1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

What Can We Expect from the Current Review of NICE Guideline CG53 - Nancy Blake

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Sly Saint, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not at this moment. But what stands out to me is that nothing - absolutely nothing - confines their statement here to medicinal drugs treatment, but would seem to cover any kind of treatment. And the phrase "and harm of alternative courses of action" seems to embrace pretty much anything harmful, as of course it should.

So to me it seems we are talking about balancing:
    • The good we do know - pacing - which limits harm and provides best chance of a tolerable life. Need to somehow analyse / demonstrate how, until ME is better understood, this is the most financially optimal solution for the NHS. Versus ...
    • GET, and CBT a la GET. Would be handy if we could factor in the risk of future damages claims, but not sure if that is a bridge too far for this. But there are litigation lawyers keeping an eye on this I've noticed, and as is their way, will be diving in with no-win-no-fee offers I'm sure for suing the medical establishment if they get a chance.

Inara and Andy like this.
  2. Barry

A huge difference this time around (surely?) is that NICE cannot plead ignorance. And they must be keenly aware of that.

Inara, EzzieD and Andy like this.
  3. Barry

Again, not at the moment. But NICE's glossary entry on social value judgements includes:
    [My bold]

Surely if NICE decide to accept evidence on the basis of it being of good quality, then the onus is on them to demonstrate the rigour they have applied in order to arrive at that decision. Part of that I would think must be a preparedness justify themselves if that decision subsequently proves flawed. They have clearly not done this in the past ... trials assessed by reading only the abstracts being one of the most glaring lack of rigour. But this time around for ME ... they must surely realise they really do need to get their sh*t together.