United Kingdom: ME Association news

Discussion in 'News from organisations' started by Peter Trewhitt, Feb 8, 2021.

1. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So sorry you had this experience with him Ariel.
    A longstanding friend of mine, with ME saw about 25 years ago, also privately. He told her she was "not fit to be a mother". She had a toddler at the time.

rainy, Sarah94, cfsandmore and 21 others like this.
  2. Ariel

Ariel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank-you. Unfortunately that does not surprise me. Someone should collect these stories and send them to the MEA. I hope people no longer support them if they do not withdraw this appointment. It is too much. I remain horrified.

rainy, Sarah94, cfsandmore and 16 others like this.
  3. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Does anyone here have the stamina/capacity to put some of this into an email that any of us who would like to, could sign as "concerned members" of the forum.

I may be able to cc it to one of the Trustees.

Apparently, one of the Colleges complaints re the Guidelines is that EC is researching the Lightning Process, so appointing Findlay who used to recommend it is going to have the BPSers cheering!

4. Ariel

This is the justification from CS being given on Facebook in response to questions about Findley's role in GET and CBT:

"As I have now said on several occasions Prof Findley is the only UK neurologist to sign the letter to NICE which calls for publication and implementation of the new NICE guideline on ME/CFS. The new guideline has abandoned the recommendation that people with ME/CFS should be treated with CBT and GET.
    Dr CS MEA"

This attitude is appalling. "As I have now said on several occasions"? Is he impatient with the stories of patient harm?

I am sharing because this idea that we should be okay with someone who harmed patients in gratuitous, cruel ways being patron of the MEA just because nobody else is around standing up for us - and dragging out his "neurologist" credentials again - is a classic abuse pattern. Nobody else will help you!

You see the same in the positive stories about Findley. Everyone else is so appalling to ME patients that him saying "I believe you" etc is such a relief that people think he's wonderful in contrast to everyone else. You can do anything after that.

I am sorry that this is poorly expressed, I am not feeling great. xx

Oni, rainy, Sarah94 and 21 others like this.
  5. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

This is a public thread. I am sure someone at the MEA will be aware of it by now. But I agree the MEA trustees should be alerted to it directly if anyone wants to do so.

6. Trish

:hug::hug::hug:
    Thank you for sharing your experiences. I am so sorry this situation is so traumatic for you and others who have been treated badly.

7. Ariel

Thank-you @Trish :heart: - to be honest seeing the replies from the MEA has really compounded the trauma.

I really suggest they sort out their communications and don't treat patients - and people relaying stories of abuse - like this.
    It is like a parody of how an organization should behave.

rainy, Sarah94, cfsandmore and 19 others like this.
  8. Suffolkres

Suffolkres Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Case of leopard ( or canny wolf) changing his spots?

9. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

Anyone who takes an idealogical approach to medicine which depends upon ignoring and denigrating patients, and doesn't pause to reflect that their professional life now consists of being rude and abusive to those patients on a daily basis, has no place in medicine, let alone a patient support organisation.

The BPS approach, LP, GET, all of this quackery only "works" if the patients voice is completely ignored, not only by the doctor, but the treatments also consist of brainwashing the patients to ignore themselves. And if they don't, they are responsible for their own condition, and the doctor can wash their hands of them, or in the case of particularly manipulative and vindictive doctors, diagnose children with "pervasive refusal syndrome", even though it is purportedly every patient's right to refuse treatment. And those who dare to refuse treatment on a child's behalf are threatened with having their kids removed in secret proceedings or diagnosed with Munchhausen's by Proxy or whatever the flavour of the month is.

We have got so used to all this crap that we sometimes forget how completely sick it is. Any decent human being hearing about such a system could only react in horror, revulsion and disbelief. It's the disbelief that's the problem, just trying to inform someone makes you sound like a paranoid nutter, which by sheer coincidence ties in nicely with the militant patient activist narrative which has been carefully crafted and publicised by those same doctors who are supposed to be and claim to be supporting us.

And now one of the most patronising examples is being officially invited to be our patron? Has the MEA lost sight of how completely sick the whole system is?

rainy, Sarah94, cfsandmore and 35 others like this.
  10. TiredSam

How quickly the habit of ignoring patients' voices spreads, once you invite people into your organisation who have always behaved that way.

