1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

UK NICE 2021 ME/CFS Guideline, published 29th October - post-publication discussion

Discussion in '2020 UK NICE ME/CFS Guideline' started by Science For ME, Oct 28, 2021.

1. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Had hoped that the NICE website would have been updated at one minute after midnight, but I guess we will have to wait for the resumption of office hours in the morning.

Disappointing press response so far, given they generally seem to fail to grasp the main points that ME is more than just fatigue, but an abnormal response to exercise characterises the illness and that any exertion can often be harmful. Hopefully there will be some reporting by people that actually attempt to understand the issues in the next few days.

At least the SMC present a more balanced approach than might have been expected, though they continue to allow the Chalders and the Sharpes to persist in total denial. I guess they will continue asserting GET/CBT will cure us till they actually retire in reality and not as PR stunts.

[corrected some typos]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2021
    Kiristar, alktipping, EzzieD and 18 others like this.
  2. Kirsten

Kirsten Established Member (Voting Rights)

i think it's up!

3. Fainbrog

Fainbrog Senior Member (Voting Rights)

4. Keela Too

Keela Too Senior Member (Voting Rights)

But weirdly CG53 is still up

5. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I was too impatient, it was published not one minute after midnight British Summer Time, but rather one minute after midnight Greenwich Mean Time (or for those of us more or less on the Greenwich meridian God’s time).

6. Wits_End

Wits_End Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It is indeed: "Published: 29 October 2021"

HALLELUJAH!!

alktipping, Lilas, EzzieD and 19 others like this.
  7. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This does of course mean that now someone has to read it.

Given there are 250,000 of us I think we should divide the work - I'll take the 3rd word on each page.

Report back to merge results in a month?

:rofl:

Moosie, alktipping, Lilas and 36 others like this.
  8. yME

yME Established Member (Voting Rights)

From box 2
    • Debilitating fatigue that is worsened by activity, is not caused by excessive cognitive, physical, emotional or social exertion, and is not significantly relieved by rest.

should that read is caused ?

9. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Chalder and White just looking like sour grapes, churning out same tripe. Miller subverting the new guidance already.

They still blinkered about their so called evidence, need to be sat down to watch Graham’s videos for their education!!

alktipping, Lilas, EzzieD and 24 others like this.
  10. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

No.

They mean that we get symptoms without (not caused by) excessive activity in any of those domains.

Of course their usage of 'fatigue' to describe these symptoms is far from ideal.

11. Wits_End

Wits_End Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm knackered, and off to bed. Don't stay up too long celebrating, for those of you for whom that's even vaguely an option :)

12. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Ugh.

presumably they have a list of post publication tasks. I would have thought taking a superceded guideline down was a fairly routine task but maybe there’s more to it with repointing links and so on so they will do it in normal working hours.

Invisible Woman, Joh, Ariel and 4 others like this.
  13. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I concur. Carry on.

14. Nightsong

Nightsong Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The minutes of the Round Table are also there, and I have a concern as to NICE's take on CBT (emphasis mine):

"In the main, what is being delivered matches what the guideline recommends." (!)

"NICE explained that the wording in the guideline reflects the change in emphasis of the recommendations on CBT. That is, it may be beneficial for symptom relief rather than as a cure for ME/CFS. . ."

Just skimming at random: RCPsych's falsely claimed that the London criteria mandated PEM (the committee set them right on that point). And this comment: "We contend that a Committee that remained in equipoise..." - I wonder who wrote that? RCP London's stakeholder response specifically attacks @Jonathan Edwards (pp696-697)! Some of the stakeholder comments are horrific.

This is extraordinary. Utterly extraordinary. I have no words.

alktipping, Lilas, EzzieD and 23 others like this.
  15. Simbindi

Simbindi Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I can see the need for a book to be written about this whole process and what it has exposed. There's way too much there for just a series of articles.

Wits_End, alktipping, Hutan and 24 others like this.
  16. Simbindi

Simbindi Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have an emergency dental appointment for a broken tooth at 9.30am tomorrow (the time of day I am usually asleep). So I wouldn't have been able to sleep tonight anyway. At least all this reading is taking my mind off the dentist appointment!

Wits_End, alktipping, Lilas and 17 others like this.
  17. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

18. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

19. Tilly

Tilly Senior Member (Voting Rights)

He needs to be reported for already going against the NICE guidelines and as he runs a centre that NICE say patients should go to and DO NO HARM most definitely needs a slap with a wet cold fish. I have one ready

Louie41, alktipping, Joel and 19 others like this.
  20. Tilly

Tilly Senior Member (Voting Rights)

We can only keep pointing out they they do not recognise PEM and the impact on what Baroness Finlay called disordered energy metabolism. If someone who has not worked with or researched ME can see issues then someone who has for decades is doing something wrong.

alktipping, EzzieD, Kirsten and 10 others like this.