1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Walk a mile in my shoes: trying on CWTCH's chronic illness symptom suit

Discussion in 'Advocacy Projects and Campaigns' started by Andy, Dec 10, 2018.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

https://www.westerntelegraph.co.uk/...rying-on-cwtchs-chronic-illness-symptom-suit/

2. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"Wearing the symptom suit was eye-opening, but I was glad I could step away from it and felt grateful I didn’t have to live through this experience every day."

"I couldn’t imagine what it would be like waking up in the morning and not knowing if today was a good day, where I would be able to go about my life with only inconveniences, or a bad day, where getting out of bed was nigh-on impossible, all while living with constant strains and feelings niggling you with every move you make."

the charity behind the initiative
    http://cwtch-pembrokeshire.wales/

eta:
    "
    Walk In My Shoes” is a campaign devised by member of CWTCH (Pembrokeshire) to inform people about chronic health conditions and the symptoms you can’t always see.

Our members have reported to us that in order to fit in with friends, family and society in general, they most often try and hide their pain and symptoms so that it isn’t visible to everyone, they do this because it is a way of coping. Younger adults in particular have said that they have lost friends which is detrimental to their psychological well-being and doesn’t help them in their day-to day struggles.

Last year we launched our professionally made #symptomsuit, so we could show people some of the symptoms our members live with on a day to day basis. Living with a chronic health condition is a struggle, which is made even more complicated when you have invisible symptoms or rather symptoms you can’t always see."

andypants, Snowdrop, Trish and 3 others like this.
  3. ScottTriGuy

ScottTriGuy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

How great would it be if policy makers were made to wear the suit for a day.

But to make the experience even more real, they should be induced with nausea, pain and cognitive impairment...while being told by physicians that they don't really feel sick, pain, fatigue, fogged but are just imagining it - with the subtext that the patient has weak character / mind and thus is not deserving of proper treatment and has little human value.

andypants, EzzieD, Snowdrop and 6 others like this.
  4. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Facebook post if you want to show the Western Telegraph some love

5. ladycatlover

ladycatlover Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It would do the assessors some good to walk in our shoes too! :)