1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Time for Unrest": ME article by Nathalie Wright

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by MsUnderstood, Jan 7, 2018.

1. MsUnderstood

MsUnderstood Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Here's an excellent article published at independent.co.uk, plus on a number of other news sites:

"Time for Unrest: Why patients with ME are demanding justice
    A new film sheds light on a condition that is largely ignored. Nathalie Wright reports on the struggles patients face to be taken seriously by doctors"

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/l...chronic-fatigue-illness-disease-a8133616.html

It's a long read, but well worthwhile. It contains information about Jen Brea and Jessica Taylor from "Unrest", and goes on to say:

"Such stories of extreme physical debility are not, however, the most shocking part of the documentary. What has prompted a global justice movement is the fact that many doctors still refuse to accept that ME exists at all."

The article describes the history of the illness and covers the scandals associated with the biopsychosocial model, the PACE trial, the reanalysis, conflicts of interest with the disability insurance industry, plus a summary of research developments, and activism activities.

2. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That looks really good. I'm not going to be able to read it all now, but I'm really looking forward to doing so tomorrow. Thanks for posting.

3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Best article I've seen pulling together the history of where it all went wrong thanks to British psychiatrists and egged on by vested interests in health insurance and government. Ranges across Unrest, PACE, forced exercise treatment etc. Let's hope it gets widely read.

Anyone know what other news sites are running it, and whether it's in the paper version of the Independent?

4. Sbag

Sbag Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It made me cry, it was so good at summarising the situation to date and reporting it in an easy to read article that those without ME will be able to get the picture in an informed way.

5. Alis

Alis Senior Member (Voting Rights)

it will probably take me a few days to read it all .but from what ive read great article.Thank you @Nathalie Wright

6. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wow. The tide IS turning.

7. Daisymay

Daisymay Senior Member (Voting Rights)

To explain so much of the ME saga so well, so clearly and succinctly ( ok I know it's long but it's still succinct!), it's brilliant. Thank you very much indeed Nathalie Wright and the Independent.

8. EzzieD

EzzieD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I just read the whole thing and wow, it is very good. An excellent informative and detailed article that says it like it is about both the disease itself and the political machinations involved in the years of denying/trivialising it, with plenty of links to references. My one concern though, is whether the article will be allowed to stand or if a 'quiet phone call' might result in its sudden disappearance, because it really exposes a lot of BS for all to see. HUGE thanks and kudos to the author and the Independent for such a brave piece. An absolute must-read.

9. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Nathalie Wright Very well written, one of the best articles on ME/CFS i can remember reading :)

I don't think the internet archive is under the jurisdiction of the NHS :D

10. guest001

guest001 Guest

I agree. Excellent article. I think destined to become one of the 'go to' articles when required to present a precised but accurate account of the politics of this disease and how it impacts people with the disease.

11. EzzieD

Good idea! :cookie: (But I would like to see it stand online in its current position in a mainstream paper.)

Moosie, ladycatlover, Barry and 11 others like this.
  12. Alvin

Yup, its already immortalized, though the video is not, hopefully someone has a backup copy

ladycatlover, Barry, Dolphin and 4 others like this.
  13. EzzieD

Do you mean the trailer video that plays at the top of the page? It's also found on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvK5s9BNLzA

ladycatlover, Barry, Dolphin and 4 others like this.
  14. Andy

Andy Committee Member

It's the forum software trying to be super useful, which it normally is. To show the actual URL for media like YouTube, Twitter etc that will normally auto-embed, one work-around is to use the "Code" option from the "Insert..." drop-down menu
    Screen shot 2018-01-07 at 11.33.30.png
    to give you this
    Code:
    https://youtu.be/JvK5s9BNLzA

Barry, Samuel, Allele and 5 others like this.
  15. EzzieD

Thanks for the advice! I've now edited the post to make it look more sensible.

Luther Blissett and Andy like this.
  16. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Back on topic, I agree that it's a fantastic article. It could well be worth starting to think that things are changing in the mainstream media, possibly, maybe. ;)

For any Facebook-ers who are thinking of sharing it, sharing from the S4ME post would be useful to us.

ETA: Thanks to @MsUnderstood for some of the text for the post, the creative part of my brain is running slow this morning.

17. Liv aka Mrs Sowester

Liv aka Mrs Sowester Senior Member (Voting Rights)

18. Alvin

How didn't i realize its the trailer, can i blame cognitive dysfunction :ill:

19. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

From the end of James Coyne's article:

Please read the whole thing and give him the traffic at:

https://jcoynester.wordpress.com/20...une-for-the-biopsychosocial-model-of-illness/

20. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Do we know if the Independent story is in the paper version?