1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

University of Bristol - flyer for CFS/ME Research Nov 2018

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Sly Saint, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

2. ScottTriGuy

ScottTriGuy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Tuskegee syphilis experiment, Stanford prison experiment, etc and now we can soon add the Bristol child experiment to the long infamous list of harm-inducing 'research'.

History will not remember Crawley kindly.

3. Rick Sanchez

Rick Sanchez Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A study on whether teenagers have mood problems? Would be like studying whether monkeys have tails.

TiredSam, Amw66, MEMarge and 12 others like this.
  4. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wouldn't it be more informative to study children and adolescents with ME who do not have mood problems, as identifying how they cope with a major disabling condition might give ideas of how to support all those who reasonablely struggle with such a condition whilst being misunderstood by medical professionals and pressured into potentially harmful treatments?

TiredSam, obeat, ScottTriGuy and 7 others like this.
  5. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I wonder whether they study mood and mental health problems in children with other chronic disabling physical illnesses too.

TiredSam, MEMarge, EzzieD and 8 others like this.
  6. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

But that risks undermining the researchers belief system. They would not want to risk demonstrating any mood issues were a normal response to a major disabling condition. Also it is dangerously heading towards an adequate experimental design with actual control groups and things like that.

TiredSam, fivetowns, MEMarge and 9 others like this.