1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

The biology of coronavirus COVID-19 - including research and treatments

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Trish, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Subtropical Island

Subtropical Island Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My review of googled publications suggests that delta is not dramatically mutated from past covid-19 (so reasonable to assume it will behave much the same until proven otherwise),
    the main differences (identifed and verified so far ETA I mean just that there’s limited delta variant specific published info that I could find due to timescale) being that
    significantly more of the virus is produced in the lungs
    (so the odds of transmission go way up, making fleeting indoor contact more likely to result in exposure and transmission)
    and the time from exposure to being contagious yourself is significantly shorter (more likely to transmit in the early stages when you don’t realise it’s important).

This greater density of virus means that some of the earlier predictions about surface transmission are more reasonable (remember those trials where they sprayed heaps of virus on surfaces and tested them later? - but then reviewers pointed out that the concentration of virus in the spray was greater than a realworld sneeze was likely to provide - now it’s a better model for delta perhaps).
    At this stage it seems unlikely to be more than that, just more (ETA: density, not necessarily more durability than statisitics gives it) than the lower level governments have since grown accustomed to.

Just my gleaning of research findings plus supposition, not authoritative.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2021
    Wyva, mango, Michelle and 1 other person like this.
  2. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I doubt it is much different. Delta is slightly better at getting into and out of cells once it is already in your body. It isn't any better at surviving on surfaces.

3. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't have a reference, sorry, but a few days ago I read a news article about one of the UK train companies who did a comprehensive survey of surfaces like handrails in stations and carriages and also 1 hour air collections at different times of day.

They found no trace of virus.

That is not an argument for no mask wearing as you could be standing next to someone who is excreting virus but it made them confident in their cleaning systems.

I also read that there is not much evidence for surface transmission when following patient contacts. Not to say it can't happen but the virus is so widespread it would be apparent by now if it was common.

Handwashing and disinfecting has probably been the best defence.

4. Wits_End

Wits_End Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It was in the Evening Standard, certainly.

Mithriel likes this.
  5. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://twitter.com/user/status/1424011542195023878

Most identified cases are mild. Hard to tell what policies will be derived from this. If the assumption is that mild cases are acceptable, there may be growing incentives to stamp down hard on denying Long Covid as it would be the main argument against simply pretending it's all over.

6. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

7. mango

mango Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Neurochemical signs of astrocytic and neuronal injury in acute COVID-19 normalizes during long-term follow-up
    Kanberg et al
    https://www.thelancet.com/journals/ebiom/article/PIIS2352-3964(21)00305-4/fulltext

Press release by University of Gothenburg
    https://www.gu.se/en/news/no-signs-of-brain-injury-post-acute-covid-19

"No signs of brain injury post-acute COVID-19
    Sahlgrenska Academy, Sweden

In a recent study from University of Gothenburg, it has been shown that all participants achieve normalization of CNS injury biomarkers, regardless of previous disease severity or persistent neurological symptoms. Indicating that post-COVID-19 neurological sequalae are not due to active brain injury."
    Press release in Swedish.

8. Snow Leopard

The Tweeter is simply incorrect. 77% of the population with one dose means they have not reached "herd immunity" for R0>5.
    The current numbers in Iceland are similar to those predicted (in a previous post) by the Grattan institute.

9. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Does anyone know when Novavax plans to apply for approval in UK?

Will it be in time for autumn boosters? Has UK bought any Novavax?

Yessica likes this.
  10. Amw66

11. Snow Leopard

Likely in a few months when they actually have some supply.

This is speculation, but I expect Novavax to pivot at some stage to suggest that it is safer for young adults and children, compared to the other vaccines. If it is genuinely safer, it is likely to be the option used for under 12s.

FMMM1, Sean, Amw66 and 3 others like this.
  12. Amw66

13. Snow Leopard

That link is paywalled for me...

https://www.sciencefocus.com/news/how-we-could-turn-covid-against-itself/

In vitro research is a long way from clinical application...

Binkie4, Amw66, FMMM1 and 1 other person like this.
  14. Amw66

15. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

16. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yessica, Michelle and Mij like this.
  17. Amw66

18. Yessica

Yessica Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not sure where to post this. Could be helpful to use, if needing to.

I wouldn't share the link though. The introduction to ME/CFS is watered down.
    (Highlighting is mine.)

Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS) | CDC

Simbindi and Sean like this.
  19. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Don't know if we are more at risk of getting COVID or having worse outcomes. But common sense precaution would suggest that, at the least, we can't afford to lose any more function than we already have. So taking extra preventative steps seems wise.

merylg, chrisb, Simbindi and 3 others like this.
  20. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I find it extraordinary that we're not on the risk list of having worse outcomes. Most of us got ME from a viral illness. It seems likely that we have a genetic propensity for that. So we can surely expect to do badly with Covid - and indeed, to lose more function than we already have, as you say, Sean.

Jan, merylg, SNT Gatchaman and 8 others like this.