1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 22nd April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

USA Centers for Disease Control (CDC) news (including ME/CFS Stakeholder Engagement and Communication Calls) - next event 6 May 2024

Discussion in 'News from organisations' started by Sasha, Oct 24, 2017.

1. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Ironic to have Kaiser Permanente presenting. I remember they really dragged their feet for years when @Webdog was pursuing them to change their web content on ME.

Peter Trewhitt, Sean, RedFox and 3 others like this.
  2. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

But @Webdog really made a difference, and there was some substantial changes within at least part of Kaiser - see here:
    Trial By Error: Kaiser Permanente Changes Course
    I have used for advocacy a statement put out by one Kaiser doctor about how he had changed his mind on ME/CFS, it was that good.

3. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

ME/CFS-like illness following COVID-19 slides: https://www.cdc.gov/me-cfs/pdfs/21-sec-call-may-17-2023-skarbinski-mec-fs-after-covid-508.pdf

Page 12:
    Burden of ME/CFS-like illness after COVID-19 might be very large

Our study
    2,586,396 adults ×50% had COVID-19 ×1 in 200 with ME/CFS-like illness after COVID-19 =
    6,748 (95% confidence interval 1,782-11,713)

United States
    258,327,312 adults ×50% had COVID-19 ×1 in 200 with ME/CFS-like illness after COVID-19 =
    673,985 (95% confidence interval 177,985-1,169,886)

4. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

The figures for ME/CFS like illness without Covid-19 seem far too large at about 2% of their sample. They report them all having the required 4 symptoms for IOM diagnosis, but I can't help wondering how well they assessed PEM. 60% of them are working and only around 20% are unable to work due to disablity. And a large proportion are diagnosed with anxiety and/or depression. I suspect either a very skewed sampling method, or a lot of misdiagnosis. On the other hand, the percentage with ME/CFS like illness following Covid infection seem low.

5. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Here in Canada the focus on anxiety and depression came before addressing physical symptoms, once organ damage was ruled out. So dyspnoea and shortness of breath without lung damage meant that you collected an anxiety diagnosis, maybe depression as well if you cried in the dr’s office.

The in-person long-Covid clinics have pretty much shut down in my province, but they are still doing online group sessions that focus on self-management and ‘wellness’.

Medfeb, Sean, Peter Trewhitt and 3 others like this.
  6. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

From recent studies not showing those, I suspect that a large % of patients are told so in a consult, maybe put on their medical record as a note, but it seems to be rarely actually coded. Which suggests that they know it's BS, as otherwise they would code it. But most healthcare records-based studies don't have massive amounts of those, and that's the only explanation given what patients are commonly told. And of course most of the LC clinics don't record anything and many don't even have MDs on staff.

Very strongly reminds me of a recent leak of Tesla internal communications where they used coded language to talk about defects so as to avoid, you know, recording any of it. Mass distortion of medical records, both at the granular patient level and at the high-level population data. About as foolish as it gets.

It's amazing how Don't look up kind of got memory-holed, even as we are living multiple versions of the same.

bobbler and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  7. cfsandmore

cfsandmore Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The cdc has on their website, 90% of pwME hasn’t been diagnosed. 90%!!! Sometimes I feel like us pwME deal with lots of hyperbole from the researchers and government agencies.

Sean, Peter Trewhitt and Trish like this.
  8. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A CDC random digit prevalence study in the 2000s found only 16% had been diagnosed.
    A Jason et al random digit prevalence study published in 1999 found only 9% had been diagnosed.

Milo, Wyva, Art Vandelay and 2 others like this.
  9. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Don't know if that 90% stat is correct, but would not surprise me if it was.

I suspect ME, especially so called mild-moderate, is going to turn out to be quite common and the primary explanation of a lot of stuff currently labeled something else.

