1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Call to Action: Westminster Hall (UK) (parliamentary) debate: PACE trial and its effect on people with ME - Carol Monaghan February 20

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Dolphin, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

2. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It also has knock-on consequences for later state pension entitlement, because only certain DWP sickness payments accrue National Insurance credits, and are much harder to get if mis-classified as mental health.

MEMarge, ladycatlover, ukxmrv and 9 others like this.
  3. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MEMarge, ladycatlover, Inara and 7 others like this.
  4. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

5. large donner

large donner Guest

Ye, that's why the big networks and politicians are so good at predicting recent election outcomes cos its best to ignore social media and use your mates to tell you whats going to happen cos they are in the mainstream networks and so are you.

Ignore direct information from the people they have no idea that mainstream is surveying the people to present what the people will do and what they think.

Laughable.

6. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

I think there is another whole area around PACE that needs addressing which is its use to justify a MUS approach. I think there was a slide set recently being discussed by Kings and others which referred to a 22% recovery with CBT which they didn't reference back to PACE but its the likely source of the figures.

It looks like certain hospital trusts are using the results they helped spin to try to get additional work.

Woolie, ladycatlover, Dolphin and 9 others like this.
  7. Keela Too

Keela Too Senior Member (Voting Rights)

8. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think it would be a mistake for Carol to raise most of that stuff.

If we've got a chance to challenge someone from the Ministry of Health on the specific problems with the PACE trial there's no way it would be a good idea to start talking about "lack of proper multidisciplinary NHS hospital-based services", treating with antivirals, or mitochondria issues.

If she starts bringing that stuff up it will perfectly allow the Minister to respond with 'compassionate' waffle, and make CBT/GET seem like more evidence based interventions compared to speculative alternative treatments like antivirals. I don't understand why anyone would think that is a sensible line to take in a debate on PACE. [edit: It could be I'm being unfair here, and that the briefing was very largely about PACE, and then they just happened to mention a few other things in passing, without any suggestion she raise them during the debate. It's not clear from that summary, and I probably shouldn't read more into it than was there. I may have let my nerves run away with me!]

There are clearly indefensible problems with PACE that it would be difficult to properly cover in 10 minutes. Why not focus on them? I have to admit to being pretty baffled by that briefing. Hopefully Carol will still focus on the problems with PACE in the time she has available.

PS: Those currently being paid to provide "multidisciplinary NHS" services seem pretty keen on making misleading claims about CBT/GET, and have certainly not been of any help with highlighting the problems with much of the research surrounding CFS. I'm far from convinced that they're a sensible priority for funding.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    Simone, JemPD, ladycatlover and 15 others like this.
  9. Adrian

When there was a House of Lords debate on PACE it was clear that several members had been heavily briefed by the PACE team leading to them making inaccurate statements as the accepted all the spin.

I would expect similar this time but with peer reviewed criticism now published its harder for QMUL to do such spin. It would be good to force the higher education minister to give a statement about QMUL spending so much money to keep data and trial results private - it seems like a misuse of public funds. And we should remember than there is still unpublished data from PACE (step test, individual dimensions of the EQ5d) as well as more individual patent data where an analysis could allow for better understanding of questions around subjective outcomes,

10. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

As I understood it, these were items covered on yesterday's meeting, but that PACE will be main subject at Westminster Hall.

ladycatlover, MEMarge, JohnM and 2 others like this.
  11. Esther12

Yes - they seem much more useful topics to raise. I was also unsure if someone from the Ministry of Health was really appropriate for the response.

I wonder if they will still be able to find people willing to promote PACE's spin? What would be in it for a career politician at this point? In ten minutes, Carol would be able to undermine PACE, and most of the possible defences (and maybe explain some of the problems with Cochrane too). Maybe the Minister will not try to do much to defend PACE?

I'd have preferred a focus on PACE (there's enough to talk about!) rather than risk distracting things with more tentative findings.

Barry, ladycatlover, MEMarge and 4 others like this.
  12. Adrian

I think some in the Lords had more of an interest in that they are part of that medical community. I think Lord Winston was one. But not sure about MPs apart from the doctor who heads the health select committee who may be supportive of the BPS approaches.

Barry, ladycatlover, Dolphin and 3 others like this.
  13. Indigophoton

Indigophoton Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I suspect the point of mentioning the various physiological things that CS lists was to illustrate that ME is not psychological, since the assumption that it is is a key flaw in the logic of PACE.

For people with no particular background in, or awareness of, ME, like, I expect, most MPs, pointing out that it is in fact biological rather than psychological is worth doing, otherwise they will probably default to assuming it's a mental health issue.

And I guess they raised some issues around biomed research (like antiviral trials etc) to illustrate the problems with funding, and how much was wasted on PACE.

14. Esther12

I don't think that assumption is a key flaw in the logic of PACE, and all too often the 'psych vs bio' debate is a distraction from the real problems with PACE, and can let people portray PACE critics are just being afraid of the stigma of MH. It would be possible for a condition to be related to mitochondria problems, and for CBT/GET to be useful. PACE is seriously flawed regardless of what CFS may or many not be, and it seems a needless risk to bring up other research findings which are still uncertain.

Some people classing CFS as a mental health condition, or semi-MH, or whatever, can have important legal, financial and political implications, and I'm not saying we should just ignore this, but it's best to have that be as marginal a part of the debate about PACE as possible imo.

I suspect people like Lord Winston would be less keen on speaking out in support of PACE at this point. At the time it was clear that he and the others speaking in defence of PACE had no real understanding of what they were saying.

15. Indigophoton

I doubt the DWP would have thought it worth contributing to the cost of PACE had they not thought it could yield a cure for ME, and thus get people off benefits. The DWP have apparently not paid towards any other clinical trials. They were keen to be involved based on the assumption that ME is psychological, and that CBT and GET might fix it.

Since taxpayer money, and a government department, were so directly involved in PACE, I think pointing out that the basic premise about the illness on which the trial was based is completely flawed is pretty relevant when talking about it to MPs.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  16. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's a shame they couldn't all just watch David Tullers rip it up speech:
    DT PACE 1.jpg DT PACE 2.jpg
    DT PACE 3.jpg
    DT PACE 4.jpg DT PACE 5.jpg
    DT PACE 6.jpg

Attached Files:

janice, Barry, Solstice and 15 others like this.
  17. Esther12

It's not really a clear cut issue though. They're promoting similar approaches for MS. A lot of the biomedical research around ME/CFS is still tentative. Whenever I've seen real debates about PACE, this is an issue which tends to go against critics, or lead to an uninteresting discussion and draw. It's an area where PACE defenders are best placed to push back, or muddy the water, so I'd try to focus on other stuff.

ladycatlover and Barry like this.
  18. Esther12

Thought I should add that, while not keen on some of the MEA briefing, I'm sure that they did a massively better job than Action for ME would have.

Simone, NelliePledge, Barry and 2 others like this.
  19. Indigophoton

I take your point @Esther12, although I didn't think there was still debate about whether ME is physiological amongst those who've actually looked at the evidence objectively.

I guess I'm just not sure how well MPs will do with the technical/math arguments - I suspect they might switch off. From that point of view, and given that MPs likely know little about ME, giving them some of the bigger picture as it relates to PACE could help. I assume that's what the ME Assoc. were aiming to do.

20. Esther12

There's so much uncertainty over what it even means for something to be a 'mental health' condition that there might always be some debate, and at the moment we're still lacking a solid understanding of the cause of ill-health with ME/CFS. I find that the whole area has a lot of room for cloudy dissembling that lets people avoid the clear problems with PACE.