1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

A general thread on the PACE trial!

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Esther12, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Annamaria and MEMarge like this.
  2. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

And Peter White's own criteria for CFS are 75 and below on the SF-36. Or at least they were. Maybe they still are, consistency is not really their thing. Regardless this is completely at odds with the concept of 60 being of normal range anything. 60 is a severe level of disability no matter what one thinks, it's what an average 80 year-old rates.

MEMarge, alktipping, EzzieD and 5 others like this.
  3. Andy

Andy Committee Member

rvallee and MEMarge like this.
  4. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

5. rvallee

Despite spending too much time on Twitter and following some of those who commented, I missed this thread yesterday. So always good to post them here, especially when there are requests for more information. I added two articles.

alktipping, Sly Saint, EzzieD and 4 others like this.
  6. rvallee

Dr Myhill made a presentation last May on the PACE trial and about her complaint to the GMC. I thought it was an excellent summary of the issues and how they add up to a case of scientific fraud. The violations are so egregious that they are hard to believe, amounting to system-wide failure that should shake the foundations of medical research. And yet, all true and none of the claims have been refuted, simply reworded and whitewashed.

The trial itself, run according to its original methodology and protocol, would have been weak and unreliable but still would have had to admit to the failure of the CBT-GET paradigm. It failed to show any benefits and numerous steps were taken to hide that fact and turn the null results into a fraudulent positive. There is a financial fraud element because of who was involved as well as general misrepresentation of its results. The facts speak for themselves loud and clear.

I doubt it will work, I expect the GMC to find ways to bury it despite the court order. Most likely is what happened with Crawley, where the facts are not disputed but somehow do not amount to anything of concern, a full whitewash whose conclusions are detached from the evidence, just as PACE itself did.

However I still think it will matter in the end, the facts are damning and make the Wakefield MMR fraud look benign by comparison because of who got involved to squash those concerns and the abundance of evidence that the trials represent a cherry-picked outcome-seeking bubble at odds with reality.

I haven't seen the presentation posted here so here it is. The complaint itself is backed by many PACE participants and additionally over 10K signatures from the patient community. A decision to ignore indisputable claims will be a slap in the face to the very idea of patient safety, but then what else is new when it comes to us?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8eM-C46pAg

Amw66, MEMarge, Sean and 2 others like this.
  7. Barry

Now that is interesting.

MEMarge and Sean like this.
  8. Barry

Do we know who her audience was?

MEMarge likes this.
  9. rvallee

Video reference says:
    It seems like the audience was already familiar with the topic so probably included some supporters who went there to support her. As she explained in the video she gave an ultimatum to the GMC to provide answers to questions she asked about but was ghosted and that she would give this talk to make it more public, in the hope that some press would pick it up. Of course no news media is touching this with the shadowing of the SMC over science reporting and the narrative over poor old aggrieved researchers.

MEMarge, alktipping and Barry like this.
  10. rvallee

We have seen some comments over the years but a consolidated list of verified comments would be very useful. No matter what it says, I would be very much interested in hearing from those participants' own words.

MEMarge, Sean, alktipping and 2 others like this.
  11. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

ukxmrv, Barry, Ellie_Finesse and 15 others like this.
  12. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Got a PACE-trial question: in the statistical analysis plan (Walwyn et al., 2013) it is said:
    But has this data ever been reported in a paper? The main PACE trial paper in the Lancet reported only the expectations of trial participants, not of the staff.

Does anyone have an overview of data from the PACE trial that hasn't been reported? if I remember correctly long-term data on employment were also promised?

Robert 1973, Barry, rvallee and 4 others like this.
  13. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

I think there is a lot unreported which I suspect will stay that way. I don't think they have reported the step test in actual figures but it did slip out in a graph (and that is a secondary outcome).

14. Tom Kindlon

Robert 1973, Woolie, Sean and 7 others like this.
  15. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Robert 1973, ukxmrv, Woolie and 9 others like this.
  16. ME/CFS Skeptic

17. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

18. Barry

Yes, makes you think that maybe the PACE trial could have been based on the Dead Parrot sketch.
    http://montypython.50webs.com/scripts/Series_1/53.htm

19. Tom Kindlon

20. ME/CFS Skeptic