1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

University Times, An Unhealthy Mind can lead to an Unhealthy Brain (2019) Tadjine

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by ladycatlover, Feb 8, 2019.

1. ladycatlover

ladycatlover Senior Member (Voting Rights)

2. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's surprising that people think this is a clever argument.

Not knowing the reason doesn't mean that one's preferred (but unproven) explanation is the right one. It's the kind of argument homeopaths sometimes make: that we should accept their explanation because science hasn't been able to explain how homeopathy works (it doesn't work).

Suffering from ME/CFS is not comparable to having a strong emotional reaction (presumably one that lasts years). This comparison is bizarre. She might be thinking of an anxiety disorder, and even then comparison is questionable.

That sounds like the repressed trauma explanation that has no scientific basis.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  3. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yikes. Even the psychosocial researchers pretend that it isn't psychosomatic. Then argue the opposite but whatever. Even Cochrane dithers, saying that being in the common mental disorders shouldn't mean that (which it does, but whatever).

Is depression even considered psychosomatic anymore?

alktipping, MEMarge, JaneL and 6 others like this.
  4. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

She really doesn't get it poor dear, does she.
    It's a bit like the girl who went into a bar and ordered a Perrier and water.

5. BurnA

BurnA Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm from Ireland, but I'll follow up! :)

(it's a actually quite funny to hear the term Éire, because nobody in Ireland ever calls it that, except if we were speaking Irish, which we never do, despite it being our national language, but I digress ..)

6. large donner

large donner Guest

I think I know this girl she doesn't have ice in it because she doesn't want to dilute it.

7. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well, your postage stamps say Eire. So the mailman knows where that is. :)

8. large donner

large donner Guest

:rolleyes:

9. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Psychosomatic infection. Now that's a new one. Quite a symptom, I guess.

10. Andy

Andy Committee Member

11. inox

inox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's a very nice letter, and I hope it makes an impact, beeing a student newspaper it might.

But for the 'true belivers' of ME=psycosomatic, all those studies is just proof how powerfull the mind is in inducing actual symptoms and change in the body :-/

12. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, it's pretty impervious to logic when your claim is that any change in the body is due to changes in thoughts and feelings. It's unprovable and therefore, according to them, unassailable.

13. JaimeS

I see that a correction has been issued.

Edit:

Weaksauce, "all sides" narrative replacing original comment.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  14. large donner

large donner Guest

FFS! why use Mayo Clinic as a wishy washy source when officially the WHO ICD, the DOH, the DWP, CDC etc etc list ME officially as a neurological disease.

They have also missed the point that the whole article relied on ME being a psychosomatic illness in order to justify the rest of the incorrect spurious claims in the article.

The only correction that should be issued is a full retraction of the article, its even more pointless now.

Its like saying in our previous article we incorrectly described Epilepsy being caused by demonic possession we built a whole paradigm of stupidity into the article.

Correction: according to some faith groups the true cause of Epilepsy is unknown there are many theories including it being a neurological disease or caused by demonic possession.

This is where the authors nativity is so apparent when she made the comparison to shaky hands before giving a speech.

Using the example of a friend with ME she claims to have who backed up her psychosomatic claim would be like finding a friend who claims that his Epilepsy is caused by demonic possession.

I'm pretty sure there are "several theories" banded around about being gay or, jewish or brain size of different races etc, does it mean they stand up to scrutiny?

Surely the job of a journalist, be it a student or not, is to investigate such claims and present them with the so called evidence.

In a previous version of our article about Scotland declaring independence from Mexico we wrongly identified Scotland as being on the mainland americas and under the justification of the Mexican government.

However the rest of our article still stands to inform people about whether Scotland should declare its independence from Mexico.

I see this piece still stands in the article....

Infection is still a symptom and it also psychosomatic according to this article. Apart from that the rest of the statement is troubling as it is based on the belief that "yet there is no biological driver for these symptoms".

The actual truth here is there may be no known cause, an unidentified one or simply just an under investigated one or bad diagnosis.

Its clear the author did zero investigation into the subject matter of the article and has no understanding of journalism.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  15. JaimeS

Because it's literally the only big US source that props up this narrative anymore? I'm guessing that's why.

yeaaaaah.

PLEASE make a similar comment to the uni. :laugh::rofl::rofl::rofl::trophy@

16. large donner

large donner Guest

I was actually going to send them a link to my whole post but I am not that social media savvy. If some one can link them to my whole post in full they have my permission.

17. JaimeS

If there's hysterical edema, why not psychosomatic infection?

18. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Now you're just having a laugh.

19. large donner

large donner Guest

Lets keep plugging away until the article is just a blank page with a correction at the bottom that reads:

In previous versions of this article we made dubious claims to the extent that we had to make corrections reducing the original articles down bit by bit.

Curently we have left the page blank so that our understanding reflects the reality of our previous claims.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    Amw66, MEMarge, ladycatlover and 11 others like this.
  20. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

looking on the bright side it was not a thesis paper taken up by certain people to beat all those people with difficult to treat illnesses into submission. but it does bring to light the gaping holes in our education systems .

MEMarge, ladycatlover, Andy and 3 others like this.