1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Cochrane ME/CFS GET review temporarily withdrawn

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Trish, Oct 17, 2018.

1. Daisymay

Daisymay Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yep definitely notable, and I think the Reuters article "smells" as if there was input from the SMC, including the ploy to have quotes from a prominent establishment figure. Blakemore is making a complete idiot of himself with this.

Thanks so very much to all who've worked on this. Thinking of Bob at this time.

Woolie, janice, Jan and 35 others like this.
  2. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

We should remember that Bob (Robert Courtney) produced really good comments around them giving PACE a clean bill of health and the outcome switching they did in their own review. They basically failed to answer those comments.

Woolie, janice, Jan and 40 others like this.
  3. inox

inox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ah.. I see. Thank you @Andy and @Keela Too as well - sometimes it feels like we need a Game of Thrones style map/viewers guide of all involved and their role in the plot....

Woolie, Jan, Invisible Woman and 21 others like this.
  4. Adrian

Tovey has known there are issues with this review for a very long time. Coyne complained to him about it and Tovey made excuses about the CoI issues that Coyne but ignored the other issues. To my mind he is the editor and is responsible for a failed editorial process. He is not a suitable person to investigate the review since his inaction is part of the issue.

Woolie, Jan, lycaena and 18 others like this.
  5. Adrian

She also did a series of training videos for GPs that are worth a look if you want something to raise your blood pressure. Her attitude seemed to be that it is up to patients to prove a treatment is dangerous.

Woolie, Invisible Woman, Joh and 16 others like this.
  6. Jim001

Jim001 Established Member (Voting Rights)

"“in response to concerns raised by members of the CFS community” they are considering moving responsibility for research reviews on CFS/ME away from their mental health department into another section — possibly the “long-term conditions” section."

This review may only be concerned with GET, and not CBT, but if they move responsibility for research reviews on CFS/ME away from mental health then it doesn't bode well for the long term, or even short term, viability of their CBT review either.

Woolie, Jan, James and 25 others like this.
  7. Stewart

Stewart Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If I was on Twitter I would respond pointing out that Tovey explicitly says in the article that this *isn't* about "lobby groups bullying scientists because they disagree with the results", regardless of what Blakemore might hysterically claim. (Or as Michael Sharpe would undoubtedly phrase it "Can I suggest you read the paper?")

@dave30th - look what Cochrane got you for your birthday! A retraction! Just what you've always wanted! And it's only a week late...

Woolie, Jan, Indigophoton and 38 others like this.
  8. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Even better news!

This makes much more likely the long term possibility of Cochrane actually coming up with something in relation to ME that is not only not harmful but also useful.

[Edited to correct grammar. So excited I keep coming back and rereading this thread.]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2023
    Woolie, Joh, 2kidswithME and 18 others like this.
  9. inox

inox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oh... I think I've actually seen some of those, pretty much training in how to gaslight your patients....? :mad: didn't note the name or make the connection to Wessley though, gaargh!

But - no more! This is a happy day! :balloons:

10. Samuel

Samuel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

11. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Blakemore has been involved before in supporting Wessely in his claims against patients. From 2011 in the Times

https://www.meassociation.org.uk/20...r-colin-blakemore-in-the-times-2-august-2011/

Beneath the words about understanding cfs/ME lies the same meme of patient aggression, extremism etc

ETA: clarified one word

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2018
    Woolie, Invisible Woman, Joh and 9 others like this.
  12. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

We need to be careful to put this in perspective. Somehow they ignored, dismissed or were unaware of the growing number of world class scientists who are saying what we are saying. Its not patients, alone, or activists, alone, its a growing number of scientists with impeccable credentials. Reuters needs to cover that as well.

It does not help that they are following the standard misrepresentation and bias either. I for one do not care if ME is considered psychiatric or not, I want good science. The substance of the science is important, not the label. We are not getting good science. We are getting atrocious "science" that does not meet the minimal requirements of what I consider even substandard science. Its not really science at all.

This is not being fought on the scientific merits, if it was we would have already won. This is being fought through politics, zombie science, and public relations. To the extent that science is involved its about the scientific establishment, not the science, who are supporting this. The emphasis is on establishment, and most of these do not seem to be scientists but doctors and others who do not adhere to sound scientific practice. That includes some under the Cochrane banner.

We do need to try to keep in mind that we need to address the public relations as well as the science. I almost did not write this post because of this potential conundrum. However I think something needs to be said, and we need to provide our own narrative, one based on evidence, reason, and sound scientific practices.

Woolie, Inara, janice and 40 others like this.
  13. Roy S

Roy S Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It will be interesting to see if more articles have the familiar SMC tactics. I wish someone on their media contact list would make their behind the scenes manipulations public.

14. Joel

Joel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well she would say that, wouldn't she.

Well done to all the so called activists who pointed out all the scientific problems with Cochrane because despite what CG claims that is what this decision is all about.

15. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hopefully he's busy fighting off editors for all the major publications asking him to write on this!

Yeah, I don't think it should never be raised, but when people discuss this issue without being very careful with their language it can easily cause us problems. Even when people are careful with their language they can still be misinterpreted, and used to fit into a story of concerns about PACE/CFS/GET being motivated by concerns about the stigma of MH. When we've got so many prejudices against us I think it's normally worth avoiding that topic (unless you're certain you've got lots of time to explain the details, and that the person you're talking to isn't going to try to take something out of context to use against you).

16. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Kate Kelland who wrote the Reuters article has a history of bias, and links with the SMC were pointed out a year ago.

https://usrtk.org/our-investigations/acc_loves_katekelland/

It’s quite a long article to read before the SMC emerges into the story. I always thought Reuters was a model of reliability in reporting. I got that wrong.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
    Woolie, Samuel, James and 19 others like this.
  17. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

18. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Absolutely brilliant news. :woot::party::balloons:

Tempered more than a little by Bob not being around to see the fruits of his hard work. :( :cry:

We all owe him and Tom Kindlon in particular, but also some others, a huge thanks for their first class work, courage, and tenacity in taking on Cochrane. :thumbup:

Woolie, janice, Chezboo and 40 others like this.
  19. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

20. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Accountability is coming for the likes of Ms G and her knighted spouse, and the shitty cult they helped create. Proper legal, scientific, and moral accountability. And those videos are one of the more substantive exhibits for the prosecution.

Woolie, Jan, Hutan and 17 others like this.