1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Bias caused by reliance on patient-reported outcome measures in non-blinded randomized trials: an in-depth look at exercise therapy for CFS, 2020,Tack

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Andy, Nov 25, 2020.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Paywall, https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/21641846.2020.1848262
    Sci hub. no access at time of posting.

ETA: Corrected access details.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
  2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Michelle, shak8, sebaaa and 40 others like this.
  3. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Here's a Twitter summary:
    https://twitter.com/user/status/1331549296156700672

2) Our analysis focuses on a discrepancy between several randomized trial that report graded exercise therapy (GET) for chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) is effective and multiple surveys by patient organizations that indicate just the opposite.

3) All trials on GET for CFS were not blinded and relied on patient-reported outcome measures. Some (for example Edwards 2017 and Wilshire et al. 2018) have suggested that this trial introduces bias that could distort the main outcomes.

4) Patients who know they are receiving an active intervention rather than a passive control might be more optimistic about its effect on their health or report symptoms according to what they think will please the investigators.

5) We’ve tried to investigate this hypothesis further.

We investigated the size of patient-reported improvements, their consistency over time and congruence with objective measurements. We reviewed mediation analyses, plausible mechanisms of improvement and the risk of expectancy effects.

6) First, we found that the reported improvements were really small, comparable to the minimally clinically important difference for each of the scales and questionnaires, and similar to bias that has been attributed to blinding in other studies.

7) Second, we note that the differences between the GET and control group are often no longer statistically significant if assessments are made not directly after treatment, but a couple of months later.

(caveat: this can also be due to decreased statistical power).

8) Third, Vink & Vink-Niese showed in their analysis of the Cochrane review that objective measures - that are believed to be more robust to bias due to lack of blinding – show little improvements, in contrast to subjective outcomes.

9) Fourth, mediation analyses suggests that the reported improvements in GET-trials are not the result of an increase in fitness as the theory behind this treatment assumed. Exercise therapy in CFS currently lacks a plausible mechanism for improvement.

10) Lastly, the risk of expectancy effects is large as the treatment manuals of GET show how therapists were instructed to encourage optimism while patients were told to interpret their CFS symptoms as a consequence of deconditioning, stress or anxiety instead of an unknown disease.

11) Based on the arguments outlined above, we conclude that treatment effects seen in exercise trials for CFS are likely the result of bias associated with a lack of blinding

12) We acknowledge a level of uncertainty about our hypothesis but argue that the burden of proof lies, as for all interventions, on those claiming efficacy. Those who claim that a treatment is effective should provide evidence that reported improvements are not merely the result of methodological weaknesses.

13) We hope this case study furthers critical assessment of patient-reported improvements in areas of medicine where blinding of therapists and trial participants faces practical limitations.

Michelle, Daisybell, sebaaa and 39 others like this.
  4. Cheshire

Cheshire Moderator Staff Member

Great work, thank you to the three authors.

sebaaa, alktipping, Hutan and 18 others like this.
  5. ME/CFS Skeptic

Thanks to Tom Kindlon, Simon McGrath, and Andrew Kewley for providing thoughtful comments to earlier drafts of the analysis.

Also big thanks to Jonathan Edwards who has been most articulate about this argument for example in his 2017 commentary on the PACE trial or his recent testimony to the NICE guideline, discussed in this thread:
    The difficulties of conducting intervention trials for the treatment of [ME/CFS]: Expert testimony to NICE guidelines committee by Jonathan Edwards | Science for ME (s4me.info)

Michelle, sebaaa, EzzieD and 32 others like this.
  6. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Kitty, MSEsperanza and Andy like this.
  7. ME/CFS Skeptic

It's not open-access. But the first 50 people who use the link I provided on Twitter should be able to access the full-version for free.

Dolphin, sebaaa, alktipping and 8 others like this.
  8. mango

mango Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Congrats on your publication :)

I was able to download it :) Thank you so much :thumbsup:

9. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Well done. I won’t download the full paper as I prefer to leave access to people with more brain power than me but I really appreciate your work and I found the abstract informative.

10. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wow, thank you to the three authors and all involved.

(Haven't read it yet, was too late for a free full text, but am sure it's a very valuable read.)

To facilitate sharing, how about fundraising for an open access to the paper? What does it cost?

