1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Neurological Alliance: Patient experience survey

Discussion in 'Advocacy Projects and Campaigns' started by Andy, Dec 4, 2018.

1. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If you want a graph that shows it differently (which would be more logical and easier to understand), I tried to make one:
    upload_2019-7-10_11-18-25.png

2. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

One problem with reducing "quality of life" or "ability to carry out day to day activities" is it doesn't take into account within-disease variation. It says nothing of the degree of variation and overlap...

Annamaria, Sarah94 and Andy like this.
  3. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There's also the possibility that quality of life in ME/CFS is so low because a large impairment to do activities is part of most case definitions. Perhaps some patients have the same illness in a less severe form. But because of the severity requirement in case definitions, they would not be diagnosed with ME/CFS. In neurological illnesses that are based on biological marks, the diagnosis is made differently and there might be less of a selection based on severity.

I do remember a study by Jasons group which said that the severity criterium is redundant in case definitions with multiple symptoms and PEM as a requirement, but I can't find it at the moment.

4. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

I have what’s called mild ME I’ve had to retire from my job, having to sell my house to live somewhere more accessible, moving cities because travelling back and forth a 100 mile one hour each way trip makes a lot of my potential social activity out of reach, I cant manage a one basket supermarket shop without feeling wiped out. I can make it out of the house so I’m lucky in ME terms but literally everything I do is affected by ME all the time so yeah my quality of life is badly affected.

5. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That is not mild in any stretch of the imagination...

6. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

I agree but I can still do stuff live alone do all my activities of dailyliving for myself in ME terms it is mild/moderate borderline. But that’s just comparing with people with ME. We had a great thread a while back about severity and terminology. And I definitely vote for ditching mild.

7. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, if the question was "How many times", why is the label on the left axis in percents?