1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

A nanoelectronics-blood-based diagnostic biomarker for ME/CFS (2019) Esfandyarpour, Davis et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Sly Saint, Apr 29, 2019.

1. wigglethemouse

wigglethemouse Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited: May 10, 2019
    MEMarge, Robert 1973, ukxmrv and 14 others like this.
  2. duncan

duncan Senior Member (Voting Rights)

3. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Did they get the photo from an advert for a sofa company :banghead: the patients in this study are severe are they not - so how many can even made it to a sofa. US groups should ask for the picture to be removed and replaced with one of an actual severe patient.

Last edited: May 14, 2019
  4. duncan

duncan Senior Member (Voting Rights)

To me the news isn't so much that this release spotlights Ron Davis's work. To me the news is that it's from the NIH going out to its subscriber base.

MEMarge, mango, John Mac and 7 others like this.
  5. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That has never been my experience. But then again, we are all different.

Barry and Trish like this.
  6. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

But how would you necessarily know? Many diseases start with such microscopic effects that build ever faster until they eventually become noticeable, and then intrusive, and then maybe worse. In the case of ME I was postulating that something similar might be happening, but the levelling off point for most pwME might be once they are aware enough to instigate a sensible pacing strategy, which then breaks the vicious circle by not then pushing past energy reserves, and so not shrinking them further.

7. roller*

roller* Senior Member (Voting Rights)

two drugs identified !
    they can deactivate "the thing" !

... should this be indeed the previously mentioned Elamipretide SS-31 and copaxone ?
    anyone going to try copaxone ?

https://www.omf.ngo/2019/05/07/health-rising-threading-the-needle-nanoneedle/

i believe, the two esfandyarpours could be brothers, perhaps
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  8. roller*

nanoneedle doesnt know MS or MECFS

definite MECFS = nanoneedle + RBC reduced deform (or brain scan to rule out MS damage)
    https://www.omf.ngo/2019/05/07/health-rising-threading-the-needle-nanoneedle/

sb4, Amw66 and Mithriel like this.
  9. wigglethemouse

wigglethemouse Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Here is an excerpt from Ron Davis's March 2019 Emerge Conference slide.
    Davis_Copaxone_SS31.JPG

And this is the Ativan experiment using Seahorse from the same conference
    Davis_SeahorseAtivan.JPG

So it looks like 3 drugs are of interest for trying to understand what effect they are having on various tests. I imagine these are one off tests, so it's a big jump to say they would work on all patients. In fact several people on various forums have reported trying 2 of the 3 drugs (I don't think SS-31 is on market yet) with mixed results.

andypants, ukxmrv, MeSci and 2 others like this.
  10. roller*

those who have side effects on copaxone may not be candidates for the nanoneedle-signal (as tested)
    would be interesting, to see the nanoneedle signal-test for people with no/worsening effects after copaxone.

but, how great would that be to have a device and test in advance if copaxone will help. without damages caused, changes caused, and money spent.

ss31 may be too expensive for many out there.

i misread the graph. ATIVAN doesnt necessarily "balance out" the impedence signal. it seems to increase mitochondrial respiration.
    since ppl on both forums, for what i read, report only benefits for sleep from ativan. no more. (except for whitney dafoe)

so, there are only two (known) drugs to balance out impedence after salt.

11. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That's not quite what that article says. It says that if the nano-needle can't separate the two illnesses, additional tests might be needed. It doesn't specifically say that it can't distinguish between the two. That remains to be seen.

12. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

And a bit lost in this that if this were a new cheap and reliable test for MS it would be huge news in itself and bring additional funding. An MS diagnosis is still a difficult task, often missed.

It's not going to light up from dozens of conditions, this kind of energy depletion is rare.

13. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Don't think this has been posted (it's about this research):

Source: NIH Research Matters

Date: May 14, 2019

Author: Tianna Hicklin

URL:
    https://www.nih.gov/news-events/nih...ic-encephalomyelitis/chronic-fatigue-syndrome

Blood test may detect myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome
    ----------------------------------------------------------

At a Glance

* Researchers developed a blood test that, in a pilot study, accurately identified people with myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome.

* If validated in larger studies, the assay could one day help diagnose the disease and enable researchers to test potential treatments.

More at link

andypants and adambeyoncelowe like this.
  14. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Your turn, NIH.

*loud clomping noises in the distance, door slams, sounds of running feet*

Oh, well.

15. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Such a person as Ron Davis, having high integrity and very impressive scientific credentials, is vastly more qualified that those who lack either.

andypants, Sean, ukxmrv and 1 other person like this.
  16. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Merged thread
    I don't know if this has been posted already. Moderators, please delete if it has. I thought it noteworthy the NIH presented an article on this OMF research. There are other articles about this study already posted on this forum.

I like the term used in this article about one ME symptom, "extremely poor stamina".

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/nih...ic-encephalomyelitis/chronic-fatigue-syndrome

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2019
  17. Dudden

Dudden Established Member (Voting Rights)

Good job @DokaGirl for staying sharp. Still nice to see NIH taking credit for no effort. Scroll down to the botom of the page and you will understand what I meant.

Or perhaps I can make it easy for you (no need to thank me I am just looking out for my fellows).

Starlight, alktipping and DokaGirl like this.
  18. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Dudden

Yep, noticed the funding bit. I think it's good though, that the NIH put this article out there - it hopefully gets more notice from mainstreamers. And yes, I agree, the people at the OMF have worked very hard, and been denied funding more than once by NIH. And now this institute is basking in the glory, so to speak. :banghead:

sb4, Barry, Starlight and 1 other person like this.
  19. ballard

ballard Established Member

Here's my salute to Francis Collins who happily took credit for the research using the nanoneedle that found a blood marker for ME.

According to Janet Dafoe, "That NIH grant was TERMINATED about 2 years ago because NIH said they didn't want to fund that technology anymore. That grant had funded the initial development of the nanoneedle on cancer cells & bacteria. All the ME/CFS work started AFTER that & was FUNDED BY PATIENTS@OpenMedF"

When I heard that Collins had taken credit, I actually felt like I had been physically punched, given the fact that the NIH's failure to fund research has caused me and millions like me to suffer for decades.

NIH Takes Credit copy.jpeg

sb4, Amw66, ahimsa and 13 others like this.
  20. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well can they turn this around on NIH taking credit, since you are very proud of the nanoneedle we need "more" funding to further develop it. How about $10 million dollars?
    No? But you "got" us this far, the media will give you even more good press if you "further" support our research.

sb4, DokaGirl, Inara and 6 others like this.