1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Trisha Greenhalgh on ME/CFS and Long Covid

Discussion in 'UK clinics and doctors' started by Helene, Jan 13, 2021.

1. Leila

Leila Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What does GBD mean?

I got blocked long time ago, also just by 1st or 2nd degree association with I don't know who she doesn't like or something.

FMMM1 and petrichor like this.
  2. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Lots of things, but Go [in] Balls Deep is one of them...I don't know whether this is actually what she means, but it fits the context.

alktipping, FMMM1 and Leila like this.
  3. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ah sorry I should have explained. Great Barrington Declaration. This was the group that can shoulder much of the blame for the current (Covid, not monkeypox) and ongoing pandemic disaster. Their position was that vaccines were unnecessary, lockdowns harmful and that everyone should rush to get infected with SARS-CoV-2 in order to develop herd immunity.

Even at the time this position was not scientifically justifiable. It is now clear that there is no long term protective immunity. They were also anti-mask and deniers of long Covid.

From my perspective, NZ did very well in the first 18 months of the pandemic. The elimination strategy kept the population safe and life (within the country) was completely normal - including rugby games and concerts. International travel was severely compromised, however. With that penalty NZ had one of the lowest mortality rates. Australia was similar. Having abandoned elimination in favour of (fairly modest) mitigation, NZ and Aus have the 2nd and 5th highest mortality rates currently (although overall both are still very low).

bobbler, alktipping, Ariel and 16 others like this.
  4. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Consider the alternative --- wouldn't you prefer to be blocked!

Keela Too, alktipping, ukxmrv and 3 others like this.
  5. FMMM1

Surely the problem is the studies are crap - they're unreliable ---- that's all the deliberation you need --- trying to read something into unreliable studies isn't "deliberation" it's failing to objectively assess the evidence.
    All the studies point to a small positive effect --- but they're all unblinded and use subjective controls (questionnaires) ---- Oh and the limited objective data collected (which couldn't be suppressed/hidden/lost) shows these interventions don't work.

This salutation shows why scientific method matters --- Trisha Greenhalgh #IStandWithUkraine ----Professor of Primary Care, University of Oxford.
    With a role like that you'd expect reliable interpretation of data --- rather than just making up some crap to prove your (unfounded) opinions are correct ---

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2022
  6. FMMM1

Excuse me being lazy but are these deaths in the vaccinated but vulnerable (underling health conditions) seems a bit worrying.
    If they're in the unvaccinated then that's slightly different.

Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  7. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

From [Preprint] Zero-COVID policy or Living-with-COVID policy? Analysis Based on Percent Excess Mortality (2022) —

For this article: PEM = "Percent excess mortality"; ZC = "zero COVID" (elimination strategy); LWC = "living with COVID" (mitigation strategy).​

8. FMMM1

Peter Trewhitt and alktipping like this.
  9. bobbler

bobbler Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sounds like the social media equivalent of the person who surrounds themselves with 'yes men'

and using the old-worn by BPS tactic of then claiming that anticipatorarily (whatever the word is) blocking anyone who reads science assuming they might say anything other than 'yeah read the abstract you are wonderful' was instead blocking people who 'insert disparaging term to undermine others from listening to them'.

I can only assume from her comment about finding some 'clever trick' means some tool that allows her to look up anyone with 'ME or CFS' or 'follows s4me' or whatever in reality - is that possible?

10. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Ariel and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  11. BrightCandle

BrightCandle Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Are the clots not pretty universal? The immune system changes, the metabolic adjustments. We don't need a complete picture of the disease to start using these tests to confirm sufferers. Its infuriating that the world will happily roll on with a PCR test that is about 95% effective and a Laterol flow test that requires substantual viral load and detects about 80% of infections but a few different blood tests that find the vast majority of Long haulers is not acceptable. When did perfect become the goal and why does it only apply to ME/CFS and related diseases?

There is something that irritates me a little on the Vaccine verses Virus safety right after. They give statistics about how many lives the vaccine saves but they don't give stats for how many people have been harmed, people have been harmed by the vaccination and not acknowledging that is a problem, if you are going to say the balance is for the vaccination you have to present the data for both sides or you failed to scientifically dismiss the myth.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2022
  12. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Greenhalgh demonstrates her complete lack of understanding of how you judge scientific literature. She seems to assume that the reports of immune changes and microclots are real - maybe 'just in some people'. The reality is that these findings are at a stage where nobody should regard them as adequately established as real. The literature is full of findings like this that prove impossible to replicate and are probably due to errors in methodology.

So I am sorry to say @BrightCandle that I would suggest the opposite. There is nothing there at all for clinical use at present. Greenhalgh is as gullible as a Guardian journalist.

It is remarkable that she is now guilty of exactly the same mistake that has made ME 'activists' look foolish in the past - overegging doubtful studies as a basis for the claim that the illness is real. You can tell the illness is real if you listen to people describing it. And she is supposed to be a great GP listener to lived experience. She spins round like a weather vane.

Sarah94, lycaena, alktipping and 8 others like this.
  13. Sid

Sid Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A long time ago when I was in college they made us read Greenhalgh’s book How to read a paper. This woman was venerated like a god for some reason. Scrolling through her Twitter feed is pretty hilarious. Block everyone who disagrees, block anyone who follows anyone who disagrees, Reddit-tier understanding of science, Ukrainian flag in bio - the whole package.

Joan Crawford, EzzieD, BurnA and 6 others like this.
  14. Andy

Andy Committee Member

TG on Twitter.

"Writing a paper. Can anyone point me to studies published early in the pandemic which dismissed long covid as "functional" or "all in the mind"? (Just to be clear: this isn't a view I share but I want to analyse the reasoning of those who said it). THANKS all. Will post summary."

MEMarge, Sarah94, Barry and 8 others like this.
  15. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If she hadn't blocked the whole ME community, I'm sure she'd get lots of help with this one.

I see Alan Carson assist her though with:

If you’re willing to be open minded i d be happy to take you through why many in neurosciences think this

Maybe the problem is your use of dismissed which implies one form of aetiology as more worthy than another- as far as neurological symptoms go there is mounting clinical and scientific evidence of a functional cause but this doesn’t mean the patient is any less sick or deserving

16. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I pagliacci.

Sean, FMMM1, CRG and 1 other person like this.
  17. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

18. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

19. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

20. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MEMarge, Sarah94, Barry and 6 others like this.