1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Trisha Greenhalgh on ME/CFS and Long Covid

Discussion in 'UK clinics and doctors' started by Helene, Jan 13, 2021.

1. Robert 1973

Robert 1973 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is an interesting account of the opponent system in Sweden: https://scientistseessquirrel.wordp...ystem-my-experience-at-a-swedish-phd-defence/

Edit: It’s completely different to anything I’ve ever heard of with the “opponent” actually presenting the PhD candidate’s thesis.

2. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

John Mac, FMMM1, Ariel and 3 others like this.
  3. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

I think that is becoming quite common in a number of countries. I remember a couple of years ago I was working with someone doing a PhD in the UK who was given a choice of styles. I like the idea of someone writing up a longer thesis as part of the process is the realisation of how research could have been carried out better. Whereas too often the paper process is to write enough to get past reviewers.

Trish, Hutan, Simbindi and 3 others like this.
  4. Ariel

Ariel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Has anyone pushed back on TG's comments to the effect that "nobody gets long flu"? (!!!) I couldn't bear to try to follow it in real time. This shouldn't be the sort of thing someone in her position can claim and get away with? :( Sadly I saw people agreeing with her.

Sean, Simbindi, Snow Leopard and 8 others like this.
  5. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Anyone in a good, diplomatic mood to explain this in a way that can make sense in a few tweets? Or if there's an article summarizing this somewhere...

It appears to be the reason here but frankly it's hard to tell as Greenhalgh is deliberately vague, clearly considers people who disagree with her on substance to be "abusive" and explicitly lumps us with anti-science zealots so maybe this isn't even the reason but it's still important for long haulers to understand that Greenhalgh is a terrible ally to have who will ultimately hurt the cause.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1371591968296464385

Michelle, Kitty, EzzieD and 6 others like this.
  6. Ariel

I was not that diplomatic in replying to related nonsense today from NA (in relation to her defence of TG); she does not seem prepared to listen or engage with anyone who is not being ingratiating, sadly. And for all of the disingenuous claims of TG and others that they have been trolled and "abused", the above tweet by NA seems more trollish than anything I have seen thrown in the other direction.

I hope someone can write something, however; I wish NA would stop engaging in this manner, and playing the victim. Every other tweet of hers is about alleged "bullying" of female scientists, which is how she is playing this whole thing. Distasteful. It's melodramatic, employs truly perverse logic based on distortions, and undercuts some of her more sensible comments about long covid.

7. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

8. Ariel

Her responses were really good. I am genuinely moved by the poise and steadiness of so many. It gives me hope.

9. mango

mango Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Same! :)

10. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Bottom of the thread
    https://twitter.com/user/status/1371626718545383425

MEMarge, Kitty and Invisible Woman like this.
  11. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Art Vandelay, Kitty, EzzieD and 4 others like this.
  12. Ariel

I have just been reading this latest development. My mind is melting.

Perhaps someone could get TG in that case to confirm that promoting GET for Long Covid would be harmful?

Hutan, Kitty and Invisible Woman like this.
  13. rvallee

14. Ariel

The linked thread contains a bunch of people who are pointing out that she has blocked them. It's not even criticism.
    It's certainly clear that lack of sycophancy = abuse in the minds of some.

15. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

We must understand the trials that one has to go through as a Pantomime Acadameic.

'They're behind you!'

Oh no they're not!

Oh yes they are!

Then there's Widow Twankey - the washerwoman with mangled feelings.

Well, it helps to while away those Long Covid evenings.

Mithriel, MEMarge, alktipping and 5 others like this.
  16. Robert 1973

Robert 1973 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

17. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I see little chance of an actually well designed clinical trial. The risk of a reliable study producing evidence of lack of efficacy will make other people uncomfortable.

Kitty, MEMarge, alktipping and 7 others like this.
  18. rvallee

Word has literally come out, including from the recent NIHR report and the numerous programs who attempted this, that exercise rehabilitation has failed massively and most are moving on from that to pacing. Greenhalgh suggested this "RCT" (we all know it wouldn't be properly controlled so not a real RCT) straight from Garner's oddball article. There is no need for that now or at any point.

I hope long haulers who still follow Greenhalgh notice how selectively she responds, always avoiding any awkward questions, never responding to anything of substance, and only promoting the BPS mantras.

That people like Wessely and TG are "thought leaders" in medicine frankly explains everything. These people are politicians, they are terrible at their actual day job. With such mediocre leaders no system can function effectively.

19. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ariel, cfsandmore, Kitty and 3 others like this.
  20. EzzieD

EzzieD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

He also supports Phil Parker, Henrik Vogt, everyone on the BPS/LP/'positive thinking cures illness' side of things. I'm blocked by him on Twitter for some unknown reason but can see his posts if I'm not logged in. (Not really worth seeing - always the same 'mind and body are all one' stuff delivered in an authoritative manner.) From what I've heard about him, he does not work as a CFS researcher and has no pertinent qualifications. But he believes he cured himself of CFS by similar methods to LP or the CBT/GET model of CFS, and apparently thinks of himself as a researcher of such.