1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

University Times, An Unhealthy Mind can lead to an Unhealthy Brain (2019) Tadjine

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by ladycatlover, Feb 8, 2019.

1. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I mean, yes? But also: really, really no.

Lisa108, MEMarge, chrisb and 2 others like this.
  2. inox

inox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've had some luck with - stress can trigger a heart attack, but you don't start treatment with lifestyle management and reducing stress. You'll have to treat the body and the heart first.

But here the stress-theory of 'sustained arousal' is the dominant one (Wyller).

3. JaimeS

Yeah, that's the metaphor I use as well. You can call all diseases the result of 'stress' -- but mysteriously we only treat chronic illness without a cure in this particular way. Bonus points for relapsing remitting, bonus points for an illness that affects more women than men, bonus points for 'apparently neuro'.

4. Metabolically challenged

Metabolically challenged Established Member

yeaaaaah.

Mayo clinic's potentially primary expert on ME and CFS is Leslie Sim. She is a psychologist who includes "conversion disorder" as one of her 5 areas of clinical expertise, along with chronic pain, fatigue, and POTS. One of her published articles is titled, "Covert Video Monitoring in the Assessment of Medically Unexplained Symptoms in Children" (2012). Her bio indicates she is primarily a pediatric psychologist.

I suspect she is Mayo's default expert on ME and CFS because hers is the only clinician's name who pops up when using Mayo's menu system to find a doctor for "chronic fatigue syndrome.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2019
    rvallee, TiredSam, Sly Saint and 3 others like this.
  5. JaimeS

Creepy.

Well today Harvard joined the ranks of pseudoscience re: ME, but we'll see how long they stay that way. It really does read, though, like someone died in 1993 and rose from the dead in 2019 to write this, without any knowledge of the intervening time.

That has to be a term: research zombies. I like it.