1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Trisha Greenhalgh on ME/CFS and Long Covid

Discussion in 'UK clinics and doctors' started by Helene, Jan 13, 2021.

1. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I suspect not too long.
    In truth the fat lady sang a while back. These are the people who play a jolly tune while everyone is leaving the theatre.

2. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

well, from the US perspective, that counts for a lot!

3. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

Didn't Wessley win that for bravely telling dangerous ME patients that CBT will make them better?

4. dave30th

Along with that, I think it also involved his related bravery involving Gulf War Illness.

5. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
    Joh, Shinygleamy, ukxmrv and 8 others like this.
  6. Sarah94

Sarah94 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is like satire. Except it's real.

Truly boggles the mind.

MEMarge, Hutan, Shinygleamy and 8 others like this.
  7. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MEMarge, Annie, Hutan and 10 others like this.
  8. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not sure if this is the best thread or if this has been shared before, but a clever friend just found that Trisha Greenhalgh was first opponent at Henrik Vogt's dissertation. I thought that was interesting to know.

It says so on the university's (NTNU) website.
    Original link in Norwegian
    google translation

ETA: This was in 2017

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
  9. Jonathan Edwards

I may have said it before but this one you really could not make up.
    What on earth does T Greenhalgh have to do with H Vogt in this universe? - clearly a naive question.
    I actually find this hard to believe. Maybe there really are aliens.

10. Ariel

Ariel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I thought I was paranoid. This is a little over the edge for me. It's hard to believe, yes!

To be honest I find this development liberating. I'll throw away my conspiracy whiteboard now.

BurnA, John Mac, Daisymay and 6 others like this.
  11. Robert 1973

Robert 1973 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

12. Jonathan Edwards

I guess the doctor may have been under talking conditions anonymity because the government that love helpers like Dr Greenhalgh may have made it difficult to speak freely. The 1 million figure was justified by some extrapolation that seemed perfectly reasonable although I personally think it is probably pessimistic. Dr Greenhalgh does not seems have indicated any great understanding of the 'LongCovid' label anyway so she is not really in a position to pass judgment.

Sid, Mithriel, cfsandmore and 11 others like this.
  13. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"Show me someone with Long Flu.....err"

I thought Sly Saint's reply to this on the Long Covid thread was an excellent point.

"how quickly they forget.........
    Yuppie Flu?"

14. dave30th

what is the role of "first opponent" on a dissertation committee? we don't have that person on dissertation committees here. Does that person pose questions and pass judgment on whether the candidates gets the doctorate? Or...?

15. Kalliope

I've never attended a PhD examination, so am not really sure. Here's how the University in Oslo describes the process and the opponents role:

Public defence
    The disputation is the public defence of the thesis. It lasts between two to three hours, and is led by the chair of the defence.

• The chair of the defence opens the public defence by making a brief presentation of the candidate and committee.
    • After the public defence is opened you deliver a 20 minute popular scientific summary of your research.
    • The first opponent is then given 75 minutes for his/her discussion, and the second opponent up to 60 minutes.
    • You finish the public defence by briefly thanking the university and the committee, whereupon the chair of the defence declares the event over.

MEMarge, Robert 1973, Helene and 4 others like this.
  16. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Quite like the fact that someone else pointed out that they have Long Epstein-Barr! :laugh: I've clocked up 45 years this year, so I'd say it's long enough.

cfsandmore, EzzieD, MEMarge and 9 others like this.
  17. Jonathan Edwards

I have been involved in EU PhDs occasionally and I think the 'opponents' act much like examiners in the UK. The presentation of the work can be more formal and public in mainland Europe. So an opponent would, as you say, interrogate the candidate on their methods, their interpretations etc. In the UK a doctoral examination normally consists of the candidate, to 'examiners (opponents) and the candidate's main supervisor, to ensure fair play (in theory). The examiners would then confer and make a decision.

MEMarge, Snow Leopard, Kitty and 5 others like this.
  18. Jonathan Edwards

That sounds a bit odd but I presume that 'discussion' means questioning the candidate as in the UK. In the UK examiners take things in turns but there is no formal pattern for this. Questioning may shift backend forth for different sections of the thesis.

I have never been involved in a public defence. What I am unclear about is whether in practice a public defence only occurs for a thesis that has been approved in advance - a sort of formal ceremony rather than an exam.

19. Kalliope

I think you are correct. My impression is also that they tend to have some mercy for the probably very nervous candidate. Would you agree?

Kitty and Invisible Woman like this.
  20. Jonathan Edwards

In my experience candidates nearly always get off lightly. A large number of poor quality theses get through. I personally think it would be much better if these were peer -reviewed on an iterative basis like papers. In some countries - I think the Netherlands especially - a thesis is expected to be a collection of a few published papers so that process has already been completed. I have always been impressed by the Dutch system.

Sid, John Mac, MEMarge and 7 others like this.