1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Time for Unrest": ME article by Nathalie Wright

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by MsUnderstood, Jan 7, 2018.

1. janice

janice Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well I was not put off by the word Science in the title. However I've had a fair bit of practice in ignoring weird views during late 70s and early 80s.

For example a male head of Physics wouldn't have me in his A level class saying "Girls can't do Physics"!
    At this same school I wasn't allowed to play Basketball for the same reason!

Then at Uni a male peer in my halls of residence muttered something to me about his mate would have made more use of my place cos I was only going to get married and have kids......

All so weird to think now but hopefully make somebody smile or even better, laugh out loud.

2. ladycatlover

ladycatlover Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Good for you @janice! :hug: And welcome to the Forum. :) I'm sure you'll have fun here. :party:

Indigophoton, Barry, Inara and 7 others like this.
  3. Valentijn

Valentijn Guest

I started playing text-based hack-and-slash games in the 1990's, where the general view was that female characters were created to get free equipment from other players in exchange for being groped.

Fortunately that was easily sorted out by stabbing people in the face a lot :emoji_hugging:

4. Luther Blissett

Luther Blissett Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There are similar problems in the area of rape.

In recent collections of official statistics of sexual violence is collected, published and studied under the name of Violence against Women and Girls. Trying to explain why this is not helpful to men and boys who are victims is a minefield of dogma, anger, prejudice, bad faith, hurt feelings, splits, etc etc.

Asking for nuance and consideration is important to me when talking about how things that primarily effect women should be acknowledged, how we advocate around it, and try not to leave anyone behind.

When done well, it has the capacity to change things, and build new alliances.

It's important to note that there is no such thing as monolithic Feminism, there are different types of feminisms. (and now it looks like i'm trying to explain feminism to women as a male :facepalm:, sorry it's not my intention)

Skycloud, Indigophoton, Barry and 8 others like this.
  5. Luther Blissett

Luther Blissett Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It was for their own good. Sometimes you just have to come up with practical solutions.

6. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

I once met a young female bricklayer who was told by a colleague "You've got my son's job". I didn't realise people made the same kind of comment at Uni, I assumed it was just bricklayers, so might I take the opportunity to publicly apologize to any bricklayers reading for my unwarranted and prejudiced assumptions?

By the way, welcome @janice, you'll get lots of friendly and helpful advice here ...

7. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

As black humour goes @Luther Blissett that's pretty droll :D