1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Assessment of the scientific rigour of RCTs on the effectiveness of CBT and GET for ME/CFS: a systematic review (2019) Ahmed et al

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by JohnTheJack, May 11, 2019.

1. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Indeed.

Welcome Simon, I hope you enjoy your stay on this forum! *waves*

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  2. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is one reason mixed MUS studies will likely have few objective outcome measures that might theoretically be used in trials of ME/CFS alone. For example, actigraphy wouldn’t say much about whether an intervention has helped Irritable Bowel Syndrome.

3. Dolphin

What’s the Friedman study?

4. Dolphin

Usually several papers on the one trial are normally seen as one trial rather than the way this paper presents them.

5. Dolphin

Cochrane reviews of CBT and (separately) GET for CFS involve tables like Figure 2 [“Summary of risk of bias of included studies”]. My guess is they don’t agree 100%.

6. Dolphin

I’m not sure of the classification of the PACE Trial recovery paper as “low risk of bias” for “Selective reporting (reporting bias)” given all four outcome measures were changed from the protocol and two of the thresholds were described as post hoc in the 2011 paper.
    ---
    They do say the following in the text, but many people may only look at the figure:
    Deviations from its protocol are mentioned by O’Dowd et al. (2006) and White et al. (2011, 2013).

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
  7. Dolphin

I'm not happy with the classification of O'Dowd et al. 2006 as having a “low risk of bias” for “Selective reporting (reporting bias)” for the reasons discussed in this post:
    https://www.s4me.info/threads/asses...view-2019-ahmed-et-al.9449/page-2#post-167344

They do say the following in the text, but many people may only look at the figure:
    Deviations from its protocol are mentioned by O’Dowd et al. (2006) and White et al. (2011, 2013).

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
    Esther12 and Amw66 like this.
  8. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sorry I meant Friedberg and the actimeter studies he did:
    I might have overstated that he found an activity limit. If I remember correctly, the second study mostly showed that subjective improvements after CBT are not accompanied by objective improvements in actigraphy. And the first one is just a case study, but it does include the interesting passage:

Amw66 and Dolphin like this.
  9. Dolphin

Table 1. Overview of interventions in the included studies.
    Table 2. Outcome measures and measuring instruments used.
    Table 3. ‘Improvement’ and ‘recovery’ operationalized as a combination of several outcome measures (cut-off scores).

Table 2 includes the following:
    These might be useful for people who want to get information quickly on studies, though ideally checked the original papers if one has time.

10. Dolphin

Very minor point:

I have no idea what they are taking about with regards to the Deale et al. study.

11. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

12. Tom Kindlon

13. Tom Kindlon

14. Tom Kindlon

15. Tom Kindlon

16. Tom Kindlon

17. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Barry, Esther12, Hutan and 8 others like this.