1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Assessment of the scientific rigour of RCTs on the effectiveness of CBT and GET for ME/CFS: a systematic review (2019) Ahmed et al

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by JohnTheJack, May 11, 2019.

1. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I wish! Every day is a challenge and I often exceed my envelope. Needs must.

2. InfiniteRubix

InfiniteRubix Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MEMarge and Snowdrop like this.
  3. arewenearlythereyet

arewenearlythereyet Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am fine if studies are completely detached from “improving fitness” as you suggest and more centred on understanding what is wrong when we exercise ..however the ethical issue remains (as it does for CPET). In order to study the mechanism ...do we have to harm someone?

The idea that mild people are these more appropriate test subjects doesn’t ring true for me.

I’m classed as mild according to the MEA scale ...my most recent PEM attack (worst for over a year...lasting 3 days and after 2 weeks I still haven’t recovered from it) was from spending 1 hr sat down painting a window for only an hour on 3 consecutive days (taking all the normal precautions). I stupidly thought if I took a week off work and looked at my heart rate monitor and rested for the rest of the time it would be fine. After all I wasn’t at work. The weakness in my right arm from doing this fairly gentle activity is still there...I can’t lift up my iPad to write this.

I see a lot of threads mention mild people as if they are somehow different to the rest of us.

As a mild person ...yes you can do more than a severe person but in my case it definitely doesn’t involve any useful form of exercise. Walking more than a few yards at a time, running jogging for a minute they all make me crash. Even if you think you know what your limits are it’s all too easy to push over or be surprised by other things that may be going on.

So given this, how would one determine what a “mild’ person could do and what was appropriate in terms of a challenge? Surely this depends on what else they have going on? If there is variance within the definition of mild, how do you tailor something to the individual test subject?

So I think the problem has to be solved, not by challenging subjects with ‘appropriate exercise’, more by way of monitoring what happens to muscles, circulation etc as part of everyday life. This seems to point to some form of constant monitoring or some modelling work? This would be more useful in terms of specifying realistic context.

This poses some challenges in terms of test method and controls, but the moral dilemma is still there and can’t really be dealt with by suggesting mild people have less to lose or somehow have more resilience. I know that’s not what you are saying @Andy but I can see this assumption being made due to the problems with scales and definitions and it should be a consideration for any experimental design. It’s that bloody word mild that’s the problem.

I personally believe that all test subjects whether mild moderate or severe are just as entitled to hold on to what they have and no experiment should cause deterioration. I seem to see a lot of accounts of severe people on this forum that were mild originally so it does happen.

Perhaps I am being over cautious ...I’ve seen a slow deterioration and I can’t help but wonder whether there is an accumulative effect of crashing.

MEMarge, Hutan, Medfeb and 8 others like this.
  4. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It is! And most won't realize until they're 10+ years into the illness.

MEMarge, JoanneS, rvallee and 6 others like this.
  5. Cheshire

Cheshire Moderator Staff Member

Last edited: May 14, 2019
    Andy likes this.
  6. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Has he ever had one?

rvallee, ukxmrv and Trish like this.
  7. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Very peculiar.

EzzieD and ukxmrv like this.
  8. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Looks like a copy and paste error to me.

Is he collecting bookmarks for later use?

9. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, he will has just posted the wrong link into his tweet. Nice to see he's a reader of the forum! Makes it undeniable that he's aware he is misrepresenting the views of his critics.

10. Esther12

11. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Perhaps we should offer "truth and reconciliation" facilities.

NelliePledge, Mij, MEMarge and 5 others like this.
  12. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Seems particularly weird given his input on GWI

MEMarge and rvallee like this.
  13. Esther12

Truth, accountability, and reconciliation?

MEMarge, Hutan, rvallee and 2 others like this.
  14. Inara

Inara Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, mild ME is severe for most people.

MEMarge, MSEsperanza, Samuel and 6 others like this.
  15. Esther12

Tweet deleted... booo!

What a surprise that he doesn't want to encourage people to see what real patients are saying about his work.

16. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

+1

I probably could have stayed at a level where I would at least have been able to work part-time and sustain my independence. I blew off past it by pushing and haven't improve in 3 years, whereas I used to stabilize up a bit before. Fuck the BPS noise and their monstrous ideology.

17. rvallee

Besides self-interest? No.

MEMarge likes this.
  18. rvallee

Ah, but he left the field in 2001, he said so in the press many times, so it can't possibly be his own work that has his name on it. Must be another Simon.

19. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've wondered if it should be moderate, substantial, severe, very severe instead. I can't quite think of a better scale, unless you have 'stage 1' to 'stage 4' or something like that.

Moderator note: This post has been copied, and posts discussing it moved to this new thread:
    ME severity scales - discussion

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2019
  20. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yeah, I agree with this. So far there were only some very small studies by Black & McCully and Friedman who both seemed to indicate that there's an activity ceiling for ME/CFS patients. https://me-pedia.org/wiki/Glass_ceiling_effect

MSEsperanza, Dolphin, MEMarge and 4 others like this.