10. Dolphin

Also a fairly recent Leonard Jason study found less than 5% of children had been diagnosed.

ahimsa, Milo, NelliePledge and 2 others like this.
  11. Milo

Not a hyperbole at all. if you think about it, a majority of doctors are not aware of what is Me and how to diagnose it properly. Then there is a wide range of severity which means that those who can still work but struggle are most often missed by the medical system, and offered more general advices such as eat better, sleep better, exercise more and/ or lose weight. The patients who are uninsured, poor and uneducated and those who are visible minorities, immigrants,may not even access health care and when they do may have poorer care.

cfsandmore, RedFox, ahimsa and 2 others like this.
  12. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Diagnosed with depression, anxiety etc etc

I quote from the GP I first discussed a CFS diagnosis when I first discovered this possibility. “ We don’t like to give that diagnosis it is better to treat the symptoms.”

RedFox, Milo, ahimsa and 5 others like this.
  13. Dolphin

Other misdiagnoses/incomplete diagnoses might include:

Fibromyalgia, Migraine, chronic pain, IBS, back pain, maybe (misdiagnosed) Lyme & other-tickborne infections if get questionable private tests, glandular fever, etc.

cfsandmore, RedFox, Milo and 4 others like this.
  14. Milo

And then the FND diagnosis and similar travesties.

15. duncan

duncan Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Good point.

In the US, which tests for "Lyme & other-tickborne infections" are: a) unquestionable, and b) not private?

Also, I'm unclear whether, when you write "misdiagnosed", that would include undiagnosed.

Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  16. Laurie P

Laurie P Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Evaluating and Supporting Patients with Long COVID in Returning to Work

https://emergency.cdc.gov/coca/calls/2023/callinfo_061523.asp

Transcript
    https://emergency.cdc.gov/coca/ppt/2023/061523_transcipt.pdf

Slides
    https://emergency.cdc.gov/coca/ppt/2023/slides_061523.pdf

Greg Vanichkachorn, MD, MPH, FACOEM
    Occupational and Aerospace Medicine Physician
    Medical Director, Mayo Clinic COVID Activity Rehabilitation Program
    Mayo Clinic

https://www.mayoclinic.org/biographies/vanichkachorn-greg-m-d-m-p-h/bio-20470118
    Yesterday I quickly skimmed the slides and randomly started listening to a few minutes of the video and just happened to listen to the sections that I quoted above. The transcript wasn't posted yet, I was too sick to post the links here and I had to sleep (I have sleep reversal).

I just got up and came back to this webinar to listen to more of the video and post the information here. For some reason the video is now a different video, even though it has the same name of what it was and is supposed to be. I have no idea what is going on at the CDC. The transcript is now posted though and the slides are still posted.

Since they changed the video and I'm too sick to read more of the transcript, I can't do anymore.

Edited to add:

Last edited: Jun 17, 2023
    Hutan, Sly Saint, Sean and 6 others like this.
  17. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

That's awful. They are describing GET and calling it pacing.

Hutan, bobbler, Sean and 7 others like this.
  18. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not a damn clue. Not even one. There appears to be a complete inability to process what's in front of them. They're content with taking credit for natural recoveries and letting everyone else, being a minority, to rot. Once patients are out of their clinics, we just cease to exist as real human beings, out of sight, out of mind. And that's for the tiny few who ever get to one. Appalling.

19. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

That. Is. Not. Pacing.

Incompetence, or brazen dishonesty? Coz they are the only options on the table now.

20. Laurie P

Laurie P Senior Member (Voting Rights)

New CDC Director, Mandy Cohen, was sworn in on July 10th.

New CDC director brings health care, public health experience to agency facing aftermath of pandemic
    https://www.cnn.com/2023/07/11/health/cdc-director-mandy-cohen/index.html

In N.C., Mandy Cohen built bridges to GOP. Can she find consensus as new CDC director?
    https://www.statnews.com/2023/07/14/mandy-cohen-cdc-director-republicans/

RedFox, Hutan, cfsandmore and 2 others like this.