1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Australian teenager tells story of threats and mistreatment

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by MyalgicE, May 10, 2019.

1. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

He was in the game from the early days. The Dubbo studies surprised me as they were so different from the shocking psychological stance taken in the writings of Lloyd and Hickie before that.

Sid and Roy S like this.
  2. MyalgicE

MyalgicE Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That never fails to horrify me.

Arvo, Mithriel and mango like this.
  3. MyalgicE

MyalgicE Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well, the official title of the Dubbo study is “‘A prospective study of the psychiatric & medical characteristics of post-infective fatigue & chronic fatigue syndrome”...

https://meaustralia.net/2018/05/06/...gensis-of-melancholia-and-other-wasted-money/

Mithriel and chrisb like this.
  4. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I thought it striking how your history of ME in Australia effectively commenced with Hickie in 1992. It is almost as if they learned how to do the really bad stuff from the CIBA Symposium, 12-14 May 1992. Hickie and Lloyd were both prominent. Perhaps there were late evening seminars on how to snaffle all available research funding. Someone must have had experience.

Mithriel, Sid and rvallee like this.
  5. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I knew someone slightly in Australia in the 1970's with ME. As far as I know it was believed to be a disabling physical illness.

Mithriel, rvallee and chrisb like this.
  6. chrisb

It would be interesting to know when that view changed. I am presuming that the history is written up in the way it was because there was some change of attitude in the early 1990's to reflect that elsewhere.

7. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There were researchers publishing things on ME from Australia in the 80s. Unfortunately, Australians tend to follow the lead of the rest of the world and this is no exception. Australians were following the lead of the CDC (1988 Holmes) and UK psychiatrists (Oxford 1991) to separate ME from CFS and it's typical infectious trigger (Chronic EBV syndrome) and focus diagnosis entirely on the symptoms of fatigue experienced over a long period of time (6+ months). This view, led by Lloyd and his friends quickly became the dominant view.

Mithriel, Sean, Trish and 1 other person like this.
  8. chrisb

Interesting. I was just forcibly struck by the coincidence of the grant application in 1992 regarding chronic fatigue and neurasthenia, which seemed so similar to much of the goings on at the CIBA conference. Lloyd must have returned to Australia in late 1992 from Fort Detrick. (All right then, the National Cancer Institute, but Frederick, Maryland I view with suspicion.) There seems to have been a surprising conformity of views emerge, which were wholly at odds with the prior "mainstream" view.

Mithriel and Trish like this.
  9. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Here is Lloyd 1988 talking about how much better the name "CFS" is than "ME". https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(88)92107-1/fulltext

Trish and chrisb like this.
  10. Arvo

Arvo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

bobbler likes this.
  11. Arvo

Arvo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There's also a reply by Ramsay to the Lloyd et al article that is not accessible via the link given (better not click the link given at that time by Anniekim, my computer gave a safety warning for the page). If anyone has that, I'd be interested as well.

(Tagging you too @anniekim , although you haven't been online for a while. I hope you're doing ok.)

Hutan and bobbler like this.