1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Time for Unrest": ME article by Nathalie Wright

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by MsUnderstood, Jan 7, 2018.

1. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There doesn't appear to be a plural of ethos. Plurals would never have an apostrophe in them as far as I know!

2. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

How about saying we all have a slightly different ethos?

3. Liv aka Mrs Sowester

Liv aka Mrs Sowester Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It was the suggestion that the autocorrect spellcheck thingie gave me, I knew I shouldn't have trusted it! It seems to think ethos is a name.

4. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Re the gender ratio, some of us are carers. I am, but also represent a daughter.

5. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Wasn't he one of the three Muskeeters? Ethos, Pathos and Mythos? Or they are all Greek beers ;)

6. MESteveW

MESteveW Established Member

this place is great feels like the intellect of PR without the drama and I recognise a few faces also ;)

7. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senior Member (Voting Rights)

No, I checked your profile and you don't have any gender. :D

8. ladycatlover

ladycatlover Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Interesting the forum stats! Might I make a suggestion? Certainly when I was at secondary school back in the 60s not many girls went in for science. Things have gradually been improving, maybe from the 80s(?) but now seem to be un-improving again. :confused: So my guess would be that some women might be put off by the Science in the forum name. :cry: Many from my generation for sure. :arghh: Please don't shout at me! ;)

Luther Blissett, Inara and Trish like this.
  9. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wondered that. Maybe the header strip should be pink? ;)

10. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Perhaps the women who might be put off by the name would be better off with other forums anyway? After all, we can't be all things to all people. And given how long it took to finally decide on the name, it's unlikely we will be revisiting it anytime soon. :)

adambeyoncelowe, MEMarge, Mij and 7 others like this.
  11. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Don't you dare, I hate pink ;)

No idea whether Science in the name would put off women more than men. My observation over the years as a teacher was that it was the physical sciences and engineering that were seen as 'boy' subjects with far fewer girls doing them.

The biological sciences were much more gender balanced. And now that stuff like psychology and sociology are referred to as 'social sciences' I suspect the word science has become much less off putting.

But you need to ask the non scientists - I grew up with a science teacher mother who was born in 1917, so I have a skewed view!

12. Liv aka Mrs Sowester

Liv aka Mrs Sowester Senior Member (Voting Rights)

And nor should we try :)

Samuel, Indigophoton, MEMarge and 8 others like this.
  13. Valentijn

Valentijn Guest

I doubt it ... not sure what the stats were on the other forum, but the most prolific posters were pretty evenly split between men and women. It might just be a difference in how people use the internet, or willingness of women to display their gender on the internet.

:expressionless: You first:
    [​IMG]

Indigophoton, MEMarge, MeSci and 7 others like this.
  14. Jonathan Edwards

Looks like a pink-browed rosefinch.

:expressionless: You first:
    [​IMG][/QUOTE]

15. Valentijn

Valentijn Guest

Himalayan white-browed rosefinch :cool:

16. Jonathan Edwards

Thats what I said - looks like a pink browed rose finch, but not quite like!:(

Daisybell, TiredSam, MEMarge and 9 others like this.
  17. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's more likely to be a picture of a bird on a twig, than any actual bird, it can't be a specific type of bird because it's not actually a bird :p

Indigophoton, TiredSam, Trish and 3 others like this.
  18. Jonathan Edwards

Ceci n'est pas un oiseau de type particulière?

the-treason-of-images-this-is-not-a-pipe-600x600.jpg

Indigophoton, MEMarge, Trish and 3 others like this.
  19. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

No.

TBH it may not even be a picture of a bird, but that rapidly gets more complicated than my brain can handle.

20. ladycatlover

ladycatlover Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hmm, I think maybe where you were made a difference. I started my secondary education at a brand new grammar school in Stanmore (now part of Greater London I think) with fantastic labs and enthusiastic science teachers. After 2 years there I was really keen on science. Then my parents moved to The Wirral (across the River from Liverpool), to West Kirby, a small seaside town on the banks of the River Dee. I went to the grammar school there.

The labs were at least 40 years out of date (as were the science staff). But my enthusiasm continued and after O-Levels I went into the Science VI Form to study Biology, Chemistry and Physics. Out of the whole of my year I think only 6 out of around 30 of us did Science, 2 went on to be doctors, one I think was part of the first intake of nursing degrees, one did business studies, not sure what the last person ended up studying. I failed Physics, so didn't go to Uni, but trained as a Med Lab Tech and eventually gained HNC in Clinical Chemistry (most of which I've forgotten now!) before heading off to art school shortly after getting married. :artist:

And I doubt there was much science at all in the local secondary modern school.

So very area or school dependent for girls back then, or I just hit a black spot! :(

My Mum was born in 1917 too. I don't believe she stayed at school long enough to get her General Certificate even. She worked in the family baker and tea shop business as a waitress until she married my Dad. And then stayed at home and did housework and cooked and baked - a woman's place is in the home! ;)

So similar then - despite supposed 4 to 1 women to men with the DD the posters are probably fairly evenly distributed so far as we can tell?

Indigophoton, MEMarge, Trish and 4 others like this.