1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

“That's why they don't believe you, you don't look sick!”: Creating Medical Credibility and patient visibility for ME/CFS through Television

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Sly Saint, Jul 4, 2020.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

by Giada Da Ros

https://www.academia.edu/43500038/_...IENT_VISIBILITY_FOR_ME_CFS_THROUGH_TELEVISION

eta: the author
    [​IMG]
    Giada Da Ros
    @Giada_Da_Ros
    TV critic; President of the CFS/ME Italian Association (and CFS/ME patient since 1990); Socratic.
    https://twitter.com/Giada_Da_Ros

http://independent.academia.edu/GiadaDaRos/Papers

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
  2. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

No. At least that's not my understanding.

The philosophical approach that's developed about illness since the 80s possibly.

Even that's been driven more by the attitudes & needs & greed of insurance companies, governments in trying to limit benefits and those eager to find a niche and make a name for themselves on the backs of other people's struggles.

In the 50s and before, prolonged recovery from viral illness and the need to rest and recuperate were understood.

Reading the documents unearthed by @chrisb, among others, it's fairly obvious that there was a glimmer of understanding back in the early 80s.

Louie41, alktipping, Yessica and 10 others like this.
  3. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Does anyone know when this was published? I can't seem to find any reference on the http://telesofia.blogspot.com/ blog or on Giada Da Ros' Twitter (in 2020).
    The most recent reference was from April 1st, so it has to be after then...

Louie41, Michelle, alktipping and 3 others like this.
  4. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Who is "we" in this context?

5. Giada Da Ros

Giada Da Ros New Member

Hello! Giada here. A friend alerted me you were talking about the paper I wrote. I finished it in March and I posted it two days ago on Academia.edu as an "unpublished paper". I am looking for someone to publish it, if they are interested. We'll see.

I do believe there were many patients who challenged the system, and the examples I put forward show that in my opinion. If there was someone who was actively aware that there was a need to change how things were perceived those were CFSME patients. As far as the the Italian experince go, as patients, we definitely re-appropriated the discourse. Probably it was ours in the first place. I think I showed it well through mine and professor Tirelli's experience. And I chose only a couple of examples. I did tons of interviews in the 20 years I've been President of the CFSME Italian association.

"We" in this context means human beings.

6. Daisybell

Daisybell Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Welcome @Giada Da Ros to the forum! It’s great that you have come on here and I hope that you will find lots to be interested in.

7. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to the forum Giarda. I look forward to hearing more about the activities of the CFSME Italian Association.

Later, you might like to think about making a thread for CFSME Italian Association news - or even a regional thread - 'News from Italy'. It is going to be very interesting to see if attitudes to ME/CFS change around the world as a result of the likely large number of people with post-Covid symptoms.

8. Giada Da Ros

Giada Da Ros New Member

9. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

click on tag 'giada da ros' or 'cfs italian association' at top of thread.

MEMarge, adambeyoncelowe and Hutan like this.