1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Harvard's "med" and "ed" is an actual disgrace

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by JaimeS, Feb 16, 2019.

1. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member (Voting Rights)

[​IMG]

Apparently, Harvard just released a medical education module that is anything but.

USAWG already has ahold of it and so does #MEAction but I haven't yet seen it mentioned here.

The title is 'Understanding Chronic Fatigue Syndrome', but if that's something you're interested in you should likely go elsewhere.

Link: https://www.health.harvard.edu/prom...ations/understanding-chronic-fatigue-syndrome

One advocate chose the following quotes just to give us all a taster of what's inside the box:

Yes, folks, the act now is important because the course is available for the low, low price of $14.99!

(I half expected to see that if you act now you can order TWO courses that minimize a life-changing illness and you "just pay shipping and handling".)

[EDIT: Oh gosh they GO THERE.

upload_2019-2-15_18-47-31.png ]

Just astounding.

Seriously?! Are we still onto ME is caused by "thoughts"? :mad:

The content also lapses, calling CFS "chronic fatigue" and implying that the disease is, in fact, solely long-lasting fatigue. Even Fukuda isn't just that.

But why bother with facts where there's a buck to be made? Am I right or am I right?

2. duncan

duncan Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Surprised? Really?

History does repeat itself if you only bother to look.

All of you who are looking to the predictable Ivies or such. or NIH or CDC to fix your problems: Take note.

MEMarge, Sisyphus, shak8 and 2 others like this.
  3. JaimeS

What you're seeing is outrage, not surprise.

Additionally, considering the scope of the work that must be done, private industry doesn't have the wherewithal or desire to pick up the slack. That's why advocacy matters: we have to continue fighting for the gains that we are making, and we have to rally when we drop behind.

The idea that my outrage is due to a wellspring of faith in the American medical system would be a misinterpretation.

feeb, sea, MEMarge and 19 others like this.
  4. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is there any ethics boards that have jurisdiction here?

5. inox

inox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What....??!

Is that a hoax? Some sort of social experiment...? 'how desperate are patients to buy into anything - especially with flashy marketing' That's the only way I can make sense of that page.

Harvard on top, but the rest of it screams out SCAM...! The page have every marker of alternative therapy marketing (well, minus patients stories). Even a big, flashy red 'buy now'-button marked - "Act now! There is real hope and help."

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
  6. JaimeS

I have always read stuff like this as meaning "scam cures for a disease that's a sham". The more they believe the illness is just 'people wanting attention' or 'focusing on widely-experienced sensations' or 'due to lots of overwork' the more ridiculous the proposed intervention.

A scale, where the Lightning Process is allll the way up to the top.

7. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wonder whether Dr Komaroff could look into it. This is quite distressing.

8. inox

Here's a more detailed description of what they are selling - "Understandig Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - a bit less flashy, ut no less disturbing.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/diseases-and-conditions/understanding-chronic-fatigue-syndrome

But that's not in your guidelines for treatment, GET? Cause for official complaint?

And Harvard promoting chiropractic and acupuncture....?

edit: moved a sentence to above quote, (hopefully) making the post/my point more clear :)

9. inox

About the other e-book - "Boosting your energy":

https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/boosting-your-energy

From the 'exerpt' - a chapter about "Energy and exercise":

Not for ME-people.... :-/ Doing more takes away my sleep first of all.

10. JaimeS

I don't think that's grounds for complaint. There are numerous studies showing acupuncture helps with pain... we wouldn't get far arguing against things only because they're outside the mainstream.

Waaait, I remember this. I could never access the full text...

That one lists CFS as a "disease that causes fatigue" so there's the acknowledgement that fatigue is ONE symptom amongst many that contribute to CFS.

11. inox

Oh, no that was an additional stray thought - and agree.

I ment the bit about "gradually increasing exercise levels." Sorry, I see my post was less than clear.

Edit: But also for CBT - wasn't there a US official report finding no/very little support for it, and GET?

12. JaimeS

Yes -- AHRQ.

MEMarge, WillowJ, DokaGirl and 2 others like this.
  13. JaimeS

Hey, everyone. I have word from a couple of sources that Ron Tompkins and WenZhong Xiao, both of Harvard, are on the case.

[Edit: And I've introduced Mike to Wenzhong via email in case he wants 'in'... and just got a response. They totally do already know each other!]

MEMarge, Chezboo, Keebird and 24 others like this.
  14. Andy

Andy Committee Member

So they are Acting Now! ;) Good to hear.

TigerLilea, ahimsa, Keebird and 11 others like this.
  15. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

I'm having trouble believing this is from Harvard. For one thing, they don't seem to be able to spell:

MEMarge, Keebird, MSEsperanza and 9 others like this.
  16. JaimeS

It was not well-considered to begin with I guess.

We've seen so much crappiness over the years that my knee-jerk response is really to be infuriated and tired like... we have to fight a lot of the same battles over and over again. I can only imagine how people feel who've been at this for decades.

But it's also really embarrassing to have a place like Harvard publish something like this, and trying to make a buck off of the name 'Harvard'. It's like an Ivy League transforming into Dr Oz before one's very eyes. Cringeworthy.

And really unethical to sell this bad advice to people who're sick and may feel like they have no recourse but to try everything put before them. We all know how pressured we are to keep trying/doing or else we "don't want to be well". I can see a new patient buying this and really thinking it's going to help...

Okay, back to being outraged.

I'd better read the thing so that I know how bad it is, too. I'll check and see if anyone has purchased it.

Let's not make it more than one of us, okay?

MEMarge, Chezboo, Sisyphus and 18 others like this.
  17. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Maybe Harvard should be informed that even the UK House of Commons has just voted to drop CBT and GET.

MEMarge, ahimsa, Keebird and 17 others like this.
  18. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Can we actually claim that? I'm too tired to search for the full details of what was voted on right now but I don't remember wording being specific enough for us to be able to claim they voted to drop CBT and GET.

MEMarge and JaimeS like this.
  19. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

my bolding

MEMarge, ahimsa, alktipping and 17 others like this.
  20. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Oh, cool, thanks. Think that must show how frazzled I was that day trying to keep on top of the social media side of things. :)

MEMarge, Gecko, JaimeS and 5 others like this.