1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

The biology of coronavirus COVID-19 - including research and treatments

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Trish, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Wits_End

Wits_End Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2021
    Sean and SNT Gatchaman like this.
  2. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

3. Wits_End

I make a point of never believing anything Jenny Harries says: it's served me well so far.

lunarainbows, Michelle and Trish like this.
  4. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I just saw a twitter thread about a study comparing the transmission of coronavirus by vaccinated vs. un-vaccinated people.

First tweet - "A study out of the University of Illinois shows vaccinated individuals with a 'breakthrough' infection are LESS likely to shed infectious virus at a given viral load, shed for a SHORTER period of time compared to unvaccinated individuals, AND report fewer days of symptoms."
    Code:
    https://twitter.com/sailorrooscout/status/1433788553465679906
    I don't have the scientific background to analyze this study, so please don't ask me what it means! Just passing along the information! :)

Link to study (from last tweet in the twitter thread) - https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.08.30.21262701v1

5. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://twitter.com/user/status/1433793029803069448

6. Amw66

Last edited: Sep 16, 2021
  7. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

8. Wits_End

Can't think of a better place to post this:

(UK) Charges to be introduced for Covid lateral flow tests within ‘months’ in ‘reckless’ move

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/ukne...ckless-move/ar-AAOzR5W?ocid=ASUDHP&li=BBoPWjQ

Absolute genius. Discourage people from getting tested by making them pay for their LFTs. A great way of keeping track of the disease. Not. Because it will cost the NHS so much less if we have additional outbreaks requiring hospitalisation than it will to pay for the kits. :banghead:

Jan, JemPD, Mithriel and 1 other person like this.
  9. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

SNT Gatchaman and Forbin like this.
  10. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

[Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere...]

Merck has announced that they have developed an antiviral pill, "molnupiravir," that has cut Covid-19 hospitalizations and deaths in half. "The pills could be available by late this year."

A limitation of the drug is that, like some other Covid-19 drugs, it is more effective when taken earlier in the disease. This requires rapid diagnosis as well as quick access to the drug.

11. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is great news, though I can't seem to find published results yet. If the results aren't nearly as good as monoclonal antibodies then I'll be slightly less excited.

Prior data was reported here, but an effect on clinical outcomes wasn't measured. https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.06.17.21258639v1

FMMM1, Forbin, Yessica and 4 others like this.
  12. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Forbin likes this.
  13. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Study reveals why some people get Covid toe condition

(looks rather like gout, and often hurts like hell!)

Study reveals why some people get Covid toe condition - BBC News

Scientists believe they can explain why some people who catch Covid develop chilblain-like lesions on their toes and even fingers.

Covid toe appears to be a side effect of the body switching into attack mode to fight off the virus.
    The researchers say they have pinpointed the parts of the immune system that appear to be involved.
    The findings, in the British Journal of Dermatology, may help with treatments to ease the symptoms.

Continues at link, dated 6.10.21

Wits_End, Sean and mango like this.
  14. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Fingers, too. But I guess that's lost because it's not as visible. Lots of things get lost because they aren't obvious at first. So many things, almost all the things.

I had this for years, fingers and toes (almost like it's about extremities...), so it's not a temporary switch to fight off infection, it can clearly be chronic, but medicine won't see that for years, if ever, because once you remove the obvious discoloration, it just becomes another symptom that can't be verified.

Amw66, Mithriel and mango like this.
  15. mango

mango Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The Swedish guidelines for covid-19 testing will be changed on November 1st. Those who are fully vaccinated or have recently had covid-19, and children younger than 6 years old, will no longer be recommended to get tested when they have symptoms.

This will obviously affect everything, including research. :(:grumpy:

Currently about 79% of the Swedish population 16 years or older have been vaccinated with two doses. Approx 64% if you include the whole population.

An opinion piece published in SvD last week explains some of the problems with this approach:

”Fel att sluta testa vaccinerade personer”
    https://www.svd.se/fel-att-sluta-testa-vaccinerade-personer

16. Wits_End

17. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

18. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Direct SARS-CoV-2 infection of the human inner ear may underlie COVID-19-associated audiovestibular dysfunction

https://www.nature.com/articles/s43856-021-00044-w.pdf

@Mij

merylg, AliceLily, FMMM1 and 6 others like this.
  19. Skycloud

Skycloud Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well that’s interesting. One of the symptoms I had whilst covid infected was earache. It was a stabbing pain occurred just over a couple of days and then just stopped. This reoccurred a few times over the next 6 months as short bouts of the same stabbing pain that would come and go in less than a couple of hours. One of my daughters who had covid at the same time reported the same thing. No visible sign of infection. I can’t say that I know what’s happened with that or what my experience means, but I’m not surprised by this:

merylg, AliceLily, Ash and 4 others like this.
  20. Amw66