Arnie Pye, rainy, Sarah94 and 19 others like this.
  11. Trish

12. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What a succinct summary of how we are completely stitched up.
    Would you mind if i printed that off & used it personally @TiredSam ? Its just a good aide memoire of the situation - was trying to explain to new carer recently & got lost in the details.

No prob if you not comfortable with that of course

Last edited: Oct 8, 2021
    Daisy, Daisymay, alktipping and 4 others like this.
  13. TiredSam

Fine with me, although it might not be to everybody's taste, and may come across as the paranoid ravings of a lunatic to anybody outside our circle. Let me know what reaction it gets :)

Daisy, alktipping, Simbindi and 5 others like this.
  14. Joan Crawford

Joan Crawford Senior Member (Voting Rights)

100% agree. What unpleasant and rude behaviour. Unbecoming

rainy, cfsandmore, Daisy and 12 others like this.
  15. Dx Revision Watch

Dx Revision Watch Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Blimey!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2021
  16. Dx Revision Watch

I don't know, but I would imagine this was a Board of Trustees' decision.

Thing is, the ME Association is a membership org. The BoT exists only to serve the memberships' best interests.

Why was this not put out for membership consultation?

In the past, the MEA has held membership postal votes for diverse topics such as whether the name of the organisation should be changed to the Myalgic Encephalopathy Association; whether the MEA should adopt the Canadian Criteria; and whether certain clauses in the Association's Mem & Arts should be redrafted in order that the Board can filter out any nominees for standing in Trustee elections that they don't fancy as potential Board members and that before an individual can have their name put forward for Trustee elections, they must first be accepted as a member of the Association (whereas prior to this change, individuals did not need to become members before being voted onto the Board but were expected to become members after successful election).

Were I a member of the MEA, I would have wanted to have been consulted.

Arnie Pye, rainy, Sarah94 and 16 others like this.
  17. Dx Revision Watch

The membership should request a copy of the Members List (under the Companies Act they have a legal right to obtain this list). Then exercise their right, as Members of the Association, to call an EGM to discuss this appointment.

18. Annie

Annie Established Member (Voting Rights)

β€˜It was professor Findlay who told me not to join any charity groups or attend any support groups or look up my illness on the internet!!!!! Why would he want to be a patron?’
    The above was posted on the ME Association thread on Twitter. It seems to sum the situation up perfectly.
    The arrogance of the response by the MEA on the Facebook page is appalling. They are simply ignoring the heartfelt pleas of the most vulnerable amongst us, patients who have paid for them to represent our best interests.

rainy, Sarah94, cfsandmore and 21 others like this.
  19. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That's a reflection of how dysfunctional the system is, there is no need to grovel to the few people who aren't 100% wrong. There is no middle ground between reality and delusion, either we stick to reality or nothing matters.

rainy, cfsandmore, Daisy and 9 others like this.
  20. Dx Revision Watch

More from Findley:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/youandyours/transcripts_2007_31_mon_02.shtml

You and Yours - Transcript
    BBC Radio 4

TX: 30.07.07 – ME: The Lightning Process

PRESENTER: PETER WHITE

THE ATTACHED TRANSCRIPT WAS TYPED FROM A RECORDING AND NOT COPIED FROM AN ORIGINAL SCRIPT. BECAUSE OF THE RISK OF MISHEARING AND THE DIFFICULTY IN SOME CASES OF IDENTIFYING INDIVIDUAL SPEAKERS, THE BBC CANNOT VOUCH FOR ITS COMPLETE ACCURACY.
    -----------------------

Note that the presenter is Peter White, a BBC presenter and journalist.

(...)

FINDLEY
    Well there are many things in medicine we don't know why they work but we still use them. The fact is that we're just doing pilot studies, we're at the very beginning of exploring this form of treatment. But this is one of many treatments. People with chronic fatigue syndrome, ME, are manageable, they can be treated and what you do is look for the symptoms which are perpetuating that illness. It may be pain, it may be sleep disturbances, it may be auto-psychological states, it may be allergies. Now on a 10 minute programme it's impossible to go through every single treatment which is used for individuals because this is a huge area of medical dysfunction. But you treat that person as an individual, looking for the factors which are perpetuating in there.

(...)

rainy, ladycatlover, Daisy and 10 others like this.