1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

USA: “Movie About M.E." and "Banner for Awareness" (formerly "One Name Campaign")

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Sly Saint, Jun 9, 2023.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Date & Time : Fri, Jun 16 5:00 PM - 7:00 PM

**Events may have been canceled or postponed. Please contact the venue to confirm the event.

https://www.independent.com/events/movie-screening-movie-about-m-e-long-covid-event/

Peter Trewhitt, RedFox, shak8 and 2 others like this.
  2. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The film sounds like it could be interesting.

But, I don't like the idea of lumping all the conditions into one name. We need to know a lot more about each of them before we consider anything like that.

Ash, Ben H, Simon M and 12 others like this.
  3. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

me too I dont want to be lumped together, we already got enough trouble being lumped into FND/MUS CF etc, i dont think helping them with that process will be good for us

4. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I think it depends what lumping is for. For research I think they should be seen as separate groups, though some intergroup comparisons of biological findings might be helpful.

I think lumping could be useful for things like advocacy for research funding and for access to medical care and disability payments. Also for sharing information about management of key symptoms such as PEM when they occur in more than one condition.

I agree they shouldn't be lumped under one name unless and until biomedical proof that they are variations of the same disease. We already have enough problem with the psychosomatic cheerleaders lumping us under MUS, FND, SSD etc.

Ash, Ben H, Dx Revision Watch and 8 others like this.
  5. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes.

Ash, Dx Revision Watch, JemPD and 3 others like this.
  6. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Working together seems like a good way to achieve more political power, which we desperately need.

But having one name for all of these conditions sounds like a recipe for disaster.

7. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I went to the movie website to learn more. It's a little wonky in places.

I had trouble viewing the "about MOVIE" page:
    https://www.movieaboutme.com/about-movie

I tried two different browsers. In both cases the text and image were shifted left, but no scrollbar, no way to see it.

So in case anyone has the same problem, here's the text from that page:
    Also, there seems to be a typo, should be "satirical documentary" not "satyrical documentary."

Ash, Dx Revision Watch, Hutan and 3 others like this.
  8. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hutan and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  9. CRG

CRG Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oh - I was hoping for this:
    [​IMG]
    The Two Satyrs' Giclee Print - Peter Paul Rubens |

10. Dx Revision Watch

Dx Revision Watch Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Merged thread

So what do we think of this initiative that is supported by SOLVE M.E.?

Other considerations aside, you can call these diseases/disorders whatever you like, but if your term does not have an ICD-10-CM code, your provider ain't going to be able to bill for it.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1686407179060789248

YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9UYPBa4ba0

The One Name Campaign official launch event in Santa Barbara, California featuring guest speakers: Michael Bowker (Journalist & Author), Chesley Heymsfield (Campaign & Documentary Director), Das Williams (Santa Barbara County Supervisor), Mouhanad Hammami, MD, MHSA (Public Health Director, Santa Barbara County), Dr. Joseph P. Smith (Atlas Health) and Oved Amitay (CEO, Solve ME)

[Note: Comments are turned off for this video]

[Edited to correct misassumption that this is SOLVE M.E. initiative.]

Last edited: Aug 6, 2023
  11. Dx Revision Watch

Note: this YouTube is 46.27mins long and I have not had the time yet, today, to watch it.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2023
    alktipping and Kitty like this.
  12. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I understand why they want to do this, but even if it attracted support from heavyweight governmental organisations, it would take years to implement internationally. In the meantime we could well discover more about what causes these illnesses, which would probably mean starting the process over again. Given that a lot more money is being put into research as the result of the pandemic, it feels like the wrong time.

Let's campaign instead for the taxpayer's dollar to go only into biomedical research, and not into BPS hoodoo.

13. cfsandmore

cfsandmore Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It’s a waste of energy from the people who gave us, CFIDS Association of America aka Solve CFS aka Solve ME/CFS.

14. Dx Revision Watch

https://www.montecitojournal.net/20...rt-of-the-making-of-the-one-name-documentary/

Santa Barbara Is Invited to Be Part of the Making of the ‘One Name’ Documentary
    BY MONTECITO JOURNAL | JUNE 20, 2023

...Amitay is a powerful patient advocate and is firmly behind the move to rename some of the confusing names given to autoimmune diseases. “Rebranding these diseases so people and doctors can understand them better will be helpful and provide hope,” he said. “It’s going to be a terrific discussion.”

Colleen Steckel and Kitty like this.
  15. Dx Revision Watch

Can't find a summary of this initiative on the SOLVE M.E. site or on their Facebook - only the long YouTube.

Colleen Steckel, alktipping and Kitty like this.
  16. Braganca

Braganca Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Quite worrisome nonsense spouted by the panelists especially Dr. Joseph Smith who wants to name the disease “P-60” and “really likes” neural retraining programs.

And on the movie website it really overstates the number of people who will end up with ME..
    “Scientists estimate that 1 out of 3 people who were infected with COVID-19 will go on to develop post-viral symptoms consistent with Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (M.E.).”

17. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That's going to work marvellously well in a country where the annual statement of earnings and contributions issued to all taxpayers has been known as a P60 since WWII.

Might I suggest P45 instead? For him, I mean.

18. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I agree this looks incompetent. I see nothing wrong with using the term infection-associated chronic illness to refer to this group of illnesses. The NASEM has already used it in a professional setting. We do need such a term to refer to these illnesses as a group.

But is the intent to create a name and diagnosis that is intended to replace entities like ME/CFS, long covid, post-treatment lyme disease, etc? That does not seem like a good idea because it implies an underlying assumption that these are all the same.

Also, would the patients with these other illnesses even consent? I have some doubts.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2023
  19. Dx Revision Watch

"P-60"? A term that will be meaningless to everyone other than Dr Joseph Smith.

There is so much Long Covid centric stuff on SOLVE M.E. website, I don't know why they don't just rebrand themselves as "SOLVE Long Covid".

I wonder what the Long Covid advocacy groups think of this initiative?

20. Dx Revision Watch

"infection-associated chronic illness to refer to this group of illnesses".

But not everyone with a historical diagnosis of ME can link the onset of their illness to a virus. Some consider their illness was triggered by a vaccination (often those required by nurses and other hospital staff) or following chemical insult, sheep dip, for example, or crop spraying in fields adjacent to their homes.