1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Cochrane Review: 'Exercise therapy for chronic fatigue syndrome' 2017, Larun et al. - Recent developments, 2018-19

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Trish, Jun 18, 2019.

1. JohnTheJack

JohnTheJack Moderator Staff Member

Great post, thanks, Michiel.

A common orthographic error made by many native speakers, including Michael Sharpe, is 'publically' rather than the correct 'publicly'.

JaneL, MSEsperanza, Simone and 7 others like this.
  2. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, I useful document for the NICE committee.

3. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

I assumed that the standards they followed reflected the standards within the mental health research communities (or some of them)

JaneL, Annamaria, LadyBirb and 11 others like this.
  4. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I suspect they defer to eminence.

I am not sure that they had much idea of 'following standards'.

JaneL, Annamaria, sea and 10 others like this.
  5. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Depends who is holding the standard. If there might ultimately be an honour in it....

MSEsperanza, MEMarge, Binkie4 and 3 others like this.
  6. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks for pointing that out, John. Trish made the same remark to me. I've now corrected this in the text.

Had a quick look and some dictionaries do accept publically as a correct alternative, but that's probably because people make this mistake often enough so that it becomes accepted. At least that's my guess. One blog explained:
    That's probably why people like me make that mistake.

JaneL, MSEsperanza, MEMarge and 13 others like this.
  7. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Which rather fits with the touchy feely science.

Stuart, MEMarge, obeat and 1 other person like this.
  8. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

[my bold]

I find that statement rather enlightening, as it strongly indicates a potentially unhealthy relationship between Cochrane and its reviewers. This is a major issue in play, and DV is striving to avoid falling out with AF. To me this strongly suggests there are almost certainly many other less significant, but nonetheless important, issues that just fly under the radar of proper scrutiny, simply to avoid any fallings out between authors and Cochrane.

Yes I understand there is quite rightly a relationship that will establish between Cochrane and many of its authors. In principle I'm fine with that, the world turns on healthy relationships. But here it is supposed to be a professional relationship, else it is not healthy. Instead it comes across as tacit acknowledgement of a much-too-cosy unhealthy relationship. Which totally undermines the credibility of Cochrane even further.

Is Carol Monaghan being kept aware of these Cochrane developments?

9. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

She can't answer the question because it would force her to admit she actually agrees with some points of the 'activist' criticism.

10. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yup :( And being former head of the RCGP explains a lot about how the lousy NHS internal training sourced from the "rousing reassurance" FINE trial happened. Also why, despite there being no evidence for it, the NHS qualifies ME as somatoform in practice and internal documentation, in contradiction with the NICE guidelines, which hint at it but at least refrain from making unevidenced statements.

Personally I find that a spouse of a controversial researcher pushing that spouse's highly controversial work by way of heading the GP system is extremely corrupt and inappropriate, but that may be one reason, among a few others, why I am not a regius professor of psychiatry at KCL. Really egregious case of "who you know" in a system that should rather be built on "what you can prove".

11. rvallee

Hey, if some people didn't have double standards they wouldn't have any.

12. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
    Hutan, JaneL, TiredSam and 10 others like this.
  13. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

When they tried to get the CCC accepted in Scotland it didn't happen because GPs and neurologists would not accept it. Was it a coincidence that GPs were represented by her and neurologists by MS? And nobody mentioned any conflict of interest.

JaneL, TiredSam, MSEsperanza and 8 others like this.
  14. Adrian

I'm surprised that Tovy wasn't really angry with the review authors since they took what was an editorial discussion and made it into a high profile biased press story. This should tell him that they have no intention of following editorial guidelines and good practice but are more intent on bullying cochrane to get their way and keep their poor work published.

15. Adrian

She also did some very dodgy training videos

JaneL, Annamaria, Sly Saint and 11 others like this.
  16. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

From reading the emails, I got the impression that Tovey and Cochrane are focussing on all sorts of minor points, just to avoid the elephant in the room so to speak. They are using all opportunities to downgrade the clinical effects of GET on fatigue, instead of acknowledging that these effects are probably not real but an artifact of how these trials were set up (lack of blinding + inadequate controls + subjective outcomes).

They are asking the authors to do a reanalysis with the PACE-trial excluded, to write that the results do not necessarily apply to other ME/CFS criteria, to do a reanalysis because of the heterogeneity the Powell et al. 2001 study created, to re-express SMD in terms of MD to show how small the effect on fatigue is etc. On some points such as the drop-outs and downgrading due to imprecision, I even have the impression that Cochrane was overplaying it a little.

I suppose we'll just have to wait and see what the revised review looks like.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
  17. rvallee

Oh yeah, forgot about those. They were awful to the point where they should be considered disinformation. Extremely dishonest and clueless at best.

18. Medfeb

Medfeb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Were these training videos specifically for ME or more general videos?

Annamaria and MSEsperanza like this.
  19. Adrian

JaneL, Annamaria, MSEsperanza and 6 others like this.
  20. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

:wtf:Oh yes Aunty Clare’s pep talks drink fewer pints and get off the bus s stop earlier. The role play is so fake. You can tell it’s not a genuine ME patient they haven’t got a print out of any research they found online

Arnie Pye, JemPD, JaneL and 10 others like this.