1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Trisha Greenhalgh on ME/CFS and Long Covid

Discussion in 'UK clinics and doctors' started by Helene, Jan 13, 2021.

1. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited: Oct 25, 2021
    cfsandmore, EzzieD, Sean and 10 others like this.
  2. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Could well be.

Ironically, the evidence based medicine at NICE systematically devalued randomised sort-of-controlled trials and took seriously the other kind of evidence - patients' lived experience.

It seems that she is proclaiming loud and clear that she doesn't get it. She doesn't get the way human nature influences evidence gathering.

alktipping, ukxmrv, Milo and 22 others like this.
  3. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

4. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

EBM’s other problem is quality. A lot of the time
    the data in a paper simply do not match the conclusions
    yet the conclusions are what get cited.

Not sure that is a problem for EBM though. NICE cited the data quality and ignored the conclusions.
    A bit like saying the problem with using rulers is that they are not always accurate to a nanometer or that people do not put them on straight.

alktipping, bobbler, Milo and 6 others like this.
  5. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Maybe this is going to be the BPS angle in response to the new NICE guideline ... Our sort of evidence is better than your sort of evidence.

6. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Patient experience is an underdeveloped type of knowledge.

It could be worthwhile to study patient experience to better understand how it can be used, e.g. how to extract more reliable information from it, what kind of information it is best suited to provide, or how to discover novel information from it.

alktipping, lycaena, EzzieD and 6 others like this.
  7. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

Different kinds of evidence, alternative facts, speaking your truth ... She really doesn't get science.

alktipping, bobbler, EzzieD and 11 others like this.
  8. Sarah94

Sarah94 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I dunno, she's mostly been talking lately about measures for preventing the spread of covid. I thought she might be referring to people who make the stupid argument that "we can't recommend mask-wearing without an RCT of it".

9. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Sid, cfsandmore, tmrw and 8 others like this.
  10. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

One problem with mass blocking voices that are inconvenient to your world view is that you silence quite a broad church. Although perhaps it is better to remain ignorant in order to protect and preserve the cognitive dissonance. So many people are confused to find they are blocked, despite having never interacted with her.

Somehow I remain unblocked by TG and MS despite having very many PwME/LC in my follows.

Very poor form. (I do selectively mute or block morons and trolls although thankfully they aren't a prominent feature in my Twitter experience at all).

https://twitter.com/user/status/1518928721553543177

Amw66, Milo, Hutan and 7 others like this.
  11. It's M.E. Linda

It's M.E. Linda Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I read Dr Asad’s tweet but was unable to even view what he was commenting on because I, too, am blocked.

I have never had any interactions with Prof G, but I have ‘ME’ in my twitter name

I decided not to read the thread further a couple of days ago, but glad to just see what it was all about. Thank you @SNT Gatchaman :emoji_bouquet:

12. SNT Gatchaman

Hah! I should have also quoted in plain text - because of course many won't see it displayed here.

TG's tweet was simply: "Lockdown does not cause hepatitis" (in response to the suggestion by covid minimisers that childhood hepatitis cases were because they hadn't been exposed to enough infections during lockdown).

13. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

See, she only blocks pwME because of abuse. Only reason she blocks people, is what she says. Or do we fall under disinformation? Unfortunately, few people can ask her, being blocked and all.

It appears though that she is also blocking minimizers and other BGD types.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1525899725462978560

bobbler, EzzieD, Joh and 5 others like this.
  14. petrichor

petrichor Senior Member (Voting Rights)

She used a "mass-blocking tool", which I assume works something along the lines of mass blocking people that are all connected to eachother. https://twitter.com/user/status/1351626294509903872
    I doubt she set out to specifically block pwME, but because she blocked a few people with ME that probably meant masses of others were blocked too

Milo and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  15. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Yeah and she’s clearly not bothered about lumping everyone together. People with ME in general aren’t worth her eminence engaging with.

Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  16. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

LOL. "I'm going to continue blocking". Later on write tweet saying "Don't just block people". Amazing.

EzzieD, Ariel, Milo and 3 others like this.
  17. Andy

Andy Committee Member

18. Keela Too

Keela Too Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think she blocked far wider than just people who sent or liked abusive tweets. Pretty sure I haven’t liked anything abusive, and certainly not sent anything.

Is this another round of blocking? I was blocked in the first mass blocking episode. :(

FMMM1, Barry, Ariel and 2 others like this.
  19. SNT Gatchaman

This round is unlikely to catch anyone here.

Leila, Peter Trewhitt and Sarah94 like this.
  20. Caroline Struthers

Caroline Struthers Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think TG automatically blocks anyone who follows someone she has blocked in the past. I was blocked a long time ago and so anyone who follows me (not a huge number!) will be blocked. There is someone doing research on microclots who recently started following me (because we were at an event together), and they have been blocked. This is a hypothesis which I have not tested! Did her thread on Long Covid mention PEM at all?

Snow Leopard, FMMM1, Barry and 4 others like this.