1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Editorial: Concern for Covid-19 cough, fever and impact on mental health. What about risk of Somatic Symptom Disorder? 2021, Willis & Chalder

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by John Mac, Feb 1, 2021.

1. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1080/09638237.2021.1875418

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2021
    MEMarge, Kitty, andypants and 4 others like this.
  2. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

And there we go. Blatant. These people simply can’t help themselves in applying their b s thinking to anything that moves.

Needs bringing to the attention of the Long Covid community

3. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

And how do they explain COVID deaths? What about death when one is in a medically induced coma re COVID?

4. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is why I rely on HDD's and USB flash drives instead of SSD's. ;)

5. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It appears to be an effort on the part of MUS campaigners to colonize the category of all those suffering from non-specific symptoms for more than a certain period of time after a confirmed or suspected case of Covid-19. They are planting their flag on this territory building on questionable previous research.

6. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Watch it fly

ETA I wonder if Dr Alwan (?) has seen this, or has any comprehension of what us potentially coming down the line in UK

Simbindi, Shinygleamy, Ariel and 10 others like this.
  7. It's M.E. Linda

It's M.E. Linda Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Tweeted Dr Alwan.

8. It's M.E. Linda

Does anyone please know how I can share this without giving them the ‘traffic’ of reads, or does this only apply when we are trying not to give newspaper articles the views? sorry, not ‘best brain’ available today.

Happy to share warnings of this to LC community on twitter, should I include any other evidence eg @Tom Kindlon studies??

9. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

It's even worse than I imagined. I have just waded through this drivel.

It repeats all the old stuff about 'psychological, social and behavioural factors' being implicated in causing and perpetuating 'somatic symptom disorder' in which they include CFS and long Covid. And recommends IAPT and concludes that more research of the same crappy sort they have been doing for 30 years should be done with people with long Covid.

:arghh:

10. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

11. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Simbindi, alktipping, Kitty and 7 others like this.
  12. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

alktipping, EzzieD, rvallee and 3 others like this.
  13. It's M.E. Linda

14. It's M.E. Linda

15. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That Candy study doesn't demonstrate much. It was a small study and they tend not to mention that there was no significant difference in questionnaire scores at 12 months (the control group just got a leaflet telling then about EBV).

[​IMG]

More info here: https://www.s4me.info/threads/2003-...in-infectious-mononucleosis.8644/#post-152392

16. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They can't even provide any evidence that this is of any use beyond the fact that people, mostly themselves, have been using it. It's the same recycled drivel they have been saying for 3 decades. Completely unchanged. I especially love that they quote this: “excessive, disproportionate or maladaptive”.

Who are they quoting? Themselves. And a judgment call that no human being has the ability to do. They are claiming mind-reading abilities.

As usual it's not that someone says anything this stupid, it's that it gets published and discussed, albeit superficially, by people who genuinely want to apply astrology-level nonsense in real life.

If there were justice in the world, these people would be sentenced to punishment based on a wheel spin. Just completely arbitrary and ideally built for maximum ironic cruelty.

Simbindi, Shinygleamy, Ariel and 4 others like this.
  17. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Moved from the long Covid thread

Trial By Error: New Biopsychosocial Paper on Long-Covid and Somatic Symptom Disorder
    https://www.virology.ws/2021/02/09/...r-on-long-covid-and-somatic-symptom-disorder/

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2021
    Frankie, Simbindi, Cheshire and 13 others like this.
  18. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

From Mr Tuller's post:
    Exactly. It is their standard operating procedure: make a brief note of the limitation, then ignore it in their conclusions and recommendations.

–––––––

From the comment left by CT:

It seems that 38.2% of cardiology patients initially diagnosed with MUS were misdiagnosed, but this somehow doesn’t matter?!

That is an awful lot of delay in diagnosis and treatment of a serious major killer. How that improves outcomes for it, or the rest of society, escapes me.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
    Frankie, Simbindi, Cheshire and 12 others like this.
  19. rvallee

Delays in diagnosis for common neurological diseases are already several years on average. This will make it all so much worse. It's baffling that people whose job it is to think about that don't see it (or aren't concerned by it, hard to say which). Especially as they harp against biomedical research for being hard, the only thing that makes any significant progress in medicine. This here is pure regression.

Frankie, Simbindi, Sean and 3 others like this.
  20. rvallee

I too love to just put labels and boxes in random orders to make what I guess must be some kind of point here.

Not sure how a CBT expert is also an expert in chronic illness but whatever it's not as if labels matter or something.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1357637061658968069

Simbindi, Ariel and Sean like this.