1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Cochrane Review: 'Exercise therapy for chronic fatigue syndrome' 2017, Larun et al. - Recent developments, 2018-19

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Trish, Jun 18, 2019.

1. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Good idea, but I couldn't figure out how to nominate Vink for the Bill Silverman prize.

If someone else figures it out, feel free to use my text above.

MEMarge, Simone, JaneL and 5 others like this.
  2. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

3. ME/CFS Skeptic

Yes, I did register but that didn't help much.

Will ask on Twitter.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
    Andy and Sly Saint like this.
  4. ME/CFS Skeptic

Managed to do it after all and nominated @Mark Vink for his 2018 paper on the Cochrane review on exercise therapy for ME/CFS.

upload_2020-8-12_11-10-58.png

5. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Let us know if there’s anything we can do to support your nomination

MSEsperanza, EzzieD, shak8 and 9 others like this.
  6. MEMarge

Anyone interested in this role?

Apply to be a ‘Cochrane UK Consumer Champion’
    [​IMG]
    We are inviting applications from people who would like to be ‘Cochrane UK Consumer Champions’.
    What will the role involve?
    The role will be very flexible. You will be able to focus on tasks that you have a particular interest in to ensure you can use your expertise to support the aims of the initiative. Some of the tasks that may be involved are:

• promoting opportunities for consumers to get involved in Cochrane’s work;
    • supporting consumers with getting involved in Cochrane’s work (e.g. identifying relevant resources and contacts within the organisations);
    • advising Cochrane on consumer needs and priorities within their community;
    • supporting Cochrane with the dissemination of Cochrane work relevant to the consumer communities;
    • providing support to Cochrane Groups in finding relevant consumers to help support their work.
    https://uk.cochrane.org/news/apply-...champion’?mc_cid=ff3a57209f&mc_eid=a63e0523d5

MSEsperanza, EzzieD, shak8 and 8 others like this.
  7. MEMarge

How can one part of Cochrane leave the Larun Exercise review on their site, without clear warning, when they are producing blogs "To help you question health advice" including the following!

[​IMG]

8. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ideology. BPS/psychosocial/FND/MUS/conversion disorder is a belief system. Personal beliefs are fine. This here is a great example why ideology is incompatible with science and expertise, where even in the most favorable circumstances they still manage to inflict harm and corrupt an entire profession built on science and helping people.

They simply believe in the magical psychological illness thing and nothing can dispel that belief, even when it entirely contradicts their rules and standards. I still vividly remember BMJ's response to one of Crawley's papers, acknowledging it violated an explicit zero-tolerance policy but deciding that it was not a problem.

Evidence-based medicine is like a grand canyon-sized loophole for ideology. It would be easy to rectify but ideology makes it impossible for people to see things for what they are.

Great catch on this article, though, but there's only one catch that applies to us. It's quite a catch, that catch-22.

9. Andy

Andy Committee Member

MEMarge, rvallee, MSEsperanza and 2 others like this.
  10. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am tempted to write a comment but I am not sure I can summon the energy. If I did it would something like:

Dear Selena,

It is good to see public education about the potential harms of treatments but I think for Cochrane to put out such advice carries an irony. There is a standing Cochrane review on exercise treatments for chronic fatigue syndrome that fails on just about all the issues you raise. And people at Cochrane know that it is seriously flawed but do nothing about it because of a strange rule that means reviews cannot be withdrawn if the authors do not want to. The interests of Cochrane contributors come above transparency.

What is even more worrying is that this review is only up because an even more problematic review was withdrawn. That one was co-authored by a prominent figure in Cochrane who writes major review articles on quality of evidence.

I personally have no competing interest in this area, being simply a retired physician who writes philosophy and goes birdwatching, but who also has a sense of what is ethical and what is not.

The whole problem boils down to vested interest. Cochrane gives the impression of being King Solomon but in reality was set up by people with a very clear agenda based towards the interest of low tech primary care based medicine. High tech gets the Cochrane workover. Low tech, like therapist-based treatments, is let through on the nod. I asked Iain Chalmers if he was not concerned about vested interest with regard to therapists writing reviews about treatments that provide their livelihood. He seemed to think raising vested interest was an insult. Yet surely the whole point of Cochrane was to address vested interest? The playing field does not seem to be level.

In your position I would be concerned that I was being used as a squeaky clean window dressing for an organisation that is not quite what it presents itself as. Cochrane is just a group of people with opinions, and those opinions are far from unbiased. I used to think otherwise (or it never crossed my mind) but various recent events have made it clear that it is much like any other organisation that makes money out of providing opinions people want to hear.

Yours faithfully

Jonathan Edwards
    Professor Emeritus

11. Jonathan Edwards

I posted my piece. I wonder if it is visible.

Edit: It looks not. I doubt it will but it might be worth her reading it.

12. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Excellent letter, thank you. It cheers me up immensely to see someone like you without a vested interest, and with relevant professional background, standing up for integrity in situations like this. Can we clone you?

13. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

She has a psychology degree from the University of Bath

14. Jonathan Edwards

Who would have thought it.

15. Jonathan Edwards

You wouldn't want to clone my knees and my back.

16. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

An excellent example of eminence-based medicine. Nobody's reputation will be hurt if they don't agree to it.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
    MEMarge, Michelle, JemPD and 3 others like this.
  17. Jonathan Edwards

There is a lesson here I think - about coincidences. They are uncommon.

I was talking to my wife about this Cochrane business and it came to me again that although the exercise for CFS review might be seen as some trivial backwater in the affairs of Cochrane only of interest to a few nutters with axes to grind, it isn't, it is right in the middle.

In general Cochrane does not have any impact in specialities where evidence is clear. I never even thought of consulting a Cochrane review for RA. Cochrane comes in to play when things are a bit iffy - breast screening, vaccination, chronic fatigue - all areas where the sound of axe grinding can be heard from over the hill.

Simbindi, Chezboo, MEMarge and 12 others like this.
  18. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

also has a lot to do with Students for Best Evidence
    https://www.students4bestevidence.net/blog/2016/10/05/students-4-best-evidence/

Suggested blog topics
    https://www.students4bestevidence.net/blog/2020/07/15/suggested-blog-topics/

MEMarge, Michelle, JemPD and 4 others like this.
  19. Robert 1973

Robert 1973 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Your comment has now been published on the site:
    https://www.evidentlycochrane.net/treatments-can-harm/

It will be interesting to see if Selena responds as she has below the other comment.

MEMarge, Michelle, Hutan and 12 others like this.
  20. Daisymay

Daisymay Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks for posting it, may still have an impact even if not posted.

MEMarge and JemPD like this.