1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Time for Unrest": ME article by Nathalie Wright

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by MsUnderstood, Jan 7, 2018.

1. MESteveW

MESteveW Established Member

I came onto here to join in the discussion about this article from the Independent (having previously been on PR and recognising some 'faces' around here already!)...I'm not sure why I only just saw the article floating through facebook seeing as it was published on the 6th, but as I read it I really thought wow - it must be the first time all of the essential structure to the UK based problems have been published in a mainstream media outlet? Even the insurance angles! I could barely believe it...I was expecting it to end but it just kept going deeper lol...

My only sadness was this line: "ME, like autoimmune diseases, mainly affects women and is often developed in the prime of life, though children are also affected. "

Whilst its broadly correct, lets not forget us guys out there - still 50k odd in the UK! ;)...I feel a bit reluctant to share with my friends because it sort of edits me out of the conversation...

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
  2. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Welcome to S4ME @MESteveW
    Personally, I don't have an issue with the wording and was happy to share it. After all, the quote is "mainly affects women and is often developed in the prime of life, though children are also affected.", which clearly shows that men are affected.

3. MESteveW

fair enough! I've read and enjoy Nathalies other articles including the one posing the question of sexism potentially having an impact in the situation, which I agree with and have heard shocking reports of anecdotally...but still yes for me I would like the guys to also be counted in the narrative especially when there is such a good article overall. By counted that could be literally like saying 'ME affects 4:1 women to men like many other auto-immune diseases etc'...

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
  4. MESteveW

yes thank you Jonathan!

Can we please do this!!!

5. Luther Blissett

Luther Blissett Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I would say that it is true that it mainly effects women, and as long as the word 'mainly' or synonyms are used, it shouldn't affect us. :hug:

(It also makes the wandering womb hypothesis extra silly. I wonder where it wandered from?)

janice, Inara, ladycatlover and 11 others like this.
  6. Andy

Andy Committee Member

If my waistline is anything to go by, I appear to be in receipt of several other people's wandering wombs ;)

Viola, Missense, janice and 16 others like this.
  7. Liv aka Mrs Sowester

Liv aka Mrs Sowester Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Do we know what the male to female ratio is in our membership here at S4ME?

8. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Male: 179
    Female: 331
    Unspecified: 140

9. Liv aka Mrs Sowester

So 2:1 ish. And only rising to 4:1 ish if all of the unspecified members are female. Interesting.

10. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Or 1:1 if all of the unspecified people are male :p

11. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My recollection of the late 1980's is that it was thought that there was a roughly equal split of males to females in the sudden onset category, and higher ratio of females to males in the slow onset. I don't know whether this was valid research or whether it has been corroborated.

12. Dr Carrot

Dr Carrot Senior Member (Voting Rights)

As a slight sidetone - I would suggest that in the current climate, framing the poor treatment of ME/CFS as a feminist issue is actually a good idea. Certainly I think that it's meant that more sympathetic articles have been published in women's magazines, which can only be a good thing. If someone sees it as a great injustice against one gender and acts accordingly, then both genders benefit from it anyway.

13. Andy

Andy Committee Member

I completely agree, that also made me wonder though if it would be possible to get some sort of article in something like Men's Health - at a guess it would perhaps need to be along the lines of "feel like you have over-trained but rest doesn't relieve it? It may just be ME", and could then go into the fact that while most sufferers are women, there is still a substantial male patient population, and how being macho about it won't help. Just a thought.

14. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I didn't specify (cause I'm an awkward cuss) but I can confirm I am female so:
    Male: 179
    Female: 332
    Unspecified: 139

I daresay that doesn't really help tho' !

15. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Given your username I assume its an implied covenant?

16. Invisible Woman

A very good one.

I read an article in a magazine about a guy who had breast cancer. How the assumptions made about all people with breast cancer being women affected him and his treatment. I read it in a magazine in a waiting room some where and it really stuck with me in a " Wow! Never thought of it that way!" kind of way.

17. Invisible Woman

Yep, but will be unspecified in the stats.

18. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

very true, i forget if i put my gender in but the name and avatar suggest i'm male

19. MESteveW

20. Liv aka Mrs Sowester

That article says somewhere between 4.5:1 and 8:1 - that's quite a difference. Also very interesting that our ratios here at S4ME don't tally (unless all the unspecified are female).
    I'm sure a sociologist would have fun musing on why that may be.

I couldn't work out where to find the ratio on PR or HR - anyone else know? Just wondering how we all stack up given we all have slightly differing ethos's (is that the plural of ethos? It doesn't look right).