1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Special Report - Online activists are silencing us, scientists say Reuters March 2019

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Sly Saint, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Well said, Dan.

2. SallyC

SallyC Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Exactly. He 'worries' about Sharpe's 'harassment' but actually never mentions the treatments Sharpe advocates as recommendations. He confusingly says that there is evidence for pacing which I'm sure Sharpe would dispute! It's a completely on the fence piece which comes across as written by someone who either doesn't know much about the condition (and therefore shouldn't be opining on it) or isn't willing to reveal their own allegiances.

There is no mention of testing for conditions like POTS/OI etc which a GP could actually try to treat and provide some relief for. He ultimately says that a diagnosis of ME (like you quote) is not helpful because no help can be offered which is utter nonsense. In what situation is telling someone what their illness is not helpful? People get given terminal diagnoses and I cannot imagine what that feels like but a doctor wouldn't stray away from it because there is nothing more they can do.

This is rambling and I'm not making my point very well but this is a complete non-article.

3. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sadly not a non article for those with no knowledge of the condition.

JaimeS, Hutan, Snow Leopard and 10 others like this.
  4. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

One wonders where George Monbiot and Frances Ryan are, or why they may decide to steer clear.

EzzieD, Sean, Andy and 2 others like this.
  5. Skycloud

Skycloud Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Frances Ryan is expressing interest on Twitter (perhaps Rod Liddle has done us a favour), we'll have to see what if anything comes of it. I know that she has been aware to some degree about ME for some time.

6. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Presumably they are dependent upon their editors.

rvallee, Trish, Sean and 5 others like this.
  7. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

Poor Claire Fox, hoping in vain to be trolled so she can join Michael Sharpe's small gang of victims. I'm trying to imagine a sadder ambition in life, but I can't.

All it should take is one UK mainstream journalist to realise that Michael Sharpe's narrative is completely implausible. People don't leave their jobs because of trolls, they leave twitter. Stephen Fry didn't announce that he was leaving the entertainment business because of twitter, he announced that he was leaving twitter because it was crap and full of trolls. It will just take one journalist to say "MS can I see some evidence from that file on your computer", followed by "You have got to be kidding me - you call that harrassment?" and a long article about devious psychs making up social media trolling stories as a smokescreen when their appalling attempts at science are uncovered.

hinterland, Lisa108, JaimeS and 21 others like this.
  8. Skycloud

@Jonathan Edwards Should have added that according to Frances Ryan on Twitter the Guardian will be producing a piece soon

9. Cheshire

Cheshire Moderator Staff Member

Specially when he, in reality, has already left the field a few years ago, but just wants to be more dramatic by claiming he's leaving because of twitter harassment.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
    hinterland, JaimeS, Hutan and 12 others like this.
  10. Jonathan Edwards

Yes, I have emailed both of them.
    George Monbiot has never seemed dependent on an editor when it comes to exposing bad practice.

I fear that it is all too easy for everyone to think:

They say people with ME are nuts, maybe they are.
    It figures that they are angry and abusive because people are saying they are nuts.
    So let's leave it.

The longer that the advocacy narrative is that Sharpe is wrong because ME is 'biological rather than mental' the longer this mindset will continue and Sharpe will get away with his only argument.

But it is interesting to look at it the other way around. It seems that tiny David T with a stone and a sling at Virology Blog is now totally outnumbered by all these media Goliaths. Yet this collection of Goliaths is only there to shout down David, and somehow they seem to need to go on and on shouting - because David is still there and shows no signs of being disarmed.

11. ladycatlover

ladycatlover Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I may well be confused, but isn't this the sister that Fiona said had ME? :unsure:

12. Jonathan Edwards

And that is pretty worrying because if anyone at the Guardian is ever going to produce a piece that is any use they need to speak to someone like me. As Vincent Racaniello said to Kelland, she was not going to do an informed piece without contacting me.

NelliePledge, Trish, EzzieD and 5 others like this.
  13. Jonathan Edwards

We debated this before and I think there turned out to be two Claires, but this might still be the 'ME' one.

I cannot see how on earth anyone could call that interview brilliant. My wife pointed out that MK made it very clear that she had no interest and could not be bothered to raise the interview to a reasonable intellectual level - presumably because she was doing it because she had been told to.

The SMC line seems to be just keep shouting how wonderful your friends are and they will do the same.

14. Skycloud

I agree and think a piece produced 'soon' will likely rely heavily on Kelland's reuter's piece.

Andy likes this.
  15. Jonathan Edwards

Yet Ryan's tweet sounded sympathetic to PWME.

16. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Could some people who are on Twitter point out why it would be pretty ignorant for journalists working on ME to omit Jonathan Edwards' view on ME research? (Edit: And use polite wording if they do?)

https://www.s4me.info/threads/speci...ay-reuters-march-2019.8557/page-7#post-150530

It's M.E. Linda and Skycloud like this.
  17. SallyC

SallyC Senior Member (Voting Rights)

He is 'annoyingly persistent' to paraphrase Sharpe and that's why he's one of our heroes.

ETA: added 'one of' because we have many including you Jonathan.

18. Skycloud

I'm assuming that a 'soon' piece may not be one produced by Ryan, but I could very well be wrong. I think anything by Ryan would be sympathetic and hopefully accurate, though she would need to speak to people Kelland avoided, such as yourself, to do the subject justice.

(I'm guessing at this of course, and probably haven't ordered my thoughts well in my comments.)

19. Roy S

Roy S Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hutan, ukxmrv, Dolphin and 3 others like this.
  20. Jonathan Edwards

Skycloud likes this.