1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

The course of the illness for ME patients in Norway, 2021, Schei and Angelsen

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by ME/CFS Skeptic, Mar 11, 2021.

1. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

My feeling is the first spike may just be noise particularly looking at the overall trend as the surounding years are lower. But the red spike does look a little different - However, data does this sometimes and it could be due to more people getting ME but equally it could be due to some sampling issue such as more people joining patient organizations that year due to increased publicity etc (although I might expect that to smooth out over a few years?).

I don't think the data can say anything definative but it does perhaps suggest an interesting possibility that could be monitored such as ensuring onset is recorded in patient records to see if increased onset happens after wider spread disease but follow ups would also be necessary to see if people recover.

I am wondering if there is a peak of occurance of ME after an emdemic or local disease outbreak tells us something interesting? Are people preconditioned and a virus triggers and if so is this preconditioning a temporary state? I'm wondering if there are different hypothesises in terms of mechanism which would lead to different stats and that could be explored with a mathematical model?

Michelle, MEMarge, MeSci and 2 others like this.
  2. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It would be really interesting to know whether there have been fewer EBV-associated cases during the pandemic. Transmission among young people often occurs in and around secondary and tertiary education settings, and this may have been reduced by closures and social distancing.

It would be good to have basic information such as what proportion of overall cases are down to EBV – there could be some surprises.

Michelle, MEMarge, MeSci and 2 others like this.
  3. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

Are you suggesting that some viruses seem to trigger ME more that others and that could be interesting info? I guess it could be interesting from the perspective of understanding infection paths.