seam of the system.

Michelle, FMMM1, Sean and 6 others like this.
  16. Trish

Interesting. Were you suggesting patients would vote for a further GET trial with properly assessed harms? Given the amount of harm recorded in patient surveys, surely such a trial would be unethical.

17. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Can someone remind me what the PSP process is about?

18. Trish

Michelle, Robert 1973, Joh and 4 others like this.
  19. Mike Dean

Mike Dean Senior Member (Voting Rights)

No need for another RCT, Trish, as PACE wasn't yet published. GET was just a convenient example of the uncertainty that lies within the JLA remit. Overall I was proposing a PSP to re-evaluate diagnosis and treatment, post-NICE.

20. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The James Lind Alliance is also well and functioning in Canada. I note that they inevitably have the list of things patients care about long enough so that it will always manage to include psychological concerns. When patients are truly involved the list can usually be whittled down to 5 or under I think but ten will mean that the psych types involved convince patients to include it at some point down the list.

One thing you can be sure of is that this particular sub-set of psychs believe in their own essentialness. (ok computer telling me that's not a word)