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
  11. ME/CFS Skeptic

To be honest, most of the arguments in our paper are not new, but well known within the ME/CFS patient community. Most of those who have been following the literature closely are probably well aware of these issues. It has been discussed on this forum multiple times.

I thought it was worth spelling out these arguments in a scientific publication, to provide an overview that can be referenced and shared among doctors and researchers.

Dolphin, MEMarge, Michelle and 28 others like this.
  12. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Important. Especially how obsessively those are used, on and on and on. Always using the same methods to assess, despite those methods not being valid. Patient-reported outcomes can be made relevant with care and effort. Here the effort is the exact opposite, meant to misrepresent and redirect to an alternative cause and features, a bias multiplier of sorts, about as susceptible to manipulation and misinterpretation as "lie detectors". They stem from ideology, not outcomes that are relevant to patients and even less to outcomes that are objective and significant.

But I think there is a greater point, one that is harder to make as most physicians would be confused by it: the rating instruments used are not pertinent, they are not specific and they capture a tiny portion of the illness at best. Much of what they are concerned with is actually not relevant at all. It's one thing to rely strictly on self-reported outcomes, it's a whole other thing to rely strictly on largely irrelevant self-reported outcomes, further distorted by biased analysis from conflicted individuals.

The various psychometric questionnaires, the CFQ and other measures, they are all vague and imprecise to the point of being useless. None of them have any significant relevance to ME, they ignore most of the features and symptoms and are especially ambiguous, with responses that can vary despite no significant factors having been changed.

This point is harder to make since the misrepresentation of ME as being just fatigue has been the only effective outcome of the BPS ideology. So to most physicians looking into this, the reported outcomes seem relevant. But they aren't, not even close. They could not really be any less pertinent and as the only tools to be used in the fabrication of the current paradigm, they add up to a whole bunch of nothing.

The bias isn't just there and significant, it's maximal, it genuinely could not be any more biased than it is. It corrupts the whole to the point where the whole paradigm may as well be presented as genuine belief system, closer in letter and spirit to Scientology than any credible scientific knowledge.

sebaaa, alex3619, EzzieD and 13 others like this.
  13. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

But spelling out the evidence is always what matters - and what takes the hard work.

MEMarge, Michelle, shak8 and 25 others like this.
  14. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

15. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

Fantastic work, Michiel, Dave and Caroline!

A suggestion: if you were to create an account on ResearchGate (free to anyone), you could post the manuscript version of the fulltext of this paper there, and still be within the copyright rules of Taylor and Francis (that's the version before it got formatted by the publishers).

If you did that, we could link to the article here, and everyone could read it. Without violating any copyright restrictions. Also, the link would appear alongside the paper name whenever it appeared in a Google Scholar search.

16. ME/CFS Skeptic

Thanks for this helpful suggestion.

I've been reading about this and it seems that I can post the Accepted Manuscript (AM) on my personal website but not on repositories like Researchgate. On the other hand, I can post the Author’s Original Manuscript (AOM) anywhere I like. see: Publishing Open Access - What is Open Access? | Author Services (taylorandfrancis.com)

So I'm wondering what would be the best option: post the AM on me/cfsskeptic@wordpress.com or post the OAM on Researchgate?

17. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

Hmmm, I would go for ResarchGate - you're right, technically, the rules only cover personal and institutional repositories, and ResearchGate is a third party private host. So yes, if you want to stay strictly in the rules, its not allowed.

But in practice, everyone ignores that. The big publishing houses know they're on borrowed time if they mess with that (there is already a huge backlash against them in academic circles). Plus, in practice, there's no means for them to check the version you posted against the original one you submitted, so in other words, they cannot easily detect exactly which version you posted (unless its the final formatted one).

Technically speaking I don't think the rules would allow you to post your piece on WordPress for the same reason - its a private, third party host, not your own or your Instutition's website (You could link to it from elsewhere though). The reason ResearchGate is good is because its well trawled by Google Scholar bots. So the link to your fulltext paper is more likely to pop up if anyone does a google scholar search.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
    Amw66, MSEsperanza, Dolphin and 8 others like this.
  18. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

I agree with @Woolie, Researchgate is likely to make it more easy to find.

19. Mike Dean

Mike Dean Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Patients are not to be believed - except when answering unbelievable questionnaires.

spinoza577, Woolie, MEMarge and 7 others like this.
  20. ME/CFS Skeptic