1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Call to Action: Westminster Hall (UK) (parliamentary) debate: PACE trial and its effect on people with ME - Carol Monaghan February 20

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Dolphin, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Liv aka Mrs Sowester

Liv aka Mrs Sowester Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That's a shame.
    Weren't you living in the area at the time @MeSci ? Or have I miss remembered?

2. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I was in Polyphant. I checked, and my water came from elsewhere. But I did go to Camelford sometimes, I think. My memory is hazy.

The paper is called 'The Legend of Camelford: medical consequences of a water pollution accident' and it's by David, A S and Wessely, S C, dated 1995. I can find bits of it but not the whole article for free.

3. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

What a thoroughly offensive title. A humorous reference to the Legend of Camelot I expect, but it's hardly a subject for levity. Everything's just one big joke to Sir Simon.

4. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

As in "the legend?"

"What's afoot?"

5. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://sci-hub.tw/10.1016/0022-3999(94)00085-J

Attached Files:

6. Simone

Simone Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is it worth sending a response about how PACE has been used (& misused) here in Australia?

7. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I would say yes. Just an outline summary of the major harms maybe.
    The person I was discussing it with last week, was keen to get evidence of PACE impacts in other countries. She had something from USA.

Even though this is a debate only lasting 30 mins, the MP is able to get a lot of info over quickly, so a reference to "these misleading conclusions have meant that CBT and GET have formed the basis of treatment not only in England....

Although the focus on 20 Feb is a 30 min debate. the subject will continue to be researched and form the basis for further parliamentary action, especially as the Clinical Guidelines are being redone. The new Guideline will be produced in 2020, so we need max pressure/social media/gathering of harms/info re what Drs and clinics are currently offering around the world.

The number of emails received is also useful - shows that so many people, including from other countries are horrified by the negative impact PACE has had on people with ME and the block on biomedical research.

Thanks Simone

8. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Valentijn please could you do an email re Netherlands if you have the energy, wouldn't need to be long, just emphasises that PACE has led to disastrous consequences around Europe too.

@TiredSam could you or a fellow resident do the same re Germany.
    Can't remember current avatar name for French guy @Andy can you think of other country reps.
    @Kalliope for Norway. Who is in Canada on this forum?

All ideas and input welcome.

9. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

@Inara @Joh

10. Joh

Joh Senior Member (Voting Rights)

11. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I very much agree. Although it is not clear to me exactly what the aim of the 'debate' is. I would have thought that if it was about PACE the discussion should focus clearly on the conflict of interest and the poor science quality. If it is an excuse to raise the profile of ME that is OK but that would be a whole different issue for a 10 minute presentation and multidisciplinary themas and anti-virals should certainly be kept well out of it. Multidisciplinary team more or less equates to MUS service - get a load of girls along to provide therapies based on voodoo.

12. Valentijn

Valentijn Guest

Already done last week:
    My understanding is that it's already fairly well-accepted that PACE was substandard science, to say the least, and this is now about demonstrating the real-world impact it has had on patients. Hopefully it will give them a reason to oppose such bad practices in the future, instead of ignoring it as a purely abstract academic matter.

13. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Could you please PM me with the email address you used, @Valentijn I'll send one from Norway as well.

14. Andy

Andy Committee Member

I think @Cheshire is based in France (apologies if that's not correct).
    @ScottTriGuy is one of our Canadian members.

I'm sure we have members from Sweden (@Helen ?), Bulgaria? (@dadouv47 ?), Spain (can't remember their user name), Ireland (@Tom Kindlon ), a number from New Zealand (@Hutan as one example).

For those tagged who are new to this thread so don't understand the context - a Scottish MP is seeking feedback from patients who have been affected by the PACE trial in any way, so we are trying to get patients from as many countries as possible to send her an email so that she understands how wide reaching an effect the PACE trial has had. The MP's name is Carol Monaghan and her email address is carol.monaghan.mp@parliament.uk.

15. Joh

Joh Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks for this great summary, will write an email and also forwarded it.

16. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Carol has a Facebook page, would be good if those of us on Facebook show some support on this post, even if it's just a like.

17. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I posted this quite early on this thread but no direct answer.
    @Adrian

Indigophoton, Jan, Inara and 4 others like this.
  18. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

I don't think that is possible. I think the best I could do is set up a group and then send alerts through the admin console (so it would need to be me sending them). Xenforo doesn't allow groups to be tagged as far as I can tell. I will try to look for an addon that may allow it.

19. Cheshire

Cheshire Moderator Staff Member

Yes @Andy I'm French. It's a bit complicated for France to say that the PACE trial has had a bad influence because there are no official guidelines here. But nonetheless, CBT and GET are often cited as the treatment of choice here and there. And as it has prevented the disease to be properly researchered, it sure has had a negative impact. So I don't know what can be said precisely.

20. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member