1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Tricia Pendergrast et al on housebound versus non-housebound ME-patients. Study correctly described?

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Kalliope, Dec 18, 2017.

1. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I've tried reading this article but I stopped half way when it said:
    I assume the Planting pots are an odd artefact of Google translate. I can't make any sense of the article.

Edit - or was the whole thing written by a computer program. The next sentence mentions botox injections.

And now it's just getting silly:

2. Indigophoton

Indigophoton Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Actually this article appears to be a mangled version of this one, from last June,
    http://simmaronresearch.com/2017/06...activation-in-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-mecfs/

The paper was published in September of last year (and discussed at the other place):

PLoS One. 2017 Sep 7;12(9):e0184325. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0184325. eCollection 2017.Altered right anterior insular connectivity and loss of associated functions in adolescent chronic fatigue syndrome.
    Wortinger LA1,2, Glenne Øie M2,3, Endestad T2, Bruun Wyller V1.

3. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Lost all respect for Wyller as a researcher after he recently claimed in the Journal for the Norwegian Medical Association that of course ME-patients should be encouraged to try Lightning Process. :banghead:
    Wasn't a big fan before either, and I think it is telling that he NEVER attends the international research conferences on ME. That's inexcusable.

4. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wyller seems terrible. He recently offered a nothing defence of the PACE trial too.

Inara, Invisible Woman, Atle and 2 others like this.
  5. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm not at all amazed. Wyller's intended audience is not us, it is those in charge of making health policy and medical decisions. It is the perfect reply for that audience - an authorative "top scientists disagree", nothing to see here move along. If he engages with the details, they will go, "hang on" and get confused. He is relying on such people to not even bother looking at the details - which is the norm by the way - most authorities don't bother.

Inara, Solstice, Valentijn and 5 others like this.
  6. Esther12

Yeah, I can see that from a propaganda perspective, but what I meant is that now we also have authority figures criticising PACE, being on the wrong side of the argument seems more likely to harm one's own career in the long-run, so failing to engage with the details of the debate seems much more personally risky. Wyller wasn't tied to PACE in the way some were (although there are separate problems with his own work), so for him to now put forth such a weak defence of PACE seems likely to be self-defeating for him in the near future.

Inara, Kalliope and Invisible Woman like this.
  7. Snow Leopard

Well he's defending it because he is still a true believer.

Inara likes this.
  8. Esther12

I guess that's what's bewildering for me. Wouldn't he want to check that he's on the right side with this one?

9. Snow Leopard

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Inara and Esther12 like this.
  10. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Ah, Snowy, your cynicism is coming along nicely. You will make a fine old curmudgeon. :thumbup:

This is a good point to get to, where the risks for the still uncommitted of throwing their lot in with an existing school/faction/theory are becoming obvious and well-known.

Nobody likes backing a loser, especially if it could wreck your career